Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • MODS – Links not opening in new window
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Hello, is it just me or do any links open in the same window causing you to navigate away from the topic your viewing? Is there any way this can be changed to open in a new window… or is there a valid reason for them opening in the current one which I’m overlooking?

Example

bruneep

Known error, on the to do list apparently.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Ah ok sorry didn’t look for such a list, feel free to delete.

GrahamS

Opening links in the same window/tab is how the web works as standard.

If you want links to open in a new tab then middle-click on them (or hold the Control key, or right-click and choose “Open Link in New Tab”)

xc-steve
    Free Member

I always thought that if a link navigates away from the parent site its standard for the link to open in a new tab/window.

But a quick check of the internet standards top dog (bbc.co.uk) it seems their external links open in the same window. Still would rather it open in a new window tbh. But yes I’m just being lazy in not pressing ctrl!

miketually
    Free Member

The way it does it now is the right way.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Might be the “correct way” but for a comercial site its stupid…fundamentally your customers run out the door and down the road to look at a catalogue!

SSP

brakes
    Free Member

hold down ‘shift’ and click on it in IE on a PC

GrahamS

Forcing them to open in new windows/tabs is bad for accessibility. Read
    http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_16_not_opening_new_windows.html

Might be the “correct way” but for a comercial site its stupid…fundamentally your customers run out the door and down the road to look at a catalogue!

True, but another stupid thing for a commercial site to do is annoy its customers!

If a thread contains a link of interest then sometimes I may choose to open that link in a new tab, sometimes in a new window and sometimes in the same tab. I like being able to choose – being forced to always have a new tab would annoy me.

I usually have multiple tabs open on STW (one on the main forum and one on each thread I am reading) so if I open in the same tab I’m not “running out the door”. I’m.. errr.. just glancing out the window.. or something.

GrahamS

hold down ‘shift’ and click on it in IE on a PC

Just middle-click. No keyboard required.

jimmy

by middle click you mean the scroll wheel? thats works. Nice one.

GrahamS

Yep, just press in the scroll wheel.

You can also middle-click anywhere on the tab titles to close them (easier than clicking on the little X).

Potdog
    Free Member

Wow, Middle click, I never knew that. I like!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘MODS – Links not opening in new window’ is closed to new replies.