Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Modern technology…
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having grown up in a world where you were out of communication from leaving the house until you see a phone box I’m currently listening to streaming music while heading to cruising altitude and still online.

Is the future here?

nickc

have you got a jet pack, and are you eating a pie from a tube?

Klunk
    Free Member

wheres my hoverboard !!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One does not ear on the plane it’s a liquid diet though I doubt getting a martini on this one

molgrips
    Free Member

No, we still have a way to go yet.

I just flew to Glasgow and back to sit in an office and exchange a few words a day with someone. What a bloody waste of precious energy. Where’s our immersive video conferencing?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not until the truly paper-less office happens it isn’t

dragon
    Free Member

I’ll be honest while I’m a huge fan of connectivity, it can be too much. I’d far rather have times away from it all, such as on a plane where I’m free from all that.

dazh

It’s impossible to get a 3G signal as soon as you go about 5 miles from a population centre. We still have a long way to go.

matt_outandabout

dazh +1

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s impossible to get a 3G signal as soon as you go about 5 miles from a population centre. We still have a long way to go.

That’s overstating it a bit! What network are you on?

nickc

That’s overstating it a bit!

we produce enough food to feed everyone, and yet people still die of hunger, how’s that?

whitestone
    Free Member

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don’t. Last weekend in Scotland I turned my mobile off on Friday night and didn’t turn it back on until I’d done my bit of driving back south on Monday afternoon/evening. Sometimes I’ll take the phone with me on a ride, sometimes I won’t.

Milkie
    Free Member

Having grown up in a world where you were out of communication from leaving the house until you see a phone box I’m currently listening to streaming music while heading to cruising altitude and still online.

Is the future here?
    You’re not in Wales then. 😆

2 miles from our town centre and you have no signal. Am I the only that thinks the most useful time to have phone signal is in the countryside where you might not see anyone for hours. It’s crazy that they are pushing 4G, we have 4G but no signal a few miles from the centre.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For the 3g I’ve been chatting on Google hang outs with my dad for the duration of the flight while he is out looking the sheep in the fields a log way from a town.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Technology wise we’re certainly in the future of my childhood. I remember thinking the Video Calls things would be amazing, of course now – I think anyone who tried to facetime me is a total **** ****.

Mindset wise we’re still a way off.

Every morning millions of people all try to move around an over-stretched network at the same time to get to an office to work on a computer. Why? It’s madness.

We’re still in a society that measures work in input and not output, what time you get in, how much noise you can make about how hard you work, how late you can stay – all total BS.

There still seems to be this idea that you need to be present, in front of someone who you call ‘boss’ or you’ll just sack off in front of the TV all day. The technology exists to measure output without resorting to monitoring peoples desktop all day, technology exists to move your ‘landline’ number around, to skype, to message, to e-mail to do all those things, but we still, for the most part all go to the same place, dress in a way we never would at any other time and use all those tools to communicate with people in the same building.

In a few moments I’ll be heading home, I work from home half a day a week to cut down on childcare costs, it was hard to arrange and a major coup for me to get – some of my colleagues won’t notice I’ve gone, if they phone my extension they’ll still talk to me, I’m still on Skype for business, still on e-mail, still working, but it’s seen as a perk.

DezB
    Free Member

I googled and found this photo. So it must be

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

jazz mags are a thing of the past

Drac

One day technology will allow people to post in the right forum.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lol one day edit will allow you to change it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ow drac pet like change it pet like eh pet

DezB
    Free Member

The future will be here in July 2017.
    When everyone gets a…

Cyclotron!

The proof:

molgrips
    Free Member

We’re still in a society that measures work in input and not output, what time you get in, how much noise you can make about how hard you work, how late you can stay – all total BS.

A-frickin-men!

It’s crazy that they are pushing 4G, we have 4G but no signal a few miles from the centre.

Well most users are in the town center aren’t they? I’ve generally found coverage good as I travel around, but I don’t live in the countryside so it your house happened to be in a shadow, that would be annoying. They should be handing out boosters for this purpose (and IIRC they are).

we produce enough food to feed everyone, and yet people still die of hunger, how’s that?

That is indeed shameful, but I was just talking about mobile phone signal.

If you want to get deep, the future will be here when the age of scarcity ends and we can produce limitless food and materials for negligible cost.

Nico
    Free Member

For the 3g I’ve been chatting on Google hang outs with my dad for the duration of the flight while he is out looking the sheep in the fields a log way from a town.

Still some way to go with auto-correct.

scruff
    Free Member

Need a new abundant clean energy source. Then we can have new technology to produce things like transporters, food replication, autobots and hoverboards

RobHilton
    Free Member

Why is that project timeline made of anal beads?

rogermoore

😀 @Nico
    RM.

scud
    Free Member

2 miles from our town centre and you have no signal. Am I the only that thinks the most useful time to have phone signal is in the countryside where you might not see anyone for hours. It’s crazy that they are pushing 4G, we have 4G but no signal a few miles from the centre.

Another one here that lives in a rural area and can’t get a phone signal let alone 3G/4G for the internet in a 15 mile radius, funny thing is when i asked 3Mobile if i could develop an app, where it showed the percentage of time i have phone reception and deducted that from the £54 a month they charge me? They thought i was joking, pointed out i’d been knocked off bike twice and couldn’t even phone Police, nope still not serious. Pointed out my daughter is Type 1 and we’ve had to phone Doctors and care team at hospital when out and about, but can’t, still not worth nothing to them. My wife is on call at the hospital we work, every second weekend, and is basically house bound as we can’t get signal at all as soon as we step away from box in house that provides rudimentary phone signal!

So all in all, i don’t feel that attached to technology

CountZero

I’ll be honest while I’m a huge fan of connectivity, it can be too much. I’d far rather have times away from it all, such as on a plane where I’m free from all that.

Ever heard of switching the bloody machines off? Go for a walk somewhere with a nice view, sit down and look at it, take some photos, but otherwise just sit and look, or go for a walk in some woods, like West Woods near Marlborough, and look at the bluebells, there’s bugger-all connectivity there.
    It’s not a difficult thing to do, you don’t need a sodding instruction sheet from a grown-up showing you how to do it!
    #rollseyes.

Well most users are in the town center aren’t they? I’ve generally found coverage good as I travel around, but I don’t live in the countryside so it your house happened to be in a shadow, that would be annoying. They should be handing out boosters for this purpose (and IIRC they are).

How wonderful it must be to live in your urban paradise!
    Do you actually thing that everywhere outside of the boundaries of every urban sprawl is entirely devoid of human habitation? That its some sort of glorified theme park for the likes of you to go and play in?
    How bloody patronising.
    Try venturing into the south of England, through Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, along the A303/30, and see just what sort of phone coverage you get; it’s quite possible to drive for twenty-thirty minutes, ten or more miles, and have zero phone signal.
    🙄

fozzie
    Free Member

I was thinking about this a few days ago in the pub, while using my wireless telephone to check the location of a bucket of jelly beans in Ireland.

aracer
    Free Member

Cougar

Ever heard of switching the bloody machines off?

This. The problem isn’t tech, it’s self control. Even pre-mobile days I remember the landline ringing at my grandparents’ house and they’d jump and react like it was a fire alarm going off. “PHONE PHONE QUICK THE PHONE’S RINGING PHONE QUICK BEFORE THEY HANG UP!!1!”

I carry a phone for my benefit, not every bugger else’s. If it rings and I’m busy, it can keep ringing. If it’s important they’ll leave a message or ring back and in any case there’s caller ID.

I’m one of the most connected people on the planet in terms of messengers, social media, email, phone etc etc and I now get immediate alerts on my watch. But then I look at those alerts and think “oh, a Facebook message, I’ll pick that up in a bit” safe in the knowledge that it’s not a text from my mother who’s just fallen down the stairs.

molgrips
    Free Member

How wonderful it must be to live in your urban paradise!
    Do you actually thing that everywhere outside of the boundaries of every urban sprawl is entirely devoid of human habitation? That its some sort of glorified theme park for the likes of you to go and play in?
    How bloody patronising.

Heh.

I went to a primary school with two years to a class, a high school with 300 kids and my best mate was a farmer. As for Devon and Cornwall.. hahaha.. positively suburban compared to Herefordshire. You’re rammed with tourists and you just mentioned two massive busy dual carriageways! I do plenty of driving and staying in the countryside including the A303 and A30. So get that chip off your shoulder, you aren’t anything like as wild as you think.

That its some sort of glorified theme park for the likes of you to go and play in?

Honestly got no idea where you got that from. Been drinking maybe?

jam-bo

Try venturing into the south of England, through Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, along the A303/30, and see just what sort of phone coverage you get; it’s quite possible to drive for twenty-thirty minutes, ten or more miles, and have zero phone signal.

You see, I live in deepest darkest Devon and don’t really recognise that. Sure there are deadspots but nothing like what you talk about.

bedmaker

I listened to music on a walkman back in the 80’s. It was streaming from the tape to my ears. Amazeballs!

Technology is changing the world!

Really though, shopping for odd stuff is much easier and there’s more ways to waste time. Those are the two main things.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Flying cars and a 5 course meal in a pill

That’s what tomorrow’s world promised for the year 2000

Still waiting

darrell
    Free Member

the future sucks

1976 was much much much better

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Modern technology…’ is closed to new replies.