Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • modding a cable stop frame for full enclosure shift outers?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

A mate mentioned the possibility of doing this with a drill (carefully) – simply buzz out the ‘cap end’ that is meant to stop the outer and let you keep a tight inner on a frame with exposed sections of run.

After the muddiest ride for some time on Monday this is sounding less insane.

Is it a good idea for the frame though? (Will I die?)

robdob
    Free Member

Did it on my DMR before painting. Cut end off cable stop before filing smooth.

40mpg

Have done this on my Giant Trance as the gear cables kept seizing. I haven’t died, and have working gears.

Best to get a small circular file too to get in there and get any burrs off. (Its a bloody awkward angle to drill out without grinding the drill against the frame).

40mpg

^^cutting the end off is probably a much better idea!!

vincienup
    Free Member

Cool. This is what I was wanting to hear! 🙂

Best tool for cutting? Old reliable hacksaw or worth something more Dremel like? The two frames I have in mind are Aluminium (will do this onr first!) and 853…

ljs1977
    Free Member

Don’t bother, best £3 I ever spent on my old Cube.

Waterproof kit

garage-dweller

Drilling them is awkward. the ends on my schwinn were thick and hard as nails to drill through. Ended up doing a fair bit with a warding file because it was small and easier to get round the head and seat tube.

You want a nice small drill to get close in or a very long bit to bring the angle of attack down while holding the drill further away.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I did this to a frame once, it sounds easy but is actually quite hard to do without **** the paint up. Not that I’d know because I put some massive gouges into it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Didn’t they used to make adapters for putting disk brake hoses in cable brake bosses? See if you can find some of those perhaps?

takisawa2

Put a jubilee clip around the frame & get the hacksaw out man.

stayhigh

What do you need a jubilee clip for?

Andy-R

So that you don’t damage the frame if the hacksaw slips……

andysredmini
    Free Member

http://www.driftcycles.co.uk/bbb-hydroclamp-hydraulic-hose-guides-x2.html

These would be the off the shelf solution . I use them on my trance for my reverb hose but they run on the underside of the tubes. You may not like the look of them on the top of the top tube on your frame.

Andy

stayhigh

Ah, good thinking.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘modding a cable stop frame for full enclosure shift outers?’ is closed to new replies.