Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Monarch RT vs RC3 plus
  • kimbers

Ive got a 2014 monarch RT on my new bike which is nice

Im considering upgrading to an RC3 plus
    basically the lockouts died on my RT and Im thinking upgrade the warranty replacement to the rc3(assuming kona are cool with that) , anyone have experience of either?

cheers

robbonzo
    Free Member

Dont know the answer to your Q Kimbers but how is that Process working out for you? I demo’d one a few weeks back and loved it but a touch heavy. (shouldnt have demo’d a 25lbs Carbon hei hei just before really). Do you know the weight of your one and anything you’d change on it?

jairaj

All the RT3 adds over the RT is the 3 setting threshold for the lockout.

I guess it depends on whether you felt the need to use the lockout a lot or not or wanted to add some sort of mid way platform. If you did then I guess it might be a worth wile upgrade otherwise I can’t see the point.

For me it would be a useless upgrade. I have a Bandit with BOS Vip’r shock. The only time I turn the compression damping up is when doing jumping bike park stuff to give me a firmer feeling. Otherwise the shock stays in its standard compression setting for going up, down and along. I have no need for a lockout. But you may be completely different.

emmodd
    Free Member

Is the plus not the shock with the piggy back and so a different shock?

tmb467
    Free Member

and it allows for longer travel – 222×66 will work on my Voltage and should allow me to swap out my Vivid coil for something significantly lighter

jairaj

Oh balls missed the “plus” bit.

Yeah I suppose if you regularly ride on long bumpy descents or more towards Enduro style riding, it might make a difference.

I guess it also depends how much the upgrade would cost too? ..

kimbers

robbonzo, loving the process; stable, very manouverable, stiff
    down from 33.5lbs to 31.5, ditched front mech, shifter and chainrings for a 30t narrow/wide
    put my m4evos on instead of the deores
    also swapped out the big draggy high roller2s for a hans dampf F and nobby nic R, gone tubeless(rims were already taped so just needed valves n fluid)

so overall it feels faster and nippier, when the cheapo cassette wears out thatll save a bit of weight

went to BPW yesterday and did 4 laps (cycling up) 26k, 1000metres of climbing before a mate had a crash
    also done 50k loop at afan , its not the fastest climber but not terrible, which is why im missing the lockout
    but managed it all with the30t ring yesterday and no guide- no chains dropped!
    and the monarch felt much better than my old rp23 but did get bounced around a bit on the rock gardens, the pike rocks and the tuning spacers work well

kimbers

oh yeah mines a medium

heres a pic

robbonzo
    Free Member

Sounds excellent. I think id be doing the same as you in terms of swapping some bits out but it felt great on the descents, very stable.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Monarch RT vs RC3 plus’ is closed to new replies.