Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 505 total)
  • "Modern cars are too powerful for UK roads"
  • moshimonster
    Free Member

Yeah but to be fair “any fool” is likely to be 40+ (maybe even higher) and probably a medical consultant/barrister/CEO with a family etc etc and might have a modicum of sense.

Well that was kind of my point really. But plenty of rich kids about too you know. It’s just the sort of car that might appeal to a Premiership footy player or city dealer for example.

agent007
    Free Member

Whilst we’re referring to power and safety the biggest cause of accidents by far (65%) is not speed or speeding but “driver error or reaction”

See HERE

So inadequate training/skill or poor observation are far biggest problem on our roads. Those of you who like to rubbish the benefits that advanced driver training an observation skills can bring are clearly barking up the wrong tree, much like the government. The message shouldn’t be so much ‘speed kills’, rather that having poor skills, poor judgement and poor observation kills.

molgrips
    Free Member

The safety charity Brake! said “Wah Wah Wah! Fast cars are bad!” Lucky then that a “slow” car has never killed anyone

Not much of an argument. Why not just tell us all you don’t give a shit and would rather have fun at someone else’s expense and leave it there?

Lifer
    Free Member

richmtb – Member

Good to see the bedwetters are out in force again.

That Daily Mail article is brilliant. “Faster than a Ferrari”

I’m pretty sure my humble SEAT is faster than a Ferrari too, a 246 Dino for example

“Can do 190mph” Yeah if you get two optional upgrades the standard one does 155mph

The safety charity Brake! said “Wah Wah Wah! Fast cars are bad!” Lucky then that a “slow” car has never killed anyone

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jorJh8DTMVM[/video]

olddog

What are you suggesting anyway? – a car that can barely reach 100 mph flat out on the rev limiter in top gear or just an artificial 100 mph limiter? The former would be a tiresome thing to drive any distance, the latter would be okay actually until you wanted to do a track day in it.

I doubt my van would get anywhere near 100mph – but it’s fine at motorway speeds and once you recalibrate your brain to slower acceleration it’s fine on any road. I’m not advocating that every car has the performance of a Trafic, but beyond a fairly conservative level it becomes just a sales tool. Mrs OD’s 1.4TSI accelerates well enough and overtakes fine, no need for anything more for us. Maybe I’m just getting old as we both drove more powerful vehicles in the past.

Lifer
    Free Member

agent007 – Member

Whilst we’re referring to power and safety the biggest cause of accidents by far (65%) is not speed or speeding but “driver error or reaction”

And speed makes the result of these errors worse.

yunki
    Free Member

Lifer
    Free Member

Poop poop!

molgrips
    Free Member

From your link Agent007:

Topping the charge sheet is failing to look properly (the Smidsy factor – “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you

Surely going more slowly would increase the chances of seeing someone? Fact is, whatever you are doing wrong, more speed makes it worse.

On the very same page half way down is a link to an article titled “Why 20mph limits save lives”. So perhaps speed is a factor after all? That article says this:

The speed illusion works like this: everyone gauges the speed of an approaching object by assessing how quickly its image gets larger, its “looming rate”, and everyone has a threshold in their ability to detect it.

But, alarmingly, the faster a car is going, the lower its “looming” rate can appear

So even in normal situations fast moving cars make it harder to judge speed and space EVEN IF everyone is watching out – which is something I’ve said on here for ages.

The message shouldn’t be so much ‘speed kills’, rather that having poor skills and poor observation kills.

I agree with that. Government campaign should be “watch what the **** you’re doing”

moshimonster
    Free Member

and they do have that artificial limiter. it’s just set at 155 or thereabouts on cars that have sufficient engine capability to reach that point.

Exactly, a 155 mph limiter would not bother me in the slightest. I could even live with a 120 mph limiter no problem and even a 100 mph limiter for everyday use. You don’t generally buy any powerful road going sports car for its max speed, you buy it for its overall performance and fun factor. A high max speed is really just a by-product of that performance. Even a modern aerodynamically efficient boring Eurobox can easily exceed 100 mph. Even a 1980s Ford Cortina can just about get up there.

So trying to argue that 100 mph cars are totally pointless is like trying to argue that pretty much all cars are pointless.

jimjam
    Free Member

moshimonster .

Well that was kind of my point really. But plenty of rich kids about too you know. It’s just the sort of car that might appeal to a Premiership footy player or city dealer for example.

Well since you mention Footballers, a lad who lives near where I grew up up plays in the Football league and has a thing for cars. He’s had Aventadors, F430s, Bentley Continental GTs, Cayenne Turbos ….you get the idea. He’s managed to crash almost all of them without fail, and strangely enough he’s done so without injury.

His mum and sister were chatting to my dad a while back and they asked what he thought of his latest purchase (I think it was a C63 AMG Black edition) to which my dad replied I think he would have been better buying some ****ing driving lessons before he kills himself. Apparently this offended them greatly 😐

wilburt
    Free Member

Would I want to join the A14 from one of the many short slip

Never worked out why Suffolk drivers are incapable of using slip roads that would be perfectly adequate elswhere.

The point about cars being capable in general driving conditions would by default have high top speeds is twaddle that could easily be engineered and speed limits substantially above 100mph are sufficiently rare to be insignificant.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/are-you-driving-an-accident-prone-car

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/revealed-makes-car-more-likely-2497973

I’m not seeing any ‘powerful’ cars in those links. The age of the driver seems to be the biggest factor.

digga
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

TBF on an A road collision, whether it’s 60mph with 120mph closing speed) or one tit is doing 90mph whilst reading a text, giving 150mpg closing speed, the carnage is barely survivable either way.

Hmm. Not a very good argument. There’s over half as much energy again in the second example – enough to make a difference. But you’ve not mentioned that the 90mph has less time to take evasive action when he finally notices he’s veering out of his lane. Plus every time he glances down at his phone he has travelled 50% further without lookin at the road.[/quote]Neither impact, (despite what we see in F1 with 5-point harnesses, crash helmets, neck braces and carbon fibre tubs) is likely to be without severe if not fatal injury for both parties.

In the case of the errant driver, your not dealing with the root cause by dealing with speed. the difficulty is that certain types of driving are dangerous at any speed.

I’ve had a head-on into a tyre wall on a hillcimb, probably only 30mph maximum closing speed, with 3-point race harness etc., and it really shakes you up.

molgrips – Member

No one ‘likes’ crashes, but the risk is a non-negotiable fact of motion.

What a bizarre thing to say. The risk of a crash is lower if speeds are lower, of course it is![/quote]If we all stay at home, not will will crash, but we’re dealing with reality here.

molgrips
    Free Member

we all stay at home, not will will crash, but we’re dealing with reality here.

Yes and in reality 60mph is plenty fast enough.

the difficulty is that certain types of driving are dangerous at any speed

Of course, but if you are being dangerous it’s better to be doing it slower. Of course it’s better not to be dangerous at all, and that needs to be part of driver education too.

agent007
    Free Member

Surely going more slowly would increase the chances of seeing someone?

Not necessarily, there have been studies done that show that the faster someone travels, the more they tend concentrate and the sharper their reaction become.

Fact is, whatever you are doing wrong, more speed makes it worse

If you’re talking about the result of an accident then normally yes, but if you’re talking about avoiding that accident in the first place then maybe in many situations yes, in plenty of other situations then no. But regardless I’d far rather get into a car with an observant, skilled driver driving above the posted limit, than a low skilled, unobservant dawdler driving at well below the limit.

jimjam
    Free Member

torsoinalake – Member

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/are-you-driving-an-accident-prone-car

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/revealed-makes-car-more-likely-2497973

I’m not seeing any ‘powerful’ cars in those links. The age of the driver seems to be the biggest factor.

Lowest claim rates

Which cars were least likely to be involved in accident claims?

hovering around the 1 per cent claims-rate mark were Nissan’s Skyline, the Ford Focus RS

moshimonster
    Free Member

The point about cars being capable in general driving conditions would by default have high top speeds is twaddle

No it isn’t. I can’t think of a single modern car I would want to drive for pleasure (not just get from A-B) that can’t top 100 mph. Examples please?

P-Jay
    Free Member

“130mph when the road was empty meant she caught her flight, by the skin of her teeth – 100mph wouldn’t have done it.”

as i said in the other thread – id like to see you defend that position in court.

Thankfully despite speeding at least a little bit pretty much every time I drive, I’ve never had an accident and never been prosecuted for speeding in 15 years of driving.

If I’m ever caught I’ll fess up and throw myself at the mercy of the court – what else can you do? It’s certainly a factor in my risk to reward thought process.

digga
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

we all stay at home, not will will crash, but we’re dealing with reality here.

Yes and in reality 60mph is plenty fast enough.[/quote]On our narrow, bumpy, potholed and cross-cambered A roads, for sure.

I tend to think there is a suspension of disbelief with many road users – they think they cannot die or be seriously injured. I drive knowing I and other road users most certainly can – cross the median of the road only when 100% safe, legal and necessary to do so and drive to what you can see.

wilburt
    Free Member

No it isn’t. I can’t think of a single modern car I would want to drive for pleasure (not just get from A-B) that can’t top 100 mph. Examples please

There would be plenty if a 100mph limit was in force.

But I think the concept of driving for pleasure is perhaps more of a problem.

olddog

… on a slight tangent – what do you all feel about automatic driving systems (or whatever they are called) becoming options on cars. If auto-braking and the like become increasingly common and self driving cars possible in 20 years if you believe google, then does that change the discussion?

molgrips
    Free Member

No it isn’t. I can’t think of a single modern car I would want to drive for pleasure (not just get from A-B) that can’t top 100 mph. Examples please?

So if, say, you found yourself in Dublin with a hired 3cyl Clio and a nice afternoon to kill, you would NOT drive up into the Wicklow mts simply for pleasure?

Speed is the ONLY thing you enjoy about driving?

mark90
    Free Member

Polaris Razor 😀

michaelbowden

molgrips – Member

So if, say, you found yourself in Dublin with a hired 3cyl Clio and a nice afternoon to kill, you would NOT drive up into the Wicklow mts simply for pleasure?

Speed is the ONLY thing you enjoy about driving?

I might drive up to the mountains for the pleasure of the mountains and views they offer in said Clio, BUT I sure as hell wouldn’t for just the pleasure of driving, because there’d be none in said Clio.

And no it’s not ‘ONLY’ about the speed, its about the joy of driving a nice car, be it fast or slow.

moshimonster
    Free Member

They would just have artificial limiters like a lot of high performance cars already do (usually set at 155 mph). What they wouldn’t have is less power because pretty much nobody buys a car purely for its top speed. Nobody reduces the power on their supercar because it’s artificially limited to 155 mph.

stumpy01

wilburt – Member

Would I want to join the A14 from one of the many short slip

Never worked out why Suffolk drivers are incapable of using slip roads that would be perfectly adequate elswhere.

🙄

Hardly ever use the Suffolk stretch of the A14, so can’t really comment.

I’m talking about the stretch between Dry Drayton & Huntingdon in that there Cambridgeshire where there are numerous short slip roads.

The slip roads from Bar Hill going west, Cambridge services going in both directions, the ‘slip road’ at Conington, St Ives is OK but not great, the ‘slip road’ going eastbound joining from Hemingford Grey, slip road from Hemingford Abbots……

I’ve used most of them and while they are usable – it’s a lot easier to join (particularly in rush hour) in a car with a bit of oomph….especially at rush hour when both lanes are full and the HGVs aren’t slowing down for anyone.

wilburt
    Free Member

on a slight tangent – what do you all feel about automatic driving systems (or whatever they are called) becoming options on cars. If auto-braking and the like become increasingly common and self driving cars possible in 20 years if you believe google, then does that change the discussion?

I love active cruise now and there is good reason to think cars, roads, houses, you and loads of other stuff will all be connected much sooner than 20 years and much smarter than they are now.

michaelbowden

moshimonster – Member

They would just have artificial limiters like a lot of high performance cars already do (usually set at 155 mph). What they wouldn’t have is less power because pretty much nobody buys a car purely for its top speed. Nobody reduces the power on their supercar because it’s artificially limited to 155 mph.

Exactly!

moshimonster
    Free Member

Well put it this way last time I was up in the wilds of Scotland I was driving our Volvo V50 and wishing I was in the 911 instead. Sometimes I drive just for the sake of driving (because believe it or not some people actually enjoy driving) and sometimes I’m just going somewhere.

moshimonster
    Free Member

why?

olddog

moshimonster – Member

why?
    [/quote]

I think that is the unbridgeable divide in this discussion…

agent007
    Free Member

olddog – Member

moshimonster – Member

why?

People generally tend to enjoy doing stuff that they’re good at – so this might explain it to some degree.

brooess
    Free Member

If I’m ever caught I’ll fess up and throw myself at the mercy of the court – what else can you do?

Doesn’t take this into account:

I tend to think there is a suspension of disbelief with many road users – they think they cannot die or be seriously injured.

It’s noticeable how differently people approach risk when they rock climb and skydive – there’s nothing like the same level of nonchalance about the risks and dangers and an awful lot less over-confidence and unjustified self-belief.

The whole culture around danger is noticeably very different and people who don’t understand or want to understand the risk to themselves and others are dealt with pretty quickly… whereas when it comes to driving, at personal, community and government level the whole attitude just seems to be accepting of death and injury as some kind of theoretical risk or acceptable collateral damage.

richmtb

Not much of an argument. Why not just tell us all you don’t give a shit and would rather have fun at someone else’s expense and leave it there?

It’s Brake! who don’t have an argument. They are pontificating about a cars potential for speed while ignoring the fact that it would be safer than the majority of cars when driven at normal road speeds.

michaelbowden

agent007 – Member

olddog – Member

moshimonster – Member

why?

People generally tend to enjoy doing stuff that they’re good at – so this might explain it to some degree.

That doesn’t explain a large number of the people I see cycling (insert any pastime) for pleasure!

moshimonster
    Free Member

I love active cruise now

It’s good when it’s working, but what about when it fails and you’re not ready for it? The problem with this kind of tech on a car is that, unlike commercial aircraft, there are no strict laws on vehicle servicing schedules. So when your car with active cruise control and whatever other electronic driver nannies is say 10 years old with 150K miles on the clock, what do you think might happen when those systems start failing? The more sophisticated these devices become and the more they take away the human element of control, the more likely there will be big accidents when they eventually fail. The self-driving Google car is perhaps the ultimate example of this. Great until it malfunctions and nonchalantly drives you off a cliff or into oncoming traffic. The kind of thing humans are actually quite good at avoiding.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Right, here goes, attempt No 2

a-ha-hem

‘I’m not sure what’s going to blow first:

my sanctimonometer or my bravadotron’

Thank you for your patience.

brooess
    Free Member

Right, here goes, attempt No 2

a-ha-hem

‘I’m not sure what’s going to blow first:

my sanctimonometer or my bravadotron’

Thank you for your patience.

Which actually, sums up attitudes to the risk, danger and collateral damage of driving quite nicely!

Northwind

moshimonster – Member

It’s good when it’s working, but what about when it fails and you’re not ready for it?

You just drive the car? It’s not an autopilot, it’s just a driving aid, all that happens if it fails is you’re driving unassisted again.

Once you start getting into the really advanced future stuff, you just have to weigh up costs and benefits- maybe a self driving car drives off a cliff once every ten years but how many lives does it save in the meantime? No different to, say, ABS brakes in that regard.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘"Modern cars are too powerful for UK roads"’ is closed to new replies.