Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mojo riders (or generally mid travel FS riders)
  • titusrider
    Free Member

My Mojo is running a standard triple and 9spd setup and the chain is pretty unreliable at the front. drops off/ and gets jammed frequently, mostly to the inside. Always on fast downhills.
    Im amin this at FS riders as with 140mm travel you can plough into rough sections so hard that the chain is gonna get a pretty hard time.
    This happens even on completly fresh drivechain components (all replaced together) and im getting a bit fed up of it.
    Do your run double and bash? does it help?
    do you run a chain guide ? if so which one?
    cheers

MRanger156
    Free Member

I now run a double/bash combo on my 140mm full suss all the time. It allows you to shorten the chain and therefore reduce the risk of the chain falling off. I can't remember the last time my chain came off.

I'd suggest you try this first as its a lot cheaper than a full chain guide and lighter.

stumpy01

I can't remember the chain ever coming off even over rough, technical descents at speed on my old Stumpjumper (~100mm travel) or my new one (140mm travel).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Backpedalling often derails the chain.

titusrider
    Free Member

cynical- i think i agree with you there but i need freedom to at least put in half a rotation to swap my feet. might be part of the problem but cant see me changing my riding style – id prefer to change the setup

richmtb

I ride a BLT with a double and bash and don't have any issues. Mind you a VPP pulls on the chain as the suspension compresses so maybe this helps keep the chain on

retro83
    Free Member

Meta 5 and pace rc 405. No chain issues after getting the alignment of the front mech perfect.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My pooint titusrider is that you can pedal forward to achieve the same thing and your chain drops less

*is too tight for chain device*

MRanger156
    Free Member

Is your chain at the correct length? As above check your mech but if you dont use your big ring I'd give the bash guard a try – worked for me and a few mates plus gives you a bit more clearance.

Pukz
    Free Member

I just changed to a 1×9 setup with a MRP X.1 top chain guide, 34-11 cassette & MRP Podium (longer teeth) 32T up front, it has been ace for general trail riding so far, I'm currently considering a 34/36T C/ring for a better range of gears – Trek Remedy 2010

Filthy
    Free Member

Daft question but… Are you riding in the big ring downhills, riding in the big ring with a large cog at the back increases chain tension and might be an easy solution to your problem!

thv3
    Free Member

What chainring are you using?

Tackling rough terrain at that kind of speed in the granny ring is asking for trouble.

I never had problems loosing the chain, but was always aware how much of a hammering it was getting being rattled about so much. I changed to a double and bash with a short cage mech which completely sorted the problem, much better chain tension now.

adam5555

Always had that problem on my 5 spot so I went to a double with bash, Chain device ( E13 drs). Now back on a triple and find just making sure you are in the big ring at the front sorts it, actually prefer the triple now. Although when I do forget to put it in the big ring now im finding it happens less which I put down to a newer rear mech. Think it might be that they have better springs in them now so keep the chain tension better

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mojo riders (or generally mid travel FS riders)’ is closed to new replies.