Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Moments of random culinary genius
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve had to slap together a quick lunch today, so I conducted a brief inspection of the food cupboards.

Using only a semi-stale burger bun, two chorizo slices, some grated cheese and an egg I created something I would be proud to serve in a restaurant.

Burger bun halved, grated cheese and chorizo on top, under grill until cheese bubbling. Egg fried in a pan until just a tiny bit of runniness left (perfect in other words). Egg in between the two halves, slap back together to make a sandwich.

Polished it off in about 90 seconds it was so tasty. I’m thinking maybe some thinly chopped pickled chillies as well next time.

Nothing better than a quick, easy snack using what can be found quickly.

Anyone else gone all ‘invention test’ today?

yunki
    Free Member

not really inventive but my cupboards are looking bare. I’m pretty certain that I’m not gonna get dressed any time soon, so the shops are out of the equation..

I went simple fishfinger sandwich, run out of butter so substituted with mayo, some weird tomato relish and a good slug of hot pepper sauce

JonBoy
    Free Member

I’ve just had potato waffles, bacon and my little pony spaghetti shapes.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fusion cooking Jonboy!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Tomato soup with hummous and chopped fresh chillies.

Basil

Only remotely edible fridge contents.
    Cheese between bread, fried in pan.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’m about to make Corned Beef Hash (out of date). But instead of using normal Potato, I’m going to use SWEET POTATO. I’ll report back later. Unless I die.

kimbers

A few weeks ago I made something with oregano in and it was a taste sensation, I’ve never found a niche for orgenao before so I was really pleased, except now I can’t remember what it was I made, a sauce maybe?

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m about to make Corned Beef Hash (out of date). But instead of using normal Potato, I’m going to use SWEET POTATO. I’ll report back later. Unless I die.

I didn’t think corned beef could go out of date? At least that is the working assumption I have always made.

Now remember, you have to have corned beef hash with baked beans and you have to use dollops of brown sauce. The best bits are always the bits you have to chisel out of the pan!

spud-face

I’ll come rank last in the inventiveness stakes, but baked beans with jerk seasoning, and fried egg sandwich with pickled jalapenos (fried with the egg) are so tasty they’ve become my laziness staples.

Also noodles/pasta + mushroom soup + curry powder + peas (and chicken till I turned veggie) = yummy!

[edit]

I’ve never found a niche for oregano before

Really nice on cheese-on-toast

jambourgie
    Free Member

A few weeks ago I made something with oregano in and it was a taste sensation, I’ve never found a niche for orgenao before so I was really pleased, except now I can’t remember what it was I made, a sauce maybe?

Oregano is ace on pizza.

I didn’t think corned beef could go out of date? At least that is the working assumption I have always made.

Now remember, you have to have corned beef hash with baked beans and you have to use dollops of brown sauce. The best bits are always the bits you have to chisel out of the pan!

Cheers for that. It’ll be fine. It’s only 2012 anyway. Beans = check. No Brown Sauce though 🙁

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Today I tried cooking regular kale and cauli soup. Except no kale or cauli in mozzers, so I used cavolo nero and one of those green mandelbrot-looking cauliflowers. And a left over parsnip. To say it was an epic soup would be insulting. Exquisite!

Also discovered that scrambled egg with grated cheese (mixed in atthe start) is astonishing on toast especially when served with a few large pearls of quality hot chilli sauce.

Lastly, on subject of corned beef – when making jacket spuds, scoop the hot cooked potato from skins with spoon. In a bowl, use fork and mash together with butter and corned beef slices until the mash is half-meaty (technical!). Return mash to the skins, top with cheese, return to oven or grill until bubbly. Best comfort food in the world ever.

chip
    Free Member

When you put to much hot water in a pot noodle.
    Just add a pack of quavers, genius

Also add a teaspoon of sugar to an omelette mix, sweet.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I made a pork pie wrap/tortilla a few weeks ago. It was lovely. Wife not impressed.

vorlich
    Free Member

Granny Smith and polos.

chip
    Free Member

Slice of bread ( butter on outside, obviously) into breville add ketchup, cheese single then crack in an egg.
    Finall add top slice of bread (see above) , then lock down breville till golden brown, if cooked correctly the yoke should still be gooey .

Toasty eggy cheese sandwich goodness.

dannyh
    Free Member

Lastly, on subject of corned beef – when making jacket spuds, scoop the hot cooked potato from skins with spoon. In a bowl, use fork and mash together with butter and corned beef slices until the mash is half-meaty (technical!). Return mash to the skins, top with cheese, return to oven or grill until bubbly. Best comfort food in the world ever.

Totally trying that out now!

Let’s see how it goes with the gammon and veg we have for tea………

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Little bit of tabasco in the eggs when scrambling/making an omelette.

Add some soured cream and a bit of butter when making a tomato pasta sauce.

Melt some stilton into a risotto.

ninfan
    Free Member

I had an open tin of pineapple and some defrosted chicken breast, and the remnants of a bottle of levi roots reggae reggae sauce

it turned into a family favourite – “Alice Holt Chicken”

dice chicken and an onion, brown and add pineapple pieces (chopped peppers too if you like)

in a jar the pineapple juice from the tin is mixed with the reggae reggae sauce, a decent squeeze of lemon juice and a generous glug of maple syrup, then added to the pan and cooked till the sauce has reduced to thick and sticky

Perfect served with rice and peas!

bencooper
    Free Member

Peanut butter and bacon bits sandwich. Lovely.

PMK2060

Toasted cheese scone topped with tinned pilchards in tomato sauce and rocket salad nom nom

bikebob

Three slices of cheese and two of ham rolled in a wrap and 30 secs in microwave. Not high level cooking but best and quickest toastie out there.

Second tip. A mouth full of malt.oaf and banana as a mid ride snack. I don’t even like banana but it is soon good.

rascal
    Free Member

I hope you sent the missus out to do the shopping today Danny 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

I hope you sent the missus out to do the shopping today Danny

Can’t be trusted, won’t buy beer.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Heinz tomato soup with ham & english mustard sarnies to dip in.

Smoked bacon, melted cheese & Marmite on toast.

PrinceJohn

Meat n biscuits…

The supermarket chilled spiced sandwich meat, like chicken tikka, place on top of a digestive biscuit. Consume.

This recipe may have been discovered after a ride where all there was, was meat & biscuits.

spursn17
    Free Member

A bacon sandwich with blackcurrant jam.

I win.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Moments of random culinary genius’ is closed to new replies.