Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Molly's top running tips #2
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For those cyclists who feel crap at running.

Tip 1 was about toe or mid-foot striking.

This new tip is about hip flexors. When running, try and push your foot out as far behind you as you can, but from the hip not the lower back. You should feel it at the top of your thigh and groin area. Then when you get back stretch it out like this:

When I started trying to run, my lower back killed me – I reckon this was because my leg couldn’t stretch out behind me so I had to tip my pelvis back via my lower back.

Having done some stretches and run concentrating on this movement I seem to have found a massive improvement in my gait. Positively flew along just now, feeling just like a runner. For a few minutes at a time 🙂

(For those who have not been following the series I know bugger all about running 🙂 Just experimenting on myself and the transition from fit cyclist who can’t run to fit cyclist who can)

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

See in that picture there – she is barely stretching her hip flexors. Look at the bony points on her hip and you’ll see that her leg isn’t extended much.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not much, but you look for a better picture – I couldn’t find one. And she’s doing a lot better than me 🙂

Point is, I reckon it makes a major difference to your running, and a big factor for us cyclists.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m a cyclist and have no problems running.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Me neither.
    And I look hotter than her.

surfer
    Free Member

I’m a runner who feels crap at running. Gonna give it a try!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We’re obviously just a little bit awesome.

EDIT: not surfer obviously. He used to be super awesome at running though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

High fives!

geoffj

Running 😯

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ll not bother, i can’t physically run anyway due to CMT.

I’ll just admire the picture 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Muddydwarf – Country Music Television?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I wish!

Charco-Marie-Tooth syndrome unfortunately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcot%E2%80%93Marie%E2%80%93Tooth_disease

molgrips
    Free Member

I saw that too and at first thought something was wrong with your teeth.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Another tip for her, cut down on the fake tan! 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dear Molly,

I get stuck when my left foot is infront of my right.

I’m ok when my right foot is forward, I just bring the left foot through and place it at the front. But can’t work out what to do next.

Please help me,

Yeti

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeti, if you are making a serious allegation that running well is a very simple matter, then you are wrong.

Otherwise, if this is an attempt at humour, I give you 5/10.

stumpy01

That stretch ^^^ absolutely kills my knee caps.

It does help if you place a small folded towel under the knee.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

5/10… sweet 🙂 Who says sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I read something about Insane Bolt’s training that spoke about hip flexor stretches and cable leg lifts to increase forward extension too.

iDave
    Free Member

better if the rear foot is on a block, eg, rear knee is bent more

surfer
    Free Member

running well is a very simple matter, then you are wrong

Depends what you mean by “well” the concept is easy and kids seem to pick it up quickly.
    Of course there is a whole media industry telling us how complex it is and regugetating articles on “how to run in the rain” and such like!

Running fast, now thats a different matter.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Stumpy, it hurts my knees too like that, so now I do them standing up. Like a calf stretch but try and keep my torso upright whilst bending the lower back as little as possible. Basically thrusting the pelvis forward.

A bit like in XC skiing actually – I bet XC skiiers don’t have tight hip flexors.

Surfer – I meant running well as in running efficiently – so fast for a period of time. Despite being crap at distance running I am actually very quick over a sprint. Not entirely sure why as the two should overlap a lot I think!

Dave – good point.. I started lying on my front and grabbing my ankles – couldn’t do this a couple of months ago, can now. Seems to stretch the whole thigh not just the top part.

surfer
    Free Member

I meant running well as in running efficiently – so fast for a period of time

Repetition builds efficiency as long as you can stay clear of injuries. Efficient runners often (but not always) look “good” however there are lots of examples of very fast runners with very poor form and vice versa. They run “efficiently” and perform well but look to have poor form.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

with very poor form

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_azxYbwGhY[/video]

surfer
    Free Member

Radcliffe is actually a very smooth runner, if you ignore the head bobbing thing.
    An example IMO of a runner who looked to have poor form would be Hugh Jones (2:10 and London Marathon winner)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s more the lack of symmetry that puzzles me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fair point surfer but personally, I’ve made huge jumps in my performance and comfort just by thinking about what I am doing. It may not be necessary, you may be able to run fast for ages instinctively – however I can’t!

IanMunro
    Free Member

What page of the Kama Sutra was this on again?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s on every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday lunchtime at my gym.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Molly's top running tips #2’ is closed to new replies.