Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride – bank holiday brewery Edition
  • binners

Ladies and Gentleman….

After a brief hiatus to allow Harry the Spider to travel his empire, inspecting his colonies, normal service is resumed. In what seems to have become a bank holiday tradition, we’ll be going for an earlier start than usual, and getting in a longer run. As also seems to have become a bank holiday tradition we’ll be starting from (and more importantly, finishing at) the Irwell works brewery. Early doors -6pm kick off

There are a number of reasons for this. Mainly the quality of post-ride pintage (recently voted number one post-ride destination for both ale and ambience by Salfords premier law enforcer). We’ll be getting in some quality trails, including Bucky Woods (stop whining Harry – you love it!), then up t’other side for a lap of Cragg, turbines, and then finishing with Owd Betts. Hopefully Bregante can restrain himself from hurling himself at the floor with such wanton abandon as last time 😀

Who’s up for it then?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Assuming we can get there/back 🙂

Bregante

Hopefully Bregante can restrain himself from hurling himself at the floor with such wanton abandon as last time 

Its like fate! No internet connection for 3 days… (internet hasnt yet reached this far flung corner of the country) and when I finally get on this is the first post I see!
    I absolutely cannot get injured on Monday!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

Its the trail from Waughs Well. Its beckoning you

Heres the tricky bit. And not the flat featureless bit of bridleway, slightly later, that you wrecked yourself on. You big daft sod! 😉

mcnultycop

Is the Brewery open on a Monday?

I’m fat – will I keep up with you lot if I come along to one of these?

binners

Its not normally open on a Monday, but is on Bank Holidays

I’m fat – will I keep up with you lot if I come along to one of these?

Come on down fella. You’ll fit right in then. You’ll be hard pushed to be either fatter, or slower than me. Its social pace . Nobody gets dropped. Not even me!

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m in for this all being well. Be nice to put a few faces to the keyboard warriors names 😉

Clover

I’ll be along if I’ve finished picking the scabs…

[/url]scabby by BeateKubitz, on Flickr[/img]

F*F*F*Fireroad descents… 👿

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bloody hell Beate! Hope you can make it.

tthew

F*F*F*F*lipping heck!

Did you send a picture to old guys and girls who should know better, or is that considered consorting with the enemy? (not that I’m calling you old you understand)

Hope I’ll be there.

Esme
    Free Member

If Clover turns up on Monday, DON’T EAT THE PORK SCRATCHINGS 😉

mcnultycop

I’ll come along to one soon. Waiting for some better lights to arrive and for work to calm down.

Harry_the_Spider

Bucky Woods? Ball-bags to that!

I’m still on the beach. See you in September.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’m in.

binners

EEK Clover! Thats looks sore!

Harry – I was going to take us the left hand route through Bucky Woods too. So you can have a crack at the gap jump over the stream….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-HTq_WTtBs[/video]

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Oi Binners! What have i told you about posting my videos without permission…?! 😆

I should be there on Monday, with a few others i think.

By the way Beate – bet that hurt!

dazh

Yeah I’ll be coming. Looks like Monday is going to be busy as I’m also out around Tod in the morning. Gofasterstripes do you want that lift? If you can get to the Masons Arms at the bottom of Bacup road for 5pm I can pick you up from there (it’s a couple of mins ride from the station, along the canal). Send me your mobile no in case of any issues. Mail is in my profile.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

You have mail, dazh

Bunnyhop

Clover – good that you’re getting back on the bike after your crash.

philbert31
    Free Member

I’ll try and get to this, depending on the state of my legs after racing over the weekend!

Bregante

Unfortunately my pesky family have conspired against me and it appears I now have to do grown up stuff tomorrow, so I’m out 🙄

Probably for the best because the chances of me doing myself an unfortunate mischief would be high just a week before the c2c.

you’re not really going to do Bucky woods in the wet are you? 😯

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sorry to bail but my mate and I are already on our 4th day of riding and yet to hit Lee, so I think we’ll be be knackered before tonight. I’ll see ya all next time. Sam

binners

Pfft! Lightweights! 😉

Looking at the weather, I think we’ll forsake Bucky woods this evening, in favour of robin hoods well, as it’ll be lethal!

Thinking about it, if we’re not doing Bucky, it might be an idea to forsake the tower side completely and just do the big climb straight from the brewery up to Cragg, then we’ve more time for a play up there, as the ‘babies yeds’ rocky descent down to Michaels Wife Lane will be…. Erm… ‘interesting’ in this. I was out Saturday, and it’s definitely winter mud tyres time again already. It’s put a lot of water down this week!

binners

In other news: the Enigma has dropped off the radar, as always when it’s rained within the previous week, thus confirming to a lot of you that he doesn’t in fact really exist, and he is just a random, Internet forum-trolling generator.

Clover

Hey, sorry, I’m out. Not quite back to my usual self yet. Face is pretty scab free, stitches out & the scars will soon be hidden by wrinkles 😉 Arm is still sore though and test rides have yet to find anything but my inner mincer, which is well upsetting 🙁

Thanks Bunnyhop! Hope you’ll be back on your bike when you’re healed too 🙂

binners

Hope you’re back to full fitness soon Clover. And scars are cool anyway!

Well … To add to the ‘dropping like flies’ feel to tonight, I can’t make it now. Mrs Binners has been working all three days of the bank holiday. I’ve taken full advantage to get out on the bike (and drink beer and watch football). She’s just returned and ‘suggested’ that given these circumstances, it might be nice of me to forsake my normal Monday night beer and riding frivolities and take her out for dinner instead. Which is fair enough.

Daz is kindly relieving me of guiding duties. So Bucky woods or not is his call. Have a good ‘un! I may well be awaiting you in the brewery on your return

Bregante

Daz is kindly relieving me of guiding duties. So Bucky woods or not is his call.

I’m not sure Daz is capable of riding past Buckden woods is he? 🙂

And I’m glad its not just me, binners!

binners

Yes, Daz ( unlike some of us mincers) isn’t known for his reticence in chucking himself down stuff 🙂

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Buckden will be absolutely fine – why not split up and arrange a rendezvous point in Irwell Vale?

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Looks like we were lucky with the rain. The missus said it bounced it down in Rammy at about 7pm.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I am very sorry I didn’t come, but I think by 6pm the 6 hours of rain had taken it’s toll.

However, the gods of cycling decided I owed them a pound of flesh for the tailwind on the way over and I promptly fell in the canal.

Win-win.

See you next time.

Sam

dazh

How on earth did you fall in the canal? 😯 Anyone get it on camera?

Good ride last night. That moor is much bigger and more desolate than it looks from the M62. Could’ve done without the ridiculous headwind though. Intrigued by these ‘steps of doom’ that I’ve heard about. Maybe next time?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I went for the wooden section to ride alongside Mike, and it turns-out there’s a gap that’s covered by grass between the towpath and the wood. A gap that perfectly accomodates a tyre. And stops it.

Luckily it wasn’t cold and I was soaked anyway.

Hah!

wittonweavers
    Free Member

haha nice one! Always wondered – just how deep are they?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just deep enough to submerge my pocket when I stood up. It seems the Moto G may have it’s PCB nano-coated, but the screen isn’t quite waterproof and sure doesn’t work when the thing’s still steamed up from the inside.

Bregante

If only you’d bought a 29er, you’d probably have kept it dry 😉

Have you tried drying it out in a bag of rice?

binners

Did it become apparent why they put those big turbine things up there? 😀

I had a lovely meal in the eagle and child BTW! 😉

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lee Quarry looked epic from the Shepherds Rest 😉

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

did a similar ride yesterday. just wondered how you fellas got back to Rammy from Owd Betts – i went along the road to Rossendale School and pelted down the hill.

is there a better way, ie one that gets me to the top of the Whitelow Rd descent?

binners

You can carry on past the turning for Rossendale School, as you get to a right hand bend, past Bleakholt, you’ll see a public footpath sign off on the left. Theres a single track descent through the trees that takes you down past the Fishermans. Obviously you’ll be pushing your bike down there, as riding down footpath is naughty, and none of us would do that. It spits you out at pretty much the same place.

There is a route through from Owd Betts to take you to the top of Whitelow Rd, but its an absolute bog for 99.5% of the year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride – bank holiday brewery Edition’ is closed to new replies.