Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Modern Marzocchi
  • glenp
    Free Member

What’s the latest wisdom? Anyone got thoughts and experience on quality, reliability – especially lighter trail forks. Like the look of the 44, and I always liked Marzocchi of the old “Bomber” era.

richc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t, Marzocchi seems to **** it reputation for reliability by outsourcing (sorry best shoring, outsourcing is very 2006/07) to a cheaper location.

Olly
    Free Member

now made by suntour in taiwan as a posed to zocchi in italy

08s onwards are ARSE

(i used to love zocchis, and would buy older ones second hand for sure, but wouldnt touch the new ones with a 10ft shttystick)

fastindian
    Free Member

I’m running(for 10 months)a pair of 07 XC600’s and they’ve already had the ATA cartridge relpaced under warranty. Dont know if this is common.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I run the 07 66 sl1 ATA’s, they went to windwave before I got them but they have been excellent for the past 6(?) months.

I think the OP’s talking about the 08-09 which do come from Asia, I’ve heard a few people say that they have heard someone say to someone that they arn’t any good but I’ve yet to meet a single person who has actually been riding them!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m sticking with my old zocchis because of the stupendous price of new forks that compare performance/maintenance wise. I also found air forks (zocchi and others) just aren’t very plush, even after hundreds of miles.

nickc

The cheaper Maz forks have always been made by Suntour, and Suntour make some other “cheaper” forks as well.

I think the problems started after the Bike Suspension part of the Maz group was sold off to Tenneco.

rolfharris
    Free Member

I’m a diehard Marzocchi fan- I’ve had 3 sets of Marzocchi AM SLs from 2005 across 3 different bikes at various points, 2 of which I still run. However, I borrowed a set of 2007 XC700s, the precursor to the 44, over the winter and I’d be tempted to say they are one of the worst forks I’ve ever used.

The ATA failed. The damping failed. They were serviced by Windwave. The damping failed. The ATA failed. The stanchions corroded. I got some Rock Shox. Which I’m not too happy with either. Magura are the way to go to be honest.

sherry
    Free Member

I have got the retro XC 600 ETA 130mm 2007 (bargain £200 from merlin) forks and they are a very good trail fork. Never had any probs with them and never been serviced in over 14 months of use, although they are not used all of the time as there on my hardtail. I think the ATA has had a lot of probs and is pretty unreliable, better sticking to the ETA. I have had 4 different marzocchi forks and they have all been excellent, not tried any of the newer models though (2008/09).

nasher
    Free Member

Marzocchi are going through the phase that Rock shox did before then were bought by SRAM and then introduced the Pike, revelation etc..

The psylos etc were crap, and thery just churned them out for a couple of years before the new stuff came out.

In 2010 I believe Marzochi will be revamped, they have been bought out (like SRAM did to rock shox) and their head engineers etc.. have been sacked to make way for new blood.

Just wait a bit and I reckon Marzocchi will be top dog again…cant wait as I love my 66’s

jonb
    Free Member

Any thoughts on Magura people, they look more reasonably priced than Rockshox any good?

Also what happened to Manitou, still Manipoo?

corroded
    Free Member

Ditto: any feedback on Maguras? Liking the look of the Menja.

RicB

I love my Magura Laurins. Bit divey unless you sort out the pressure (set it according to spring rate, not sag) and I squirted a bit of oil into the air chamber to increase the ramp-up. Very stiff for a qr and nicely plush.

Magura seals are amazing – I did a lowers service on them recently and after 12 months of night riding twice a week the foam rings were almost spotless.

A quick search on the mtbr forums should tell you all you need to know about Zocci reliability, or complete lack of

bigyinn
    Free Member

Isnt there a recall on early menjas. Cracking on one of the fork braces?

onandon
    Free Member

Marathon race’s are IMHO one of the best XC forks ever made.
    light at 3.2 lbs and feel great, the new stuff isn’t too good but then again ive only teated but not lived with them for any length of time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Modern Marzocchi’ is closed to new replies.