Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 'Mon the Biff!
  • richmtb

Anyone going to see Biffy at the Hydro tonight?

I am very much looking forward to it.

Northwind

Couldn’t get tickets so I’m off to the AECC tomorrow 😆 My name is Northwind, and I am a alclyroholic… it has been… 4 months and 2 days since I last went DOODOODOOODOODOOODOOODOOO even though in the first verse you’re not supposed to.

prawny

Seen them twice in the past, once was as the ‘proper band’ at Battle of the Bands in Wolvo, and the other was at Finsbury Park supporting Limp Bizkit.

First time I followed a young lady to the bar and missed them, second time I’d been to see a rasta truck driver I dealt with at work in the midlands and he took me and a workmate to his flat and showed us the sights or Tottenham before the gig. I fell asleep.

One day I’ll go and see them again, good band I reckon.

riddoch

Do they sill have the mysterious 4th member on guitar?

BoardinBob

Factoid

If you mapped out a band family tree/ evolution type thing showing how Biffy ended up as Biffy, I’d be on there.

Same hometown as me but I was a couple of years older. Various bands we played in during our early teenage years had shared members.

The closest I’ll get to being famous 😆

legend
    Free Member

Shame their new stuff sounds like a Mumford & Sons B-side

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

And all their old stuff sounds the same?

egb81
    Free Member

riddoch – Member

Do they sill have the mysterious 4th member on guitar?

Mike Vennart. He is probably my favourite musician in the world for his work with Oceansize, British Theatre and his own solo stuff. The man is a genius.

swavis

From what I’ve been reading on the Download FB pages they’re not the most popular headline announcement…

I’d like to see them at the AECC but doubt the planets will align.

Northwind

swavis – Member

From what I’ve been reading on the Download FB pages they’re not the most popular headline announcement…

Dude, the Lostprophets headlined Download one year, they’re not that choosy. It can’t always be Iron Maiden.

legend – Member

Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of the new album but Wolves of Winter sounds almost entirely like Mumford and Sons don’t.

swavis

Sorry I should’ve added a 😉 there

I really couldn’t give two hoots what the FB page says.

richmtb

Can’t say I’m the biggest fan of the new album but Wolves of Winter sounds almost entirely like Mumford and Sons don’t.

Yeah its not grown on me yet but doesn’t sound a lot like London’s finest banjo band 😉

Northwind

Small Wishes is a wee bit waistcoaty. Then again Hope For An Angel was pretty folky, it’s just that instead of banjos kicking in halfway through, it unleashes guitar death and wolf howling.

legend
    Free Member

ffs Mumford don’t even do banjos these days 🙄 Maybe Keane would’ve been easier to grasp

Northwind

Keane? I think you’re thinking of some other biffy clyro tbh. Unless Keane b-sides are really different from the a-sides?

[video]http://youtu.be/bpJvP4b5fX8 [/video]

wrightyson
    Free Member

I shall be monning the biff next week. Birmingham for three days with the good lady with biff being Wednesday night. 3 days off work and I canny wait! See you up the front…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh and I love wee man off the new album!

Northwind

Oh, almost complete derail this but if you like the noisier end of Biffy you might like these guys, Megalomatic- lots of obvious Biffy influence with a dash of Headswim and ASIWYFA, and vocals from Scottish Robb Flynn. They’re short of quality uploaded content but Knees Crushed By An Electric Circus is a good taster

https://megalomatic.bandcamp.com/album/hunt-for-the-midnight-sasquatch

colournoise

Would love to see them live.

I agree that the newer stuff isn’t quite as spiky as the old, but it’s still a long way the the right side of bland and Wolves of Winter is as good as anything they’ve done.

the-muffin-man

I’ve bought tickets twice for Biffy in separate years (at this time of year).

On both occasions it snowed so badly we couldn’t even got off our road. I did think about booking for this tour but then had second thoughts. If they tour in June I’ll probably risk it!

So they’ve had a couple of hundred quid off me, but I haven’t seen them yet!

Northwind

One time I rode to Perth on the motorbike in a blizzard to see them at, ironically, the ice factory 😆

<edit- almost exactly 10 years ago! That explains it, I was young and stupid>

funkmasterp

Great band that have evolved in to an entirely different beast over the years. Would love to see them live sometime. I love blackened sky, infinity land and puzzle. Frightened Rabbits last album sounds like a mellow Biffy, but it could just be the accent.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Ooh, ooh, me, me. In tonight’s top tenuous, Biffy’s Bassist’s Dad did my dad-in-law’s drive, and that’s a lot of apostrophes for one sentence.

wrightyson
    Free Member

On both occasions it snowed so badly we couldn’t even got off our road. I did think about booking for this tour but then had second thoughts. If they tour in June I’ll probably risk it!

Muffin man I’m guessing one of those gigs was 6 years ago tomorrow in nottingham.
    All trains cancelled, they put is in a cab with another random couple back to Derby. We then got a heroic cabby who got us home for 4am. The kids were stranded in allestree for two days with the outlaws. We made the most of it!!!!

Northwind

funkmasterp – Member

Great band that have evolved in to an entirely different beast over the years.

First time i saw them was 2001, being And Local Support for OPM, we stood up the back and took the piss- I don’t know if they were rubbish or if I just didn’t get it but I remember they played Hope For An Angel and we thought it was hilarious. mumble mumble, AAAARGH, mummble moan, AAAARGH AAAHHH AHHH HUNHHHH ARRGHGAHGHGH. Of all the bands I’ve ever seen they’re maybe the last ones I’d have tipped for greatness 😆 “We have achieved so much more than you possibly thought we could”, yes, yes you have.

But it’s weird- they’ve been the best band I’ve ever seen, quite a few times, but watching them in king tuts and the like I never thought it’d work in a big room where you weren’t getting their sweat on you. Then they were the best Barras band I’ve ever seen, but I still never thought it’d work in a big shed, til they made the Deftones look pretty rubbish at Braehead, and then I still didn’t think they could pull off headlining the SECC or similiar til they owned it- and even then I’d never have believed they could get away with it as a festival headliner. Or drop 57 into a set straight after Biblical,in 2016, and have kids that weren’t born when it came out still knowing via racial memory that you HAVE to do the doodoodoos every verse regardless of the studio version… Makes you realise the appeal of joining a cult.

prawny

Which song is the do dooos in? My mind isn’t working.

Northwind

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ami8aeJM8[/video]

richmtb

Well that was fun. They really are a great live band. From bouncing like a lunatic with Golden Rule to choking up singing along with Machines. Awesome!

egb81
    Free Member

I was lucky enough to see them twice when they were touring Blackened Sky. They were a really tight live act even then.

andeh

Saw them way back at Leeds, after they released Puzzle, they were good, but not incredible. I think at the time they didn’t really suit a main stage, they were potentially too complex for the space. Some songs worked, but some didn’t. Interestingly, Foals have said that they ended up massively simplifying their music as their venue size increases, as it doesn’t translate so well….but having said that, for the their music to become more accessible, and more popular, it needed to be simplified. Chicken or egg? Same deal with Biffy?

I’ve not really taken much of an interest since then, their later albums really don’t do it for me. They’ve had their moments since, but ultimately, for me at least, they ended up in the tears-in-the-carling sing along bin.

Northwind

Bloody good last night… crowd took a bit of time to get going- lots of appreciative-singing-while-standing-perfectly-still at the start but it fired up after a couple of songs. Less homoerotic shirtless moshpits than is traditional. I was going to say some of the setlist choices were a bit crap, “People” ffs! But they played 27 songs so that’d be a bit churlish eh 😆

Fair play to them- when we saw than at hogmanay that was literally the only gig of the year for them, but this year they’ve been at it full time and doing what looks like pretty much the same set, it doesn’t feel tired. But it’s all a bit safe, the Opposites tour was absolutely sensational, right now they’re just excellent.

Brand New were good! I only know Jude Law and a Semester Abroad so I’d assumed they were going to be yank pop punk. Nope.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

just back from the newcastle gig.
    2 hours of audio and visual awesomeness.
    Opposites tour was my first time and was blown away then.
    i think this was possibly even better.
    wave upon wave a highlight.
    i expect my ears will be ringing for a week.

mon the biff

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just woken from lasts night shenanigans. Absolutely awesome in Birmingham last night. Non stop wall of noise. Several older tracks which were great!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘'Mon the Biff!’ is closed to new replies.