Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Modular aluminium profile systems
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Anybody have any advice or experience of using these? I need to make some support brackets for the garage. Light loading only so I thought some of this stuff bolted to the wall with a hinged arm would be useful.

Any brands to look out for who offer useful guides and are happy to deal in small quantities?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Aluminium warehouse online.
    You’ll struggle to beat them

andyl
    Free Member

It will cost you a lot more than some perforated steel angle or channel.

I use Misumi with a business account but the larger sections soon add up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    maccruiskeen

Would unistrut not be cheaper?

Onzadog
    Free Member

It might well be. I’m looking for a grown up version of meccano with hinges and bolted connectors (because I’m too old for Lego).

maccruiskeen

It might well be. I’m looking for a grown up version of meccano with hinges and bolted connectors

Pretty much unistrut then 🙂

richmars

Item from MBS Systems. I’ve used for years. Very good system and MBS always quick and will supply whatever you need.
    Item

TheGingerOne

My dad always used Dexion. Still around, but don’t know how it compares to other stuff mentioned. He acquired old industrial bits, but can buy ‘economy’ range see here

hammyuk
    Free Member

Make sure you’re sitting down when you order Unistrut.

hot_fiat

Check eBay for second hand dexion. They did Ali and Steel sections. Brand new it’s ££££££

Bolts were a real pita to source.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers folks. It’s starting to look like it might be cheaper to by timber and tools, and make my own stuff.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Unistrut 😉

Tracey

Years ago we bought a job lot of Dexion shelving for a few pounds that was used in an electrical store. Included all the shelves and all the bolts. The only downside was we had to dismantle and transit it all. Over the years 90% of it has been given away to friends and family to make shelving and we still have our garage and shed kitted with it.
    Still have a big tub of the bolts at the back of the shed.
    It’s like a giant Meccano set. Think ours is the steel stuff with galvanized shelving as it’s very heavy.

mickmcd
    Free Member

kjn aluminium sre the cheapest you will find in the UK , bar none comes from the same mill as item and bosch (ive been).

40×40 section is 7 quid a metre

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. The profile seems reasonably priced. It was when I started looking at hinges thing got silly.

richmars

I use Item Profile 8 (40×40) for general industrial use. Home use doesn’t need to be that large (depending on what you’re doing). My bench is 20×20 but only because a load was being thrown away. Too costly to buy myself.

Edit: Don’t use the hinge unless you need it, there are normally fittings that are cheaper if you just need a 90 degree joint.

mickmcd
    Free Member

6-10 quid for hinges that cost pennies is extortion like you say maybe wood and a trip to wickes?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Modular aluminium profile systems’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts