Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Monarch/Debonair upgrade
  • thepurist

Anyone ridden one of these yet and able to comment on how it rides? I’m wondering about switching the air can on my RT3 when the upgrade becomes available, but there’s no sign of anyone selling them yet and nothing on the RS site about checking if my shock is compatible – not a great sales effort by them TBH!

timpol
    Free Member

Had a play on one on a demo bike recently, wasn’t massively impressed. It sat very deep in its travel when climbing and I couldn’t get a happy medium between climbing and descending setup ( tried adding pressure and playing with different damping settings), saying that it did cope well on the descents. By comparison I had just ridden a vivid which was excellent but obviously should be for the added cost.

tmb467
    Free Member

you can add Rockshox rubber bands to the monarch to reduce the volume in the aircan (or cut up bits of inner tube if you’ve not got the bands)

they’re normally supplied when you buy the shock and its relatively easy to do (as long as you can take the shock off)

saves spending another £200 on the vivid which is really a DH air shock

RickDraper
    Free Member

Will let you know on Friday when I have collected my Nomad frame and built it up. If it not up to it I will be getting a CC DBA CS to replace it.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Tried one yesterday on the demo nomad we rode round the wyre forest. Quite liked it actually but cant judge whether that was the nomad or the rear shock without fitting one to my bronson to compare. It definitely made me question which shock to get to replace mine, having set my mind on the DBinline.

j3ffo
    Free Member

I’ve got a monarch plus on my new frame. Doesn’t feel as good as the float x I had previously so am debating this too… feels harsh at 25% sag and a bit wallowy at 30%.

By adding spacers to the aircan – I assume I would need less air for the same sag, is the theory that this provides better compliance?

tmb467
    Free Member

By adding spacers to the aircan – I assume I would need less air for the same sag, is the theory that this provides better compliance?

pretty much – fox offer the same in the form of a volume spacer kit and its slightly more difficult to fit. The monarch aircan just needs to be taken off (an easy procedure as long as you’re comfortable taking the shock off and re-fitting). Remove an o-ring, slide the air can down and add spacers. I used an old inner tube cut into 8 and then was able to play around to get it just right

picture

downhilldave

Been looking for info as well. Just Emailed Simon @ Loco to see when it’s available and if it will fit on my Spicy Team with the EI system on. Will let you know. Should be a good match for my Pikes. From what I’ve read on MTBR and PB it sounds very good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Monarch/Debonair upgrade’ is closed to new replies.