Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mondaine watch – date window shows 32nd – why?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I recently bought Mrs. S one of these

She loves it and it’s worked fine. However, today, instead of showing 1 in the date window, it shows 32. The date “wheel” goes up to 36. Does anybody know why this is?

xcgb
    Free Member

Mayan calendar?

Drac

Fake?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Did you buy it from a bloke in a transit van?

mattmbk
    Free Member

They all do it, goes up to 36 on some 40 and 00 on others. No idea why.

derek_starship
    Free Member

mattmbk – by all do you mean all Mondaines?

And no it’s not a fake. Cheeky sods!

Joe

I was furious when on the 1st of the month mine turned 32 for the first time. Seething with rage. Now I just get over it.

If you really want to upset yourself, you should open up the back and see whats in the back of your new Mondaine watch.

Still love mine…but they are 20pence chinese quartz watches.

wwaswas

It’s how the Swiss get their trains to always run on time – they just insert extra days into the month as necessary.

binners

Have you inadvertently been transported into another dimension?

Lovely watch BTW

Mintman
    Free Member

Is it because of the number of teeth on the gear that drives the date it’s more convenient to split into 32 sectors rather than 31?

Or perhaps it’s future proofed incase we go to a 11 month year with 352 days in it?

mattmbk
    Free Member

Yes, the 2 Mondaines I’ve had went to 36 and when I questioned it that was the answer I got but no explanation other than “simple classic Swiss movement, manual adjust’ etc etc.

flyingmonkeycorps

You’ve broken time. We’re all doomed. Oh well.

geoffj

If you really want to upset yourself, you should open up the back and see whats in the back of your new Mondaine watch.
    Still love mine…but they are 20pence chinese quartz watches.

Sadly true 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Lolz.. it’s just so much better than.. well.. than .. you know.. better. So what if it doesn’t know how many days there are in a week.. that’s just part of the charm of a real proper actual honest REAL watch.

Hehehe..

That watch does look rather nice though I must admit. If only that was how watches were marketed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The 32nd, really ? The 32nd???

😆
    Followed by
    😆 & 😆 & 😆

lunge

Mine does that, no idea why, it just does, I don’t loose too much sleep over it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Don’t the french have a saying “on the 36th of the month”, as in “I’ll do it on the 36th”, meaning “at about the same time as pigs sprout wings and fly”?

richmars

I think some of you are too generous. If a watch of mine had 32 days ‘because it’s easier to make’ it would be back to the shop. I mean, it’s easier to make a watch that doesn’t tell the time, but that’s what you expect a watch to do. Isn’t it?

CountZero

Crikey, how many different variations of the same watch is it possible to make!
    If yours is this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mondaine-Ladies-Stainless-standard-length/dp/B002LZUB6U/ref=sr_1_47?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1359724300&sr=1-47
    It says it’s a Swiss quartz movement, so I guess the really cheap ones have the Chinese movement.
    I’ve got one of these:

It happily went from 31 to 1, and it doesn’t need a battery. After getting the tool from Maplins, and tweaking it several times, a month after the last adjustment it’s about a second out, which I’m pretty pleased with. 😀
    I do like the look of those Mondaines, lovely clear face, and easy to read. I hate over-complicated watches.

convert

I’ve got the automatic version for my last birthday. Love the understated Bauhaus look. I even love the way it’s not very accurate! Mine only has 31 days though – I feel cheated.

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got an automatic too… only 31 days in my months 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mondaine watch – date window shows 32nd – why?’ is closed to new replies.