Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Molten wax chain lube
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

Anyone using this type of lube?

I’m currently using Scottoiler UBS and like the way everything is easy to clean.Having a quick read into molten paraffin wax as a lube it sound like it might keeps things as clean but not need applying as often and stay on the chain better.

cookeaa

This stuff?

No idea personally but I do have a mate that swears by it, used it for his motorcycle and just carried on with his MTB… I don’t recall him ever complaining about his chain.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oops

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Northwind

I’ve been using it for a while since TJ recommended it… It’s awesome tbh. Pain in the balls to do mind, and much more likely to set yourself on fire than finish line. But it doesn’t need it often and it goes through horrible race weekends flawlessly where normally you’d be amazed if it lasted a day. And my tin’ll last years.

Only downside imo is (apart from the hassle) that it’s not got great rust prevention- I can put it on the commuter and it lasts forever but I need to apply a conventional lube regularily or the chain’ll rust like mad. Oh, I suppose it’s probably draggier than a light summer lube if you’re bothered about such things

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I tried it after TJs recommendation too. Contrastingly, i found it wanting in winter Mendip conditions lasting only slightly longer than other wax based lubricants. Sure there was loads left on the plates outside, but the links rattled like hell and were gritty just like every other lube. It’s was also a major smelly faff, invoking matrimonial aggro.

I dumped it and went back to chain rotation and frequent cleaning and lubrication.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I use this religously but only through the winter, As per the OP’s thread title it REALLY is Molten Wax.

I wouldnt do it inside, it STINKS and despite having an extractor fan above a cooker it cant be good for your health let alone your realationship. PLUS this stuff sticks like Shat to a cat, you dont want to be cleaning this stuff up from the kitchen…….. Cooker, Floor, Worktop, cupboard fronts. Dont ask how i know, just imagine how awkeard it is controling a 1 metre long chain and then add 100 degree heat to it i do mine outside on the BBQ for stability and in case it spills. I use a Peak stove to do the heat, TOP TIP< use some Old gear cable threaded thro one link so that you dont have to pish about fishing it out.

I use 3 chains and boil them all at the same time.
    Anotger top tip, het some gloves, not plastic surgical ones some gardening gloves and take 1 chain out.
    Wipe it with a towel or similar on every link, get as much wax off the outer surface as possible as it makes one hell of a mess of the Jockey wheels and rings etc,
    OBVIOUSLY: you all know that this stuff is needed inside on the rollers and inside plates thats why its of no use outside as it is yacky stuff.
    Fish out the next one and repeat and then gain.

Hang in garage and use accordingly.

The chain will be a bit lethargic at first and needs bedding in. a few revolutions and some good lube will assist in bedding in.

Throughout the winter it drastically helps with chain noise on a 1X set up.
    It reduces wear on the drivetrain because although you wiped most off the outside it still has a nice graphite coating on the teeth etc, it reducuces graunch as well which is a contributor to wear.

its not like Scottoiler UBS, this stuff gets on and you can see it, if you dont get it off while the chain while it is hot its a mess.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TJ did mine for me 18 months ago, lasting really well (bike not ridden that much) but sort does stick to it. I might get some.

I tried some scotoil, my chain literally rusted solid.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Molten wax chain lube’ is closed to new replies.