Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Monarch Debonair set up.
  • zippykona

First off I’m happy with how the shock rides but just checking I’m not doing something wrong.
    It’s on an Anthem and is pumped up to 200psi. I’ve got 2 of those rubber bands fitted.
    I weigh 12.5 stone in my pants and it sags to 40%.
    All my other bikes are pumped up to 150psi ( same length shock) so I’m quite surprised that it sags so much with so much pressure.
    Are the rubber bands making it sag ? Do shocks need to bed in these days it’s done about 100 miles.

nickdavies

Depends on the bike and tune imo and the leverage – my canyon is a pain to get the sag right I have to use so much air it’s like a pogo stick.

I run it to how I like it and in fully open it’s like 50% sag or more but it’s what works for me, mine lives in the trail mode.

poah
    Free Member

Normal for a shock with a large negative air spring to need a lot of pressure. Put more air in to get less sag.

The rubber bands reduce the air spring volume preventing harsh bottom outs.

konanige

Running 300psi plus (pump gauge maxes out on pump) to get 30% sag with my monarch on On-one Codeine but 180psi on the Cane Creek, so am assuming high pressure is normal!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Similar situation here, I bought a Debonair for my Stumpjumper, added the prerequisite amount of tokens and inflated to 250psi and was concerned when the bike became a wallowing mess.

However, the shock has a max pressure of 350psi, compared with the 275psi max for a regular Monarch. I threw experience out of the window, added pressure until I had the desired sag and now everything is running just fine.

zippykona

I’ve gone up to 250 psi and still getting 30 % sag.
    It feels ok and I prefer the more stand up stance of the rear end. The bars even feel lower!
    With the increased pressure should I add or remove rubber bands?

z1ppy

As above the bands in the main chamber are for stopping it bottoming out, so only add them if you doing so regularly, & if your now struggling to get to use full travel, remove them one by one. Also as mentioned the Debonair sleeve needs much higher pressure due to the greater negative spring volume, so you also need to make sure you equalize the negative spring as you pump it up.

Remove all the air and then inflate to 100psi, compress past the sag point a few times to charge the negative spring, then inflate to 150psi and compress past the sag point etc. keep doing this and increasing the pressure until you get correct sag.

zippykona

Have taken the bands out , followed the method above and in compressing the shock have noticed that there is a resistance then freeing up when the shock gets to the 20 % sag mark.
    Is this usual?

zippykona

zippykona

Just managed to get my first proper ride in with no bands and 250 psi and it’s a whole new bike.
    Plush, no bobbing and a really steady rebound.
    STW 1 .Rock Shox manual 0.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

The monarch rt3 on my jeffsy does a similar thing where there’s a small amount of resistance as it gets towards 20% travel then frees up.

Never notice it when riding. Just seems a bit odd. Didn’t have it with the original monarch r but that was warrantied and got an rt3 back as a replacement.

jamesoz

Mine did that, aircan service sorts it out. Slick honey or similar on the o rings when you pop off the air sleeve to add or remove bands too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Monarch Debonair set up.’ is closed to new replies.