Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Modding SPD-SL cleats to sit further back
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Can this be done at all? After a year or so of using mtb spds on the road bike I decided to try SPD-SL. The left one feels great (as does the added stiffness of the road shoe soles) but my right foot cramps up quite easily as the cleat doesn’t feel far enough back and feels too much like I’m on my toes. So is there any way I can get it further back (some kind of adapter plate?) without resorting to buying new shoes and hoping they go further back?

Could just go back to my mtb ones but they’re a bit creaky and I prefer the stiffer soles of the roadie shoes.

damitamit
    Free Member

Drill new holes in your shoes?

_tom_
    Free Member

If it were easy to fit new thread inserts thatd probably work I guess!

eyerideit
    Free Member

Maybe the shoes are too small.

I bought some road shoes in 42 and they were good on the right but not on the left foot.

Exchanged them for 43’s and the left is better but the right is loose. Shame they didn’t come in half sizes as that would have been perfect.

_tom_
    Free Member

They’re the same size as my specialized mtb shoes and feel comfy. Theyre the dhb ones btw, anyone else hadthis problem with em?

joshvegas
    Free Member

The number might be the same but thats no indication they actually are the same size!

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah true, I reckon if they were any bigger theyd slip off though. They feel about right to me anyway.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think Specialized road shoes have the cleat holes quite far forward. Giro and Shimano RO87 shoes, they are quite far rearward if you are going to get new shoes. Do you have good insoles? Also, could one of your feet be a different size to the other.

_tom_
    Free Member

I dont have any insoles, just using them as they came out the box.. Thanks for the shoe suggestions, looks like I may have to get some new ones. Its possible my feet are slightly different but never noticed it with other non bike shoes.

swampi
    Free Member

if you get some speed play pedals they do extra fore/aft adapter plates for this purpose

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Modding SPD-SL cleats to sit further back’ is closed to new replies.