Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Monarch R (215 x 63 non Debonair) help
  • cuda17
    Free Member

Just after a bit of advice on the Rockshox Monarch R please.

I have a NS Bikes Soda Evo frame that i’ve built up into a 160mm trail bike. with the sag set at 27% i’m bottoming out the travel on big hits and catching the pedals alot. is there a way of increasing the overall ride height? am i right in thinking I cant fit bottomless rings??

thanks

dougieb
    Free Member

Assuming you have the correct shock tune for the bike (if the bike is stock then it should be) then I suggest you look into fitting some volume spacers that will make the shock more progressive (i.e the shock gets progressively more difficult to compress as it moves through its travel). This should make it more difficult to bottom it out. As said though, you need to be starting with a shock that is the correct tune for the frame it’s fitted to.

tone46
    Free Member

Some good vids out there. You can add rings to the positve and/or negative side.
    When you pump the shock up make sure you cycle (push down on the saddle and release slowly) the shock a few times. I noticed a definate difference in the way shock felt.

Dohh. Just seen the title! Debonair only. Can’t add rings to standard can.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RickDraper
    Free Member

Looks like its got the standard volume air can on it so not a huge amount you can do with volume spacers sadly.

cuda17
    Free Member

thank you for the replies! it is the stock tuned rear shock i think its so low to the ground because the frame itself is adjustable in the the rear shock has 2 positions (152mm and 177mm) and it can be built with a 160mm – 180mm fork. what it didnt say is that a 160mm fork with a near 15 stone bloke on it should run shorter crank arms! but thats my own first world problem!!

thanks again

tillydog
    Free Member

Run less sag??

cuda17
    Free Member

thats the plan!

poah
    Free Member

Buy a fox X2 it’s the only possible solution lol

cuda17
    Free Member

sell me one then!

cuda17
    Free Member

on the cheap!

poah
    Free Member

only got a CCDB coil IL on my bike sadly and its going no where.

cuda17
    Free Member

would you take coil over air sprung?

daver27
    Free Member

buy a debonair can?

cuda17
    Free Member

do they fit the Monarch R?

daver27
    Free Member

yeah, you can buy the debonair upgrade see here

poah
    Free Member

I fitted a debonair can to my sons monarch R.

I would take coil over air but I’m not a big person so springs are available to fit.

tillydog
    Free Member

yeah, you can buy the debonair upgrade see here

Noted for future reference – thanks! 🙂

cuda17
    Free Member

that might be the answer i’ve been looking for!

is the debonair easy to fit? think monkey with a large spanner!!

steel4real
    Free Member

The monkey won’t need a spanner !

But maybe a hex key to remove the shock and a strap wrench to remove the current air can.

daver27
    Free Member

Price of cake, if you can unscrew the old one, you just screw this one in place. Only tool.required is Allen key to get it off the bike and a shock pump. Make sure you deflate before fitting.

cuda17
    Free Member

How doin find out what model I have? Looking at the debonair upgrade and it says it only fits “my14” and above monarchs?

Cheers

poah
    Free Member

black shaft oo’er

cuda17
    Free Member

i have the blackest of shafts!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Monarch R (215 x 63 non Debonair) help’ is closed to new replies.