Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • "Modifying" road shoes for off road use
  • emsz
    Free Member

Bont?

They do custom shoes don’t they? Should be able to do pretty much exactly what you want I’d have thought?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I N R A T S but I reckon some carbon fibre and a spoon would sort this out no problemo.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Assuming you ignore all the common 😆 sense above think back 30 years to what the CXers did. Heels are easy. Screw, from the inside, something with tread on. We nailed bits of old CX tyre onto leather soles so adding a chunk of old MTB shoes is a piece of cake. you no longer have to worry about getting bulky toes into toe clips so some thing similar can be done at the front. DO it once, try to work out how much screw protrudes inside then remove the crew, cut it down and replace. Use a punch maybe to bend over the screw end instead and remember that the insole will sort out a few mm. To me its just a waste of a good shoe when the real thing would be better but its easy enough to do.

njee20
    Free Member

Having played with some S-Works road shoes this morning the small piece of tread at the heel is removable via screws from the inside, so you can definitely attach tread there. The forefoot would be the bigger issue, but the sole is quite flat, so I reckon you could glue it.

I actually use Egg Beaters, so Quattro cleats would fit, avoids issues with adapters:

May need to be trimmed so you could get some more aggressive tread up the outside.

DO it once, try to work out how much screw protrudes inside then remove the crew, cut it down and replace. Use a punch maybe to bend over the screw end instead and remember that the insole will sort out a few mm. To me its just a waste of a good shoe when the real thing would be better but its easy enough to do.

Good thought, but I’m not going to start making holes in them, it would be glue or nothing, that way if it fails I’ll just use them as road shoes, without additional holes!

I N R A T S but I reckon some carbon fibre and a spoon would sort this out no problemo.

I wondered if it was more spork territory myself.

Bont?

They do custom shoes don’t they? Should be able to do pretty much exactly what you want I’d have thought?

Good thought, big money though, particularly when I get Spesh at trade.

That said, not sure it’s gonna be a goer – the Cvndsh road shoes aren’t on the dealer site, may be concept stores only. Haterz rejoice 🙁

Macavity
    Free Member

MrOvershoot

I like your dogged determination Nick.
    If we all just accepted what was put in front of us the world would have been stuck in the stone age.

Pembo
    Free Member

Here’s what you need, and you can fund it yourself on kickstarter 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I like your dogged determination Nick.
    If we all just accepted what was put in front of us the world would have been stuck in the stone age.

I try 😉

I’m advancing footwear for the masses!

Pembo that is of no use whatsoever, gold star for an utterly useless contribution.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think they look horrible, just don’t like the black.

Tippex.

njee20
    Free Member

Was thinking more Dulux OneCoat.

The US gets white S-Works MTB, god knows why they only imported black and black/red.

RustySpanner

Good thread.

Running Conti Gatorskins with the tread from a Surly Nate stuck on with Araldite at the mo.
    Perfect for the slightly uneven gravel we get up here.
    Look great on my Santa Cruz Oprah.

Good grip and ultra light weight.

Used the 25’s instead of the 23’s though.
    23’s off road would just be stupid.

allthepies
    Free Member

😆

njee20
    Free Member

Very good!

RustySpanner

🙂

What do I know?
    I’m getting married in a pair of Vans.

Have you bought them yet?

njee20
    Free Member

If they’re available then yes, I am buying them. I will play around, if it fails I will have some nice new road shoes, and I’m no worse off than when I started.

I think they may only be available to Concept Stores though.

stoffel
    Free Member

he US gets white S-Works MTB, god knows why they only imported black and black/red.

Perhaps it’s because we (well, most of us anyway) have better taste. And that we hve stuff called mud here. As well as a whole raft of other very good reasojns.

I’m advancing footwear for the masses!

You’re not. You’re really not.

Maybe you’d like a pair of these?

That said, not sure it’s gonna be a goer – the Cvndsh road shoes aren’t on the dealer site, may be concept stores only. Haterz rejoice

In time, you’ll come to realise how lucky you were. 😉

RustySpanner

I like the grip tape idea.

What adhesive are you sticking the grippy bits on with?

njee20
    Free Member

Dunno, gonna screw the heel bits, unsure whether Shoe Goo or Araldite would be more effective.

Perhaps it’s because we (well, most of us anyway) have better taste.

You’re not one of them though, as you had to start a thread for advice on smart clothes because you’re a fan of “shorts and sandals”, and think C+A is a good place to buy a suit!

And that we hve stuff called mud here. As well as a whole raft of other very good reasojns.

And yet my 3 year old ones still look very white because you can wipe them clean, anywho, you’re annoying and being useless, go away.

stoffel
    Free Member

anywho, you’re annoying and being useless, go away.

😆

Oh come on; wanting a pair of the wrong shoes in the most impractical colour for mtbing, and publicly declaring it, yo’ve got to accept a bit of stick!

Maybe these are more your sort of thing:

😉

njee20
    Free Member

Oh come on; wanting a pair of the wrong shoes in the most impractical colour for mtbing, and publicly declaring it, yo’ve got to accept a bit of stick!

Why’s it impractical? They clean up perfectly. As you’ve never tried it I’m going to just leave your utterly useless opinion on the side here for you to collect when you leave! Good boy.

stoffel
    Free Member

Njee20; I am very sorry that I may have upset you with my comments, they weren’t meant to be at all malicious or insulting. Iwasn’t ware that you might be quite sensitive about this. I apologise.

sputnik
    Free Member

Burry Stander used to race in Sidi road shoes with CB eggbeaters.

MrOvershoot

If they clean up after a splattering I can’t see the problem.

Plenty out there
    White MTB shoes

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Margaret!

njee20
    Free Member

Well the LBS are going to try and get me some of the Cvndsh shoes. I’m not holding out much hope, and CBA to go to the hassle for the ‘normal’ S-works road shoes.

wiggles
    Free Member

if your looking form something out of the ordinary and stylish…

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Just had a brainwave. Do you have any current MTB shoes? Why not take a mould of the tread and cast a whole new sole including tread. Copy the Cleat slots over, drill out and glue the new soles to the existing new sole with a decent 2 part glue like Araldite or Fusor / Würth Replast.

iamtheresurrection

I had a pair of early Sidi MTB shoes in the early 90s. They were road shoes really, with a half arsed rubber sole attached.

The were super comfortable but had no protection around the toe box: I broke one big toe and frequently bruised others from hitting rocks over the years I had them. I’m older now, and dislike pain even more so I’d never wear a shoe off-road without a good, strong toe box.

Sidi Five XC at the moment. Love them.

njee20
    Free Member

Well the S-Works MTB shoes and road shoes have exactly the same toe box, so no more protection from the MTB ones.

Just had a brainwave. Do you have any current MTB shoes? Why not take a mould of the tread and cast a whole new sole including tread. Copy the Cleat slots over, drill out and glue the new soles to the existing new sole with a decent 2 part glue like Araldite or Fusor / Würth Replast.

Surely that would be less likely to stay put than glueing individual tread blocks on? As they’re available separately.

skinnyboy
    Free Member

You have the 3 inserts for a road cleat that could be used to affix at the front and use the rear inserts for err the rear.

If it was me, I would stick some surf board foam on to the sole and carve out a new grippy sole pattern. Then use this “buck” to make a mould and cast a new sole in rubber. You can even mould in a support shank. The more I think of this the more I like your idea haha

njee20
    Free Member

Thanks for those who advised, I could get the Cvndsh shoes, but only by buying 6 pairs, whilst I’d use two, I’d struggle with the other 4, so back to the drawing board! Not sufficiently keen on the S-Works road shoe to try and bodge a conversion.

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘"Modifying" road shoes for off road use’ is closed to new replies.