Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • modifying a dB killer
  • juan
    Free Member

i know I know I could just remove it, but it's apparently too loud without.
    So should I
    Increase the size of the holes inside?
    Cut the bottom of it to make it a pipe rather than a cylinder?
    Drill more holes?

tinsy
    Free Member

Is it an exhaust silencer your on about?

juan
    Free Member

thanks tinsy. I'll pass on the details 😉
    It's an akrapovich exhaust for a street triple. So yes the silencers we are talking about

tinsy
    Free Member

can I put my answers back there now?

Had i guessed what you wanted first time?

Answers to the question I though you was asking.

Just fit a slip on race can, if its a motorbike or slip on straight through silencer box if its a car.

If you try and modify what you have by drilling holes it will make it louder but in an awful my exhaust is broken kind of way…

edited again..

Akroprovic, if its not loud enough for your pals tastes, it must be a street legal one, are some of those not modifiable with an end cap to make them either legal or race loud?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i know I know I could just remove it, but it's apparently too loud without.

Too loud for what? French 'MOT'? The police?

The idea is that if you want it loud, you take it out. If you want it quiet, put it back in. If you modify it, then you can't be 100% legal at all.

So have you bought a ST3 then? 🙂

juan
    Free Member

lol
    not it's not mine (yet 😉 ) and considering it's going to cost me more than the 536€ to fix angela not mine for a few years/month.

But yes it's a removable one, and with it is meant ot be legal. However without it is going to be a cop magnet.
    Cheers anyway

richtea
    Free Member

pff, too loud? 🙄 😆

epicsteve
    Free Member

When the dealer fitted a Motad system to my CBR they just recommended the db killer for MOT's and out the rest of the time. Having ridden it with the db killer in it's terrible, so that seemed to be the only option.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But yes it's a removable one, and with it is meant ot be legal. However without it is going to be a cop magnet.
    Cheers anyway

Oh. I thought the French cops were pretty decent with bikes. Maybe it's just the locals they hate? 😉

I know what you mean though. Silence = Stealth = No bother, which is why I keep my bikes quiet. 🙂

clubby

You could cut the end off but it won't be much quieter than just taking it out. Had this dilema with the terminognis on my ducati after trouble other people in the area had with police. Ran them killer-less for all last year but grudgingly put them back in this summer after one guy was threatened with an asbo. Police backed down after a lot of agro.

Some exhaust makers will make shorter one with and in between sound level try.

http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/
    http://www.performanceracingparts.co.uk

Or try to get a second hand set on ebay, cut off the round end then shorten the perforated tube and weld end back on.

tinsy
    Free Member

I see just your 2 options as far as I see it, either in or out, thing is some pipes/bakes are only stupid loud when its revving hard, have you heard itrun without it in place could it be ridden sedately with not too much noise until your out in the open a bit?

My supermoto upset everyone and even I got so I wished it was quiet, that bike was never ever quiet no matter what rev's…. my old bandit could be ridden quietly though despite the rce can.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘modifying a dB killer’ is closed to new replies.