Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Moel famau routes
  • smartay

Took the dog for awalk up Moel Famau this morning, I knew it wouldn’t be suitable for the bike-frozen snow.However the start point for a couple of the routes from the lower car park are closed, this is due to felling operations ongoing.

Is there a new way of starting the trails or is it acase of seeing if you get stopped!

Nearer the top the forrestry have made some new roadway for accessing the timber if they stay looks like we will have afew more routes nearer the summit( of course I always get of and push the bike to the top!!)

midlifecrashes

You starting at Loggerheads? I’ve always gone up from Cilcain side, given that mrsmidlife’s mum had a farm there.

Out from the pub, past the church, round to meet the Garth road, on for 100 yds to Cae Newydd then pretty much straight up over the fields if you’re walking or can ride a bike up very steep things. You can also head further up the Garth road but you still come to a steep bit. Other option is to head south from Cilcain on the Loggerheads road, then up past Brithdir which will take you into the forestry and you can contour up a bit easier on the forestry roads. If you’re walking you can come back down to Loggerheads and follow the Leete back to Pantymwyn and then down and through Hesp Alyn farm(bridleway, but the owner keeps hiding the signs) and back up to Cilcain avoiding Trial Hill.

smartay

Cheers, just noticed on the Os map parking near to Heap Alyn, is it fairly safe. Not much parking in Cilcain if I remember only opposite the White Horse in front of the church.

midlifecrashes

Yes there is space for a good few cars next to the bridge, never saw any problems there, but haven’t been down much since they left the (Hesp Alyn) farm. That’s where caving clubs often park to head into the caves downstream.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Moel famau routes’ is closed to new replies.