Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • modern forks are rubbish…
  • ianpv
    Free Member

I bought a set of lyriks a couple of months ago, and from the box they were awful, so I sent them back to fishers. They came back, and were still awful so I sent them to TF. £90 later they came back again, and finally they were fantastic – he resized the bushes and they worked superbly. I figured that just maybe they’d been worth the outlay.

12.5 hours (130km) of riding later, I’ve noticed scratches on both stanchions that you can feel with your finger – they’ve only been on one vaguely wet ride. they aren’t interfering with the function yet, but on a fork that retails at over £800 this is ridiculous. This fork has done less than 20 hours total and been serviced twice in that time.

Do you think the retailer should replace the stanchions?

I’m off to scotland next week for a weeks riding, so am tempted to return them after that. Looks like I may just put the old reliable Z1 lights back on…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That’s really bad

ianpv
    Free Member

I agree 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

If they were shite from the off i would have asked for replacements. Cannot polish a lemon.

ianpv
    Free Member

I did ask for a replacement, but fishers sent them back saying there was nothing wrong with them. Not what TF said when he saw them! I’ll see if I can get a replacement next week. Although then I may have to send that one to TF too… so annoying!

Does anyone have a 150mm 2006 66 2RCX they want rid of?

nigew
    Free Member
    ianpv
    Free Member

Nice find Nigew, thanks! I used to have a set of the 170mm ones but sold them when I got rid of the big bike they were on. Weighty but fantastic. If Evans refund me (surely they should?) I’m having a set of them – hope they stay in stock!

jam-bo

I’ll give you £100 for the lyrics…

ianpv
    Free Member

Nice try. Give me £450+ p&p and you’ve got a deal.

druidh
    Free Member

I can’t see that Evans will refund you since you’ve had them “modified” by a 3rd party?

Doug
    Free Member

Coil sprung and open bath, it’s the future.

ianpv
    Free Member

Will be interesting when I return them I expect, and I’m bracing myself for a struggle. I hate returning things. Although I’m pretty sure TF are authorized rockshox dealers/servicers, as they sell the forks, and Tim used to work for rockshox I think. If he isn’t allowed to service them, and yet you’re meant to get them serviced as your end of the warranty bargain, then it seems a bit catch-22 to me.

Clearly the importers know **** all about what a fork is meant to feel like… as they had them returned to them once and said they were fine (even thought you could feel the bushings binding – I didn’t even put them on the bike, you could feel it just by compressing them)

ianpv
    Free Member

Doug – and the past :-). If I had a spare £350 I’d order those forks from winstanleys right now.

retro83
    Free Member

Hmm, seems like lots of people have bushing problems with Lyrics. Wonder what’s scratched the stanchions? Have you had the lowers off to see if there is dirt under the seals or did the bushings cause that? (not saying it’s your fault just curious)

epicyclo

Why on earth do we tolerate exposed fork stanchions?

Telescopic forks would last much longer if they were properly protected.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

druidh – Member

I can’t see that Evans will refund you since you’ve had them “modified” by a 3rd party?

Yup

Doug – Member

Coil sprung and open bath, it’s the future.

Yup

Epicyclo – motorcycles used to use rubber boots a lot – but the tendency is for grit and water to collect behind the boots – gets sucked in when the fork extends. Out of sight out of mind and your stanchions get ruined.

Open bath with proper seals stops most of the damage.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Presta valve!!! 😆 Hope you get it sorted , mate!
    I’ve had some truely awesome customer service out of Fishers,and have full confidence in their warranry guys and sevice technicians.Depends who does the job though, i guess. I’d imagine that Evans would need to send them back for inspection and Fishers will end up replacing the upper tubes while finding the root of the problem and fixing that too. Would TF be able to carry out warranty work? Might be worth asking as he’s such a matey guy and local too.
    Good luck! Giler.

neil853
    Free Member

had exactly the same problem myself after only one wet ride, really! there’s no chance of you getting anything under warranty though as in the manual it states that stanchions are not covered under the warranty. you’ll have to let me know how you go though!

plus it says (somewhere)that the fork should be stripped every 10 hours riding!!!!! its a simple job and i’ve done it a few times myself now but its a piss take to service your forks in my case, once every 2-3 weeks!

the thing is though my mates fox floats did the same! the problem with ours is that the top seal isn’t good enough. don’t ride them until you’ve stripped them as some dirt must be between the leg qand the dust seal.

its a simple job and there’s a video on the dirt website, there’s a vid of the boxxser which as the same stripping procedure.

if you need any help finding it let me know.

ampthill

This is really insane

Its worth saying that you shouldn’t need a warranty here. Surely any judge would say not fit for purpose

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stop confusing warranty with your rights under the sale of goods act FFS!

warranty is at the manufacturers discretion and is above the basic level of protection under the sale of goods act – the Sale of goods act is where you get the “fit for purpose” from. However by having them modified by a 3rd party you have ruined your chances under the sale of goods act

Stanchions that wear like that would not be “fit for purpose” I am sure.

cynic-al
    Free Member

– the Sale of goods act is where you get the “fit for purpose” from

I think it’s there at common law actually.

EDIT: That may be b0110X

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hi Al 🙂

IIRC its actually in the statute for sale of goods act. Probably common law from before the SOG tho

ampthill

Does the sale of goods act specifically exclude modification?

particularly were the modification is in fact servicing by a competent person? Car manafacturers are no longer allowed to insist on dealer servicing

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC SOGA was prompted by (inter alia) SH motors sold by dealers that fell apart on the way home – no protection at common law.

No to say there’s no protection for buyers of new goods. For instance, at common law, services must be provided to a reasonable standard.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ampthill – dunno for sure – have a google for it. However I would think that it would mean that making the case that it was a “inherent defect” much harder cos all the retailer has to do is say that it is the fault of the person who modified them that the fork has worn.

A whole world of pain

ianpv
    Free Member

This whole ‘modified by a third party’ thing is pretty funny. TF resized the bushings as part of a service – not an extraordinary thing to do. TF check and resize the bushes (as necessary) on every fork they sell direct – do they have no warranty as a result of being ‘modified’ by a ‘third party’?!

I fail to see how asking a rockshox dealer to get the fork to work as designed is a ‘modification’, and I hope that Fishers/Evans will agree.

epicyclo

TandemJeremy –
    …Epicyclo – motorcycles used to use rubber boots a lot – but the tendency is for grit and water to collect behind the boots – gets sucked in when the fork extends. Out of sight out of mind and your stanchions get ruined.

Open bath with proper seals stops most of the damage.

Doesn’t have to. This was sorted on motorbikes over 40 years ago. You have a breather tube with a bit of small (as in tiny) air cleaner foam dipped in oil. End of problem. I rode my motorbike in Oz over 40k miles with a set up like this and had no wear on predominantly dirt roads (very gritty) in north western Queensland. This included the mud fests when the wet season hit. Rubber gaiters weigh next to nothing, so there’s no performance hit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

to me it beggars belief that a £700 odd fork doesn’t work perfectly out of the box.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Cannot polish a lemon.

But you can get lemon scented polish – wierd.

neil853
    Free Member

but are these marks down to the bushings or dirt that has past the seal? if it was the bushings surely it would have worn a larger area away (removed the anodising from a large section of the leg and not just lines)

Thats what happened with mine, dirt got past the seal and put those exact thin lines on the leg, shit really. as someone on here has said, £900 for a fork and they have to be serviced once every 2-3 weeks when riding once a week?!

Carbis

Modern forks are rubbish,
    1998 OEM Z3s worked for 5 years before the seals went (no servicing as I didn’t have the cash at the time)
    2005 Marzocchis lasted 3 years before the seals went (now serviced and working better than ever).
    2008 Pikes lasted 5 rides now with Fishers!

I thought things were meant to improve with manufacturers development and performance has to an extent but I want to riding my bike not servicing the forks every 4 rides!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I alawys used marzocchi forks and never had a problem but I then got a 2nd hand pair of Fox 36’s and wore the coating off the stanchions because I neglected to service them.

Got rid a few months ago and bought some 05 Z1’s cos I know they’ll run for ages without having to touch them.

The performance may not be quite as good but the fact you dont have to faff about servicing them every couple of weeks makes up for it.

I read the new 2010 marzocchis are all going to be using the old open bath design, so things are looking up.

alpin
    Free Member

should i be worried?

i’ve just put a set of lyriks on my DB Alpine. think they are 08. anything i should look/watch out for? any preventative measures that can be taken….?

cheers

auricgoldfinger

alpin – depends which ones. If they are two-step airs then yes you probably have got something to worry about.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just follow the servicing intervals and you should be ok I imagine. Once every 15 hours of riding i think which is a bit of a ballache but worth it if you have expensive forks

alpin
    Free Member

bugger. yup 2-step.

bike mechanic mate (cert. RS fork seller) said he would change the inners to coil for €50 if i wanted. he’s done the same because you can’t get coil lyriks with 1.5 steerer.

but i think i’d rather have the zero faff height adjustment of the 2-step and weight saving of air sprung.

after two ‘rides'(1/2 hour sprint up the hill then back down) all i’ve done is play with the air pressure and rebound. i can’t yet talk of their durability.

another thing…. i bought these in the UK but am now in Germany. will that be a prob should these forks start playing silly buggers? german importer has no responsibility, that right?

cheers for you time…

ianpv
    Free Member

Just follow the servicing intervals and you should be ok I imagine. Once every 15 hours of riding i think which is a bit of a ballache but worth it if you have expensive forks

Well, my forks pictured above have been serviced twice in 20 hours of use, and they’re still knackered, so I wouldn’t count on being ok if you service every 15 hours. This damage occurred in one ride as far as I can tell…

alpin
    Free Member

ianpv – your forks 2-step?

is TF tuned only in UK?

DickBarton

Mr PV – good grief man – £800 on a pair of forks? You can buy a whole bike for that laddie!

Hope it gets sorted quickly…have you got any documented report from TFTuned about the state of them and what needed to be done? Suspect a call to Citizen’s Advice might also be in order just so you know where you stand…also any documentation from Fisher?

Enjoy Scotland – where you heading?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

alpin, TF are based in England, but I’m sure he would square you away from wherever in the world you are..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘modern forks are rubbish…’ is closed to new replies.