Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Modify XT 785 hub to 130mm
  • drotos
    Free Member

I’ve a Sh XT 785 rear hub (in a complete wheel), but I’d like to use it in my 130mm spaced cyclocross frame… Is that possible to cut 2.5-2.5mm from each side of the axle, and dust cover, too? Or any other way to modify the hub?

scotroutes

What is the frame made of? You might find you can spring it enough to fit the 135 hub. My Van Nicolas Amazon is 132.5 and takes a 135 hub with little effort.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I don’t know this particular model hub but I did something similar with an older XT hub, using a box of different sized spacers and some vernier calipers.

Edit just googled the hub in question, there appears to be a disappointing lack of spacers to play with.

drotos
    Free Member

cyclistm – You are right, there are no spacers. That’s why I’m thinking about trimming the axe, and the end caps…

jonk

Buy a very cheap Shimano road hub and swap the axles and lock nuts over.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

You dont want to mess with the drive side spacing at all. If you can trim the axle on the non drive side by 5mm and somehow reduce the cone/spacer by 5mm as well. The wheel will need a slight re dish as well.

drotos
    Free Member

lookmanohands – I’m afraid there will be too short threads, if i cut only the non drive side cup by 5mm…

lovewookie

Think taking the axle out and removing 2.5mm off each end is going to be the only way to do it. plus the same off the rear of each end cap too. thankfully they have 5mm hex flats in them so you don’t have to worry about spanner flats when removing material.

getting it all totally parallel is going to be challenging. when doing up QR’s you want to load the cone evenly, if it’s not then you’ll end up going through bearings rapidly if you can get it adjusted OK.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

If you mess with the drive side spacing you’ll run out of clearance for the cassette.
    If you mess with the non-drive side you’ll wrerck the disc spacing.
    So the answer is ‘no’ unless you want to run with rim brakes. Then you’ll have to re-dish the wheel if you manage to take enough off the non-drive side.

lovewookie

That is a good point. 2.5mm may be too much for the driveside.

Most frames can be stretched to accommodate 5mm without alignment problems or issues with strength.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Modify XT 785 hub to 130mm’ is closed to new replies.