Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Modern Shimano BB Mounted Front Mechs..?
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

Having noticed that quite a few single ring only full sus bikes have standard threaded BB’s, and come across Shimano mounts for some of their front mechs for standard threaded BB’s, and being the kind who still uses thumbies and uses an 8 speed rear mech with my nine speed cassette for cheapness should it get bent, are they any good, how have people found them in use?

So long as they work okay I’m happy enough, but how would they compare to Deore 9 speed mechs from the early noughties? I had one on my fully rigid Mongoose Switchback from the mid 90’s, and it was a bit ‘agricultural’, with a fair (and clanky) delay happening in shifting.

Before committing, I’d make sure there was frame clearance for a front mech.

Thanks…

TimothyD
    Free Member

Bump ouch

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The bottom bracket mounted mechs (E-type is shimanos name IIRC) need an addition boss on the seat tube about 60-70mm from the centre of the BB shell.
    Basically to stop the front mech rotating round the bottom bracket (and to give some stiffness). You can weld a threaded boss to any shaped seat tube, thats why e-type exists, the mech is always perfectly located.

I have seen a band on clamp with the correct boss fitted, but no idea where to get them, or if they work.

The actual mechs work extremely well.

vmgscot

As ghostlymachine has said – the BB mount mechs (E-type) need a boss or bolt on boss as well as mounting to the BB in place of one of the spacers. If you want to try I have 3 or 4 XT/XTR E-type mechs I no longer use in good nick – say a tenner posted for one?

Email in profile if you are interested.

TimothyD
    Free Member

vmgscot: Thanks, I shall email you some time today. Would you say it’s plausible that one could use a strip of metal with some holes in to go from the hole which is at roughly ‘2 o-clock’ on the bottom bracket plate to the ISCG05 mount hole which is in a similar place – above the bottom bracket shell to hold the mount in the right orientation relative to the frame and chainrings?

Are they top or bottom pull?

Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Modern Shimano BB Mounted Front Mechs..?’ is closed to new replies.