Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride – November 17th. Todmorden.
  • Clover

Glad everyone is ok. Are you coming back for another go?

I swept up the trail of dried mud through the house this morning. Tiled floors are ace.

stevedrakey
    Free Member

I will be out again, I find that if I put coco on the dirt the dog just licks our tiled floor clean 🙂

dazh

Anyone know if hope jockey wheels are worth the extra over shimano own?

Shimano jockey wheels are IMO a pile of *****. I’ve got some of these. Pricey but I’ve not had to change them yet and been running them for a while in all manner of crap.

Glad you made it back ok. You and sdf1 can share the ‘bike breakage victim of the week’ award.

mintimperial

I believe stevedrakey might have a couple of jockey wheels going spare…

Cheers for a “smashing” ride everyone. Glad to hear we all got home alright. 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

Hope we dont have to send the dog walkers out to look for them…

I assume the 11 mile-long bog we rode last night isn’t “an area popular with dog walkers”.

😉

Harry_the_Spider

Strava

http://www.strava.com/activities/220376960

The muddy bits are highlighted in red.

binners

How were the pies?

Harry_the_Spider

I went for the crisps. They were OK, but not as good as Lancashire Crisps.

dazh

Pies didn’t happen unfortunately cos they’d turned the oven off. They obviously didn’t anticipate a dozen hungry bikers covered in mud and cowsh*t walking through their door at 10.30pm. We’ll have to give them prior warning next time.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I went for the crisps. They were OK, but not as good as Lancashire Crisps

you were in Lancashire.

Harry_the_Spider

They were “Yarkshire Crisps” though.

I detected a hint of lemon and felt both surprised and violated.

dazh

Technically in Yorkshire, they moved the border up the hill towards bacup in 1888. My address still says Lancashire though and I have my telly tuned to NW Tonight so as far as I’m concerned it’s lancashire. They should have both types of crisps really just to be even-handed. I’ll tell them next time I’m in.

chipps

Being a card-carrying southerner, I declare that you were ‘in the north’ and therefore all the crisps are the same. Daz is right in that you were in Yorkshire – although the post code is Lancs (because the Yorkshire sorting office is in York, a long way away and the Lancs one is in Oldham, which isn’t.)

Tod Cross next year will be on Jan 4th and is billed as ‘War of the Roses’ – so come and wave your flags then…

brennak

What a brilliant ride, thanks to all who waited, thanks to our guides for showing new tracks after many years of thinking I knew them all. I fully intend to re-ride it when there is 16 hours of daylight and 4 weeks into a 6 week drought.
    I also experienced at the final descent what life is like for the bike, as I went over the bars and slid face down for about 5 or 6 yards with a 32lb steel frame on my back, luckily no one saw, though I did get strange looks as I pulled clumps of (note Yorkshire) moorland out of my helmet vents in the pub. I think it was summed up last week “Well that was character building” certainly was for me.
    As for the dog walking I’m sure I heard on a few occasions “I wouldn’t send a dog down there” as for jockey wheels after trying many, I have come to rely on those from the Barnoldswick factory. Hope (see what I did there) to ride with you all again sometime (There is only one Monday in a month isn’t there?),if you don’t mind me slowing you up.

Harry_the_Spider

. Hope (see what I did there) to ride with you all again sometime (There is only one Monday in a month isn’t there?),if you don’t mind me slowing you up.

Every Monday* at various locations within 45 minutes of North Manchester. Always from a pub. Never more than 90 minutes ride from a bag of crisps or a pie**.

*Apart from BMX night next week.

**Subject to availability.

Clover

Good point HtS. Have we got a post-BMX plan yet?

We could put our orders in at that pub we rode from last week. Not sure where it was exactly after the magical mystery tour of closed Lancastrian hostelries, but the landlord said he’d do butties if we let him know in advance.

And with Binners in attendance, Brennak wouldn’t need to worry that he was slowing anyone down… 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Good point HtS. Have we got a post-BMX plan yet?

North Manchester General has vending machines. Or we could go to The Church Inn. It is only 10 minutes away and is on the route home for most people.

Crisps are Seabrook’s (a weak crisp))but there are pies.

Clover

Good point…. I actually meant post-BMX-week ride. But post-BMX beer needs more urgent consideration 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Ah. Dunno. Not done Holcombe Hill for a while. Don’t know how boggy it is up there at the moment though.

Perhaps we could go from The Shoulder of Mutton.

nach
    Free Member

Even counting the times I went out as a kid intending to get covered in muck, last night was the muddiest ride I’ve ever been on.

Plenty of sideways action down the “Poop Chute” just before the switchbacks and excellent crisps.

Heard I wasn’t the only one to launch myself at the gate. Didn’t expect it to be off the back of the bike! 🙂

dazh

But post-BMX beer needs more urgent consideration

gaze was talking about buying a crate of beer and having a party in the carpark afterwards.

binners

Harry – we were out last night. Its pretty boggy on the moors, but theres plenty of hardback and rocky stuff to ride off the front of the tower. Why don’t we do that, start from the Hare and Hounds, and finish with the descent through Reddisher Woods? We did it last night, and it was a slippy slidey good giggle 😀

I can’t comment on the crisps situation, as we ordered a couple of bowls of chips. Which were excellent! The Shoulder is a bit up its own jacksy, and would collectively tut loudly if a load of muddy people walked in. And the H&H has a mahoosive selection of beers

gaze
    Free Member

Orders taken for beer , white lightening or special brew ?

Harry_the_Spider

Do you fancy The Church afterwards?

• It makes sense as it is on the way back to J17/M60.
    • You won’t get murderised like you will in any pub within a mile of the velodrome.
    • They stock artisan pies.

binners

PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!! PIES!!

PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

😀

dazh

The Church is a good call but I’m not driving so you’ll have to ask Clover.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Crisps are Seabrook’s (a weak crisp)

I happen to be very partial to Seabrooks Prawn Cocktail crisps…

With regard to Holcolme Hill i would prefer the H&H – recently revamped and the beer selection is now even more awesome!

binners

Crisps are Seabrook’s (a weak crisp)

*GASP*

Seabrook are the bestest crisps of your ‘normal household’ variety!!! When you start getting a bit more boutique, then these….

…are truly awesome. Lancashire black pudding and English mustard flavour! They take the roof of your mouth off!!!! 😯

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Binners

Once upon a time, salt and vinegar crisps were in blue packets but then came along Walkers and changed them to green. I notice you have used a modern packet of S&V but its now blue again (there is a green one as well).

As this is becoming a forum for potato crisp officianados, are Walkers S&V now reverting to blue?

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride – November 17th. Todmorden.’ is closed to new replies.