• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Monaco – Hotels etc
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Might have to be making a work trip to Monte Carlo soon, and thought it might be a good trip to tag on some time in the sun en famille.

Despite spending plenty of time in all sorts of parts of La Belle France, I’ve never set foot in Monaco! So, anyone been? Any thoughts re a nice hotel, preferably with either beach or nice big pool for a few days of the Mini-CFHs splashing around in?

Or would it be better to head back in to France proper and find somewhere around Nice?
    TIA.

scaredypants

😆

sorry, that’s it

as you were:

cp

Is this work expenses of personal funding??!

Italy is also an option for staying within close proximity

cp

There’s really not much tho Monaco. It’s probably worth a day trip at best Imo.

Menton is nice just up the coast.

dpfr

Monaco is Hellish expensive. Menton is a good shout, and just a short train hop to Monaco itself

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Leave them near Nice and then take the helicopter flight. Only about €20 more than taxi and great fun!

ourmaninthenorth

Menton’s a bit scruffy once you get behind the sea front TBH.

Just head back towards Nice. Or, if for a few days, cut to the chase and stay in Cannes.

Monaco is dreadful.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks all, rather confirms what I’d thought!

THM, BA are doing free heli transfers these days, so you might be on to something there!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Damn, missed that last time. Edit forgot I flew sleazy….

freeagent
    Free Member

I also went to Monaco last year on a business trip.
    I stayed here – Fairmont Monte Carlo

I actually liked Monaco – There are some interesting things to see, and it isn’t a terrible place to waste a day.
    The old town (palace/etc) is quite interesting, and the Motor collection is worth a wander around.
    I’m not sure there is much to entertain kids though…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Don’t forget – big watch, no socks

Then you will feel at home!

Simonpieman
    Free Member

As others have said don’t stay in Monaco itself. The Beausolais area is a good bet, it’s in France but walkable from Monaco, frankly it’s pretty hard to see the difference. ( I will say I only go for the yacht show and I am normally drunk).

Other than that any town on the trainline from nice, cap d’ail is nice and you get nostalgic about the dh course. Don’t miss the last train its a long walk at 2 in the morning!

lunge

I really liked San Remo when I stayed there, it well under 1 hour from Monte Carlo and has the required beach etc.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can’t help with hotels as we stay with a friend who lives there, but as has been said above, it’s not really a family place (even though they’re trying to make it more kid friendly).

The open air cinema is cool though – backs onto the prison!

BigDummy
    Free Member

big watch, no socks

[Chortles] 😆

plumber
    Free Member

I have say I love the Monaco public beach – always meet really interesting people there

But as others have said stay elsewhere and travel in for the day.

I prefer near the old town of nice for the excellent restaurants

mefty
    Free Member

You can always make the pilgrimage to the cemetery in Menton where William Webb Ellis is buried, I believe the FFR pay to upkeep the grave.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

doesn’t one just take one’s Yacht?

Klunk
    Free Member

been about 10 times, horrible souless place (found one nice restaurant in all that time sadly closed now) Always stayed in the MetroPole very nice as hotels go but very expensive (I wasn’t paying by the way). Theres a lovely local wine BTW, name escapes me, very dark oaky red black label with a large cross on it.

If you go out of season you’ll see more policemen than residents.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Monaco – Hotels etc’ is closed to new replies.