Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 'Modern' Trail Bike that works well with 3 x 10 ?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Are there any current/recent release ‘trail’ bikes that work with well with a 3 x drivetrain?

Almost everything I see is 1 x specific or optimised for 1 x with a few having 2 x set ups but wondered if there are still a few die hards putting out bikes that go well with 3 x ?

scotroutes

Anything that runs 2x should run 3x just fine.

When I was selecting a bike last year I went with an Orbea Occam due to the fact it still supported the use of a front mech. but I’m sure there are others out there.

The one thing you might want to check is swingarm/chainstay clearance with an inner ring.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Anything that runs 2x should run 3x just fine.

Mmmmhhhh – not too sure about this.

Going from 3x to 2x is normally no problem.
    But some 2x frames are designed that the chainstay – appears to me at least – way too close to the fit the huge cog of a 3×10.
    Lets say a 42T.

Doubt that the mtb frame designers still have a 3×10 system in mind…
    And pretty silly: many only design for 1x any more.
    Can’t understand this.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m pretty certain all the Banshee bikes take front mechs – so for a trail bike either the Phantom (105mm rear, 120-140mm forks, 29 or 27.5+ tyres) or the Spitfire (140mm rear, 140-160mm forks, 27.5 or 26 tyres).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not done the maths in a while but does 3×10 give you anything significant (or useful) over 2×11 in terms of range?

jamj1974

And pretty silly: many only design for 1x any more.
    Can’t understand this.

Because with 1×11 or 1×12, you get most if not all of the benefits of 3×10 or 2×10 with less weight, complexity and for some suspension designs – less compromise in suspension performance.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

While 1 x 11/12 clearly gives you lots of benefits (I use 1 x 12 myself) there are still a significant number of riders using or preferring 3 x set ups. That is their preference and choice so was really wondering what is out there to cater for that market now or whether the industry is phasing it out totally despite their still being some demand.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are there a lot? Again don’t really see them, hardly see a front mech these days. As I said 2×11 should do the job with less overlap.

nickc

well, SRAM have said they’re never going to make a front mech again, so if, as a bike manufacturer you want to fit SRAM components, you HAVE to fit a 1x. And TBH, if you’ve spent as much as SRAM probably have on development, why would you offer a front mech anyway?

See that other thread, 3x systems are dying off on the kinds of bikes folk on here want to own.

kayak23

This forum member is running 2×10 on his Cotic Flare, so I imagine it’d take 3x.

vincienup
    Free Member

From last time I looked at gearing, a triple does have a longer range than even Eagle, but it’s questionable how much use it would be on what most people think of as a trail bike. I’d be less surprised seeing it on something bikepacky, but really I think it’s reasonable to count triples as a niche interest by this point, probably not quite doubles yet. If manufacturers force the issue by taking advantage of progress to not force design compromises that would accommodate front mechs and multiple retailers rings, that’s fine. Presumably they know their market.

The Flare does need a sideswing front mech btw.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Are there a lot? Again don’t really see them, hardly see a front mech these days. As I said 2×11 should do the job with less overlap.

Of the 10 or so folk that I regularly ride with or see on the local trails, all of whom have relatively recent bikes and are relatively well informed about bike developments at least 5 riders still have a 2 or 3 x systems. A couple really do not want to go 1 x for whatever reason. Maybe if they tried it they’d love it but for now they are adamant that 2 or 3 x is better for them. I also see quite a few 3 x systems at trail centres.

I’ve been on 1 x 10/11/12 myself for a few years as I never really liked the front mech anyway but from what i’ve seen there does still seem to be a demand for other systems. Maybe it’s a local issue…..

DezB
    Free Member

I only kept 3X on my bike because I thought it didn’t need changing – a valid reason – I mean, why spend out on new shifters if you don’t have to?
    However, when I did need to change stuff and could swap from one bike to another, the 3X was ditched and I can’t imagine ever wanting to use it again!
    If you could get a 3X direct mount front mech, then my RM Instinct would take it. But it’s a 2 year old model, I doubt the new ones even have a mounting point.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Maybe if they tried it they’d love it but for now they are adamant that 2 or 3 x is better for them. I also see quite a few 3 x systems at trail centres.

I’ve been on 1 x 10/11/12 myself for a few years as I never really liked the front mech anyway but from what i’ve seen there does still seem to be a demand for other systems.

Don’t like to start a 1x 2x or 3x discussion.
    Have couple bikes with different (low cost) drive trains.
    Beat my friends with 3x on long, downhill, forest roads. But don’t like this bike so.
    For very long, steep uphill:
    Deore 2×10 is low cost and just great. Front cog 24, rear 42. 24/42 = 0.571
    Very hard to beat. At least with 1×11.
    If I know that I have to go long ways up (with backpack for example) – I take the Deore 2×10 (M6000). The 1×11 mountain bike friends with 1×11 easily suffer in these situations.
    1×12 might solve this as well. But can’t affort…

sillyoldman

2x compatibility doesn’t mean 3x will work. My old Split Pivot Horsethief would take up to 34T 1x, or 36/26 2x, but no 3x compatibility. Not sure if that’s changed now.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

2x compatibility doesn’t mean 3x will work.

😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘'Modern' Trail Bike that works well with 3 x 10 ?’ is closed to new replies.