Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 505 total)
  • "Modern cars are too powerful for UK roads"
  • andytherocketeer

wow – molgrips and me are agreeing…..

if hora agrees also the forum might fall over and the servers explode
    ahh so that was the reason I couldn’t get on earlier.

anyway, after WW3 and the break up of the EU, those who survive will be able to qualify for a Saving Stamps book and buy a new millenium Trabant.

digga
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    In my mind, inattentive and ‘lazy’ (distracted, non- present, non-thinking) driving is worse than actual speed,
    Yes but being inattentive and distracted in a fast car leads to not watching speed, which means you end up being inattentive and distracted at 90mph. Very easy to let speed creep up if you are not watching, which is a double-edged sword.

TBF on an A road collision, whether it’s 60mph with 120mph closing speed) or one tit is doing 90mph whilst reading a text, giving 150mpg closing speed, the carnage is barely survivable either way.

My commute involves fast, narrow A roads and I have seen a lot of near misses, know of at least one two-way fatal and all are head-ons. If people cross the median, all bets are off. I’ve also seen a few non-fatals which were (kids mostly) going a bit hard, but even those would likely be avoidable at the same speed with better drivers.

Cougar

Even 200 Mph Cars Are technically capable of being driven at 70mph, it’s the Brain / Software That lets it all down…

By that argument, 200 Mph Cars Are technically capable of being driven at 200mph, it’s the Brain / Software That lets it all down…

As anyone explained why they need a car that can do over 100mph yet?

No-one needs a car that can do over a hundred (emergency services notwithstanding). Plenty of people want them, though.

Focusing on “top speed” is missing the point I think. No-one really cares about top speed, it’s just a side effect that cars with better acceleration and handling tend to have higher top speeds (and a marketing ploy).

simon_g

Because a car that accelerate swiftly enough down a sliproad to join a motorway at a sensible speed, and that will cruise comfortably at 70, will inevitably do 100+ as a consequence.

andytherocketeer

giving 150mpg

that’s pretty good economy

brooess
    Free Member

Another angle to take is whether modern cars are too powerful for the skills of the average driver?

legend
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

would max out down the straights otherwise

andytherocketeer

and 70 is only the highest UK limit. rest of EU have various other higher ones, and realistically any car made for the European market is going to be specced basically the same.

so the German market.

and is indeed, exactly what the UK has.

allthegear
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

Just because you can only legally do 70mph in the UK doesn’t mean that applies everywhere – if I want to travel across Germany, maybe I would want to go a little faster?

edit – snap!

Rachel

spectabilis
    Free Member

lazybike – Member

Modern cars are more controllable than ever before, ESP (insert whatever it says on your dash here, they’re all the same) makes them virtually impossible to ‘lose’ unless you’re driving like a complete moron.

Maybe thats the problem, do away with the gizmos that control the car, and the avg driver, of which I am one..would be lucky to get off the forecourt, people would avoid powerful cars that they can’t control..[/quote]

This ^.
    today’s cars have so much tech the driver becomes disconnected from what’s happening where the wheels meet the road.

aracer
    Free Member

The 1.3 Astra I once owned only did over 100mph because the speedo over-read, yet that comfortably cruised at 70 and didn’t have any problem reaching that to join a motorway on a standard slip-road. Try again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Just because you can only legally do 70mph in the UK doesn’t mean that applies everywhere”

it doesnt even apply all over the uk ….

nor does 60 apply to every inch of every NSL road – but folk seem think that just because the limit is 60 everyone should be doing 60 everywhere. – be it single track or twisty.

i have 68 bhp in the van yet i can do 70 fine and merge join at motorways without issue.

still to date the least stressful to drive vehicle ive had was my land rover – everyone gave it space – would wave it out of junctions in traffic , it only cruised at 55mph – but would do 70 if you watched the temp gauge rising and the fuel gauge plumet but no one seemed to get angry with it or cut it up.

the least stressful place to drive – torridon out of tourist season , everyone was just polite over there regardless of car.

allthegear
    Free Member

You’ll be telling us to slow down for corners soon…

lazybike
    Free Member

I’m not sure the reasons that relevant..Its like not needing 11 or 10 or 9 speed…or suspension or disc brakes..ad infinitum.

agent007
    Free Member

I drive a 4WD car with 430bhp, is it too powerful for the road? Not a bit. It handles the power very well in pretty much any weather and any road conditions. Plenty of opportunities to safely use full power too, particularly in the less congested North.

However, and it’s a big however, does having 400bhp plus make it more fun to drive? Not really. The car is just too capable in most situations and normally a degree of restraint is needed as you can be traveling at license loosing speeds in the blink of an eye.

So whilst I’ve enjoyed the experience, my next car/van etc is going to have around the 200bhp mark maximum. That’s plenty enough to be getting on with, and a good balance between power, fuel efficiency and pace.

One of my most memorable and enjoyable drives recently was in a 100hp works van. Just as much fun making progress on a twisty road in this as if I’d have been driving the day car with over 4 times the power. Also in the van it was rather nice that the fuel gauge didn’t visibly move each time you put your foot down!

So in short, modern cars with lots of power are normally designed to handle this power in a safe and competent manner. However having less power can often be far more fun and a good compromise (the optimum balance) for me would be the 200bhp mark for an average sized car (Golf etc).

jimjam
    Free Member

allthegear
    You’ll be telling us to slow down for corners soon…

Don’t you? I stomp on my brakes good and hard at the merest hint of a corner 🙂

I might need to brake a few more times before I’ve exited the corner too, just in case.

legend
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    The 1.3 Astra I once owned only did over 100mph because the speedo over-read, yet that comfortably cruised at 70 and didn’t have any problem reaching that to join a motorway on a standard slip-road. Try again.

You have no doubt forgotten that it was noisey and struggled to maintain that pace up hills.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Don’t you? I stomp on my brakes good and hard at the merest hint of a corner

I might need to brake a few more times before I’ve exited the corner too, just in case.”

yep im sure ive driven behind you and your mates on the netherly road a few times.

andytherocketeer

sounds like the 1.2l modern polo I had as a rental car a while back.
    sure it could cruise at 70 on the motorway, but had to change down a gear on 60mph A road every time the road slightly inclined.
    goddamn awful clutch too (dual mass flywheel perhaps?)
    and driving round Milton Keynes with its excess of roundabouts was most certainly not fun. just as you get it back up to 40-50 it’s time to brake and do it all over again. shudder to think how it would cope with an actual hill or passengers.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I certainly can’t remember either of those being a problem, so I suppose your suggestion is one possibility.

Edukator
    Free Member

The German motor lobby is one of the strongest in Europe with Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Opel, VW, Audi etc.. using the remaining sections of limit-free autobahn to justify cars that will do 250kmh. Statistics show that each time a section of German autobahn has a limit imposed the death rate goes down. The Greens are calling for 120kmh, I expect to see some kind of overall limit before long.

P-Jay
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

Because sometimes your Wife mistakes “check in time” with “we’re closing the door of the plane time” and you get stuck behind a camper on the twisty bit between Morzine and the motorway to Geneva Airport.

130mph when the road was empty meant she caught her flight, by the skin of her teeth – 100mph wouldn’t have done it.

stumpy01

1.25 Fiesta style has <60bhp, takes 16.4secs to get to 60mph and will only do 94mph. Sounds like what we should all be driving according to some of you lot….

Would I want to join the A14 from one of the many short slip roads in rush hour driving one? No thanks.
    Would I want to load it up with a fortnight of camping gear, two bikes on the roof and drive it to Cornwall? No thanks.
    Would I want to stick 3 other people in it and go any distance in it? No thanks.

I’ll stick to my 130bhp Ibiza diesel menace.
    Pretty sure it’s less dangerous on the A1 at 60mph (on my commute) than the above Fiesta overtaking me at 70mph on the same road……

It’s very little to do with the car and a lot to do with people’s driving skills, patience and attitude to other road users.

moshimonster
    Free Member

I had a conversation with a well known Aussie racing driver a couple of years ago when he turned up in a “standard” 911 Turbo S. Well north of 500 hp with the grip and handling to match. He was genuinely concerned that any fool with £3K per month disposable income could be let loose on the road in one. It is a bit scary when you think of it that way. But to be honest most such cars are actually owned by middle aged fairly sensible types who know their limitations. It’s when the likes of Justin Bieber get in them that things usually get out of hand.

digga
    Free Member

Edukator – Troll
    The German motor lobby is one of the strongest in Europe with Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Opel, VW, Audi etc.. using the remaining sections of limit-free autobahn to justify cars that will do 250kmh. Statistics show that each time a section of German autobahn has a limit imposed the death rate goes down. The Greens are calling for 120kmh, I expect to see some kind of overall limit before long.

You could totally ban alcohol, cigarettes, junks food etc. etc. with the same reasoning and it’d probably make the majority of us less happy overall.

No one ‘likes’ crashes, but the risk is a non-negotiable fact of motion.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I think modern bicycles are too light. Any fool can cycle them really fast.

They should all weigh 40kg and have draggy brakes to limit them to 5MPH, much safer for all concerned.

olddog

I think the epiphany about powerful cars came to me when I was driven around a race track in a road legal Impreza WRX by a professional race driver. It was mind-blowing how fast and capable it (and he) was, the speed at which he could corner was ridiculous and this was almost ten years ago.

That level of capability, both handling and performance, is completely untappable on the road – totally pointless. I get that at any given speed the brakes/handling/safety are better – but I’m not convinced that at anything approaching normal driving speeds the difference between that and a good family hatch in that respect are materially different. And clearly you don’t buy a car with that kind of performance to drive sedately.

Basically I ditched the escalating performance treadmill (I’d a Type-R at the time – and was looking for the next upgrade. I’d already done motorbikes but stopped because I couldn’t be trusted) and got a camper, and now a van. Much more relaxed and it really doesn’t take that much longer to get anywhere

molgrips
    Free Member

TBF on an A road collision, whether it’s 60mph with 120mph closing speed) or one tit is doing 90mph whilst reading a text, giving 150mpg closing speed, the carnage is barely survivable either way.

Hmm. Not a very good argument. There’s over half as much energy again in the second example – enough to make a difference. But you’ve not mentioned that the 90mph has less time to take evasive action when he finally notices he’s veering out of his lane. Plus every time he glances down at his phone he has travelled 50% further without lookin at the road.

No one ‘likes’ crashes, but the risk is a non-negotiable fact of motion.

What a bizarre thing to say. The risk of a crash is lower if speeds are lower, of course it is!

Northwind

OTOH, the same things that project my car to 60 in 8 seconds or thereabouts (yes I know it’s not fast, but it’s quicker a family estate needs to be) also allow it to waft along in 6th at 2000rpm, sipping diesel like a fine wine to be savoured- it’s more economic than any of the lower powered versions of the same car, when driven economically, because it doesn’t have to work as hard to deliver the same power

It’s never gone any faster than my old low powered estate, but it’s a hell of a lot nicer to drive all the time- that’s why I have a relatively powerful car, not to set speed records

cubist – Member

What about the effect power has on overtaking? I can over take in my wifes Clio but its far safer in my 5 series as it does it far quicker despite the difference in weight. That is down to power.

If you need the extra power to make the overtake, then the alternative wasn’t to do it dangerously in the Clio, it was to not overtake at all. There shouldn’t be any impact on safety, only on opportunity.

Edukator
    Free Member

So you manage the risk even if you can’t eliminate it. You tax nasty substances to dissuade people from smoking and drinking, and put speed limits and radars on the roads. Fitting a black box to cars would be even better dissuasion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“130mph when the road was empty meant she caught her flight, by the skin of her teeth – 100mph wouldn’t have done it.”

as i said in the other thread – id like to see you defend that position in court.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah but I owned one of those silly Impreza WRX PPP’s at one time. Was it that car where I picked up my (only) speeding ticket? No, it was the diesel Octavia.

It’s not the car; it’s the idiot driving it that needs to be aware of the situation around them…

Rachel

olddog

… thinking about it, I don’t necessarily think it’s power that is the issue – but the disassociation from the sense of speed (or more so energy) that you get in modern cars. Say a big and heavy 4WD with the performance of a reasonable sports car of 25 years ago – but with a real disconnect between the driver and the sense of speed/power. Combine that with tight UK roads – lots of narrow lanes round where I live – and endless distraction from mobile tech and I think that’s where the problems come.

andytherocketeer

every single accident that I’ve seen on the German autobahns has been in a 120km/h section.
    if they implement a limit it’ll be 130km/h which is what it is in large sections already, and inline with much of mainland EU.
    and even if they did that, most probably wouldn’t notice much difference, since a lot of the average traffic drives that speed anyway.

Cougar

The risk of a crash is lower if speeds are lower, of course it is!

Is it?

The severity of a crash increases exponentially with speed, but does the chance of a crash happening increase as well? Is it not the case that motorways are our safest roads statistically?

If the risk of crashing was relative to speed, motorways would be carnage and some dappy bint wouldn’t have almost severed my achilles tendon with a shopping trolley in Tesco the other week. People are very, very capable of travelling slowly whilst being away with the fairies, believe me; sometimes they’re travelling slowly because of that.

jimjam
    Free Member

moshimonster – Member

I had a conversation with a well known Aussie racing driver a couple of years ago when he turned up in a “standard” 911 Turbo S. Well north of 500 hp with the grip and handling to match. He was genuinely concerned that any fool with £3K per month disposable income could be let loose on the road in one. It is a bit scary when you think of it that way. But to be honest most such cars are actually owned by middle aged fairly sensible types who know their limitations. It’s when the likes of Justin Bieber get in them that things usually get out of hand.

Yeah but to be fair “any fool” is likely to be 40+ (maybe even higher) and probably a medical consultant/barrister/CEO with a family etc etc and might have a modicum of sense.

Everyone knows speed is a factor in rtcs, and everyone knows driver inexperience is a big factor too. The reality is (with the exception of your Justin Biebers and the odd Arab playboy) most young people (vast majority of any people ) can’t afford anything like a 911 Turbo. When you see reports of fatal crashes on the local news or in papers quite often it is young drivers. but more often than not the car on it’s roof or wrapped around a tree is a 1.2 Corsa, or a Fiesta, not a super car or a road legal group n rally car.

olddog –

I think the epiphany about powerful cars came to me when I was driven around a race track in a road legal Impreza WRX by a professional race driver. It was mind-blowing how fast and capable it (and he) was, the speed at which he could corner was ridiculous and this was almost ten years ago.

Again this must be a case of mistaken identity. Every time I’ve driven a WRX I’ve been massively overwhelmed. 210-220bhp, fairly predictable power delivery and not exactly blistering performance. An STI on the other hand, especially one that’s running more boost is a different animal.

richmtb

Good to see the bedwetters are out in force again.

That Daily Mail article is brilliant. “Faster than a Ferrari”

I’m pretty sure my humble SEAT is faster than a Ferrari too, a 246 Dino for example

“Can do 190mph” Yeah if you get two optional upgrades the standard one does 155mph

The safety charity Brake! said “Wah Wah Wah! Fast cars are bad!” Lucky then that a “slow” car has never killed anyone

moshimonster
    Free Member

Because some of them are actually a lot of fun to drive below their max speed. It’s the same argument for motorbikes too.

What are you suggesting anyway? – a car that can barely reach 100 mph flat out on the rev limiter in top gear or just an artificial 100 mph limiter? The former would be a tiresome thing to drive any distance, the latter would be okay actually until you wanted to do a track day in it.

andytherocketeer

and they do have that artificial limiter. it’s just set at 155 or thereabouts on cars that have sufficient engine capability to reach that point.

epicyclo

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    “What is clear though is that they were powerful enough for their purpose 40 years ago. So why are we paying for and needing more power?”
    I dunno about some of the examples posted in this thread, but there’s no way on gods green earth that a lot of cars from the 70’s and earlier ever made their quoted power.

It doesn’t matter what their actual output was, they were fast enough to get the job done.

Maybe folk should have to do a couple of years on big motorbikes first. It would cull the idiots with less chance of them terminating a car full of mates or an oncoming family. I think motorcyclists become more aware drivers.

Edit: Och, I’m sounding pious. I was an idiot on a motorbike for quite a number of years, and also wrecked a few cars. Which is why I bought a Volvo a few weeks ago instead of something like that nice Corvette which was featured in one of the threads here. I ain’t good enough to use it properly, and being over-carred isn’t a good look.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘"Modern cars are too powerful for UK roads"’ is closed to new replies.