Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Modular Hydration pack? Is their one available?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Thinking today – i have 2 hydration packs, A Hoss and Northface something or other.
    Always transferring things between them depending on ride length. Is their a Hydration pack available with zip on/off extra pouches etc?

Essentially – bladder pouch and small tool pouch, then a zip on larger pouch with extra storage space?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

take that as a no then?

wallop

Just buy two of everything and keep one in each pack.

crikey
    Free Member

Don’t think there is, but I just transfer the same bladder into bigger or smaller bags as needed, or most of the time, just take the small one and leave all the extraneous crap behind.

avdave2

There is a wingnut one that can be configured in 3 sizes.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

crikey/wallop both not great solutions in reality.

It would be an easy concept to make and market imo.

Main frame with tool pocket at the bottom and a zip on/off small pouch for “stuff” – compression straps roudn this.

For bigger days zip on a larger pouch and zip the smaller off

crikey
    Free Member

Yes, but you don’t actually need to carry as much as you do…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Crikey do you knwo what i carry and what i need to?

That is also the root of my question. Hence why i want a small bag that is expandable to carry a coat/food etc.

I knwo what the minimum i need to carry is – i want a bag for that, but with the ability to have pouches/a pouch that is able to be zipped on/off when needed. This is NOT about what people carry and what you deem necesarry to carry

crikey
    Free Member

Yes, and you carry too much.

TooTall
    Free Member

Always transferring things between them depending on ride length.

Do you actually take different stuff on a shorter ride, or could you use one pack and just, I dunno, ‘take things out’ for the shorter ride?

Overcomplicating and finding a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist IMHO.

monksie
    Free Member

You’re not going to get into a big slanging match with Crikey much like you did with Kaesea and the hilarious aheasdet saga are you?
    Actually, go on, do it. It was top.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no – just asked a sensible question steve thats all

singlespeedstu

Do you need a special compartment for storing your pentup anger towards a Scottish member of the forum?

monksie
    Free Member

Awww mate, it was a right laugh. Comedy genius.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

tootall i take the same main stuff on all rides – pump, repair kit, few nuts and bolts, tube, multi tool.
    On longer rides then a coat, food, camera and maybe a first aid kit.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

stu – definitely and maybe a bodybag for him also?? I expect you have a bespoke bag for your shiny one off tools/pump etc 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Ok, I’m not into having a slanging match either, but I can manage a 45 mile off road ride with a pump, two tubes, a multi-tool and a bladder in a minimal back pack.

Given that we live in a temperate climate with pretty good weather forecasting, it’s easy to dress appropriately, so you may need a waterproof top as well.

I struggle to see the need for the huge great packs that seem to be the uniform of the mountain biker.

I’d be interested to know how much stuff you carry, and what difference there is between a short ride and a long one.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

short ride 2hrs or so from home
    long ride 6-8hrs

depends on the area you are riding in also, how far from civilisation, changeability of weather conditions

re

I’d be interested to know how much stuff you carry

– i listed the basics up there somewhere /\

I know it’s not exactly what you’re after but one of these has worked pretty well for different length days out.

singlespeedstu

I expect you have a bespoke bag for your shiny one off tools/pump etc

No. I have a buttler to carry the despoke tools for me. 🙄 and a team of servants to carry the compressor in case of a change in weather and a need for mud tyres

😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lol at stu

wallop

That is also the root of my question. Hence why i want a small bag that is expandable to carry a coat/food etc

My camelback Octane 18x pretty much does this actually. It’s very lightweight, but it has a zip panel at the front to expand the main compartment.

crikey
    Free Member

Just use one size bag and take things out then?

To be honest I always think that the stuff you need on a bike is the same whether out for 2 or 6 hours, and, as I’ve said IMHO, most people carry loads of stuff they don’t need.

Most first aid kits are junk, there is nothing important in them that some duct tape and a clean hankie can’t deal with ( I’ve been a nurse for 20 odd years so my view may be different to others).

Cameras need special bags anyway so they are available to actually use without stopping and faffing.

Food… unless you are taking a whole chicken, you should be able to stick food in pockets or in your small bag.

Coats get stuck in pockets or on the back of the small bag.

I’m obviously different to you, but I think the less you carry, the more fun you have.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

10 -like the look of that. How does it expand???

rob-jackson
    Free Member

crikey – fair eniough but i NEVER ride with pockets except in shorts and a coat in them is plain uncomfortable

crikey
    Free Member

Fair enough: I’m a roadie for preference, and you’d be amazed how far you can make 3 pockets work…

BadlyWiredDog

Why not just put the things you carry regularly in a separate dry bag or pouch and transfer between packs like that? It seems like an easier solution than buying two modular packs, cheaper, less complicated and isn’t going to cost you a bunch of weight either.

Or is that just too simple a solution? 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

BWD – you missed the point. The dry bag idea is essentialy what i was asking about. Small hydration pack with 1 pocket for those things. Plus 2 modules – small and large.

Never intended buying 2 modular packs – 1 pack with modules – yes

iDave
    Free Member

Their modular pack isn’t available, as they’re using it over there.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Modular Hydration pack? Is their one available?’ is closed to new replies.