Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Monarch RT vs RT3
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Ahoy there suspension experts – can you tell me if there’s any difference in the quality of damping between these units? Or is it just that the RT3 has an “in between” setting?

I have both of these shocks (non-piggyback, 2014 non-Debonair models) and neither of them really feels right at the moment – so I’m debating which to get serviced/tuned.

FWIW the RT3 is currently the wrong tune for my frame, the RT is the correct tune but still feels like a bag of shite.

benpinnick

The year is important to understand if there’s any noticable ‘quality’ difference. The RT3 was updated a few months ago, before that I think the RT and RT3 were more similar. The key difference in use is the lockout on the RT3, whereas the RT doesnt have that. I’m guessing in 2014 the internals were pretty similar though.

Why not get a debonair can first and see how that goes? You can swap it between shocks.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for that Ben, I hadn’t thought of just getting a Debonair can – but my main gripe is that the bike feels a bit wooden and harsh.

I was considering picking up a secondhand 2015 Monarch Debonair (or Plus) in M/M tune. There are quite a few of these kicking round in the size I need.

Might make more sense than paying £70-odd for just the can.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just been reading about the 2016 Monarch improvements.

Anyone know if the Monarch Plus was also changed for 2016?

benpinnick

Anyone know if the Monarch Plus was also changed for 2016?

Its been predominantly the same since 2014. What frame is it for?

chakaping
    Free Member

Kona Process 153. The previous owner had a M/H tune RT3 on it. This feels OK but a bit harsh. They come with M/M as stock.

He also gave me the original M/M Monarch RT, supposedly barely ridden. But this feels even more wooden, and grip is terrible with it.

I’m thinking a Debonair can could address this harshness nicely. The bike will be coming to Pila & the Italian Riviera in the summer and will be doing long rocky descents here too – so a Plus might be a good idea.

But then it’s not a massive amount more for the Fox X2.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Monarch RT vs RT3’ is closed to new replies.