Viewing 9 posts - 121 through 129 (of 129 total)
  • Mobile Speed Cameras and Overtaking
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

Lifer – Member
    martinxyz – Member
    To be honest,if I was in this position and I had filmed the drive within the speed limits,I’d go to jail before accepting any fine. Just to show them up. I would never pay that fine.

Yeah! That would show them.

Somehow?

Someone with a clip showing their own driving at the speed limit the whole journey, then later on in the clip it shows the driver overtaking the vehicle that’s been averaging 45mph and hitting 68mph (we’ll say 68 just to be in the danger zone of a penalty) partly due to other peoples actions? Yes,I know at the end of it all I’d have broken the limit and it was my foot on the pedal but reviewing the circumstances.. It would be pretty lame for them to do this after seeing the footage wouldn’t you think?

If you read the 4th paragraph of the original post,peter explained that after waiting for others to make a move.. they didn’t so he decided to overtake. After making his move the others had increased their speed. If the clip showed the speeds of around 45mph for the past five miles or so.. and the change in speed by the other drivers and the possible danger up ahead meant I had to increase my speed over the limit after starting the manoeuvre I would ask them to consider the charge against my actions. If,after driving around 15mph under the speed limit,this choice and outcome still wasn’t acceptable I would seriously consider not paying any fine.

It’s just a thought. The clip getting out on the net for all to watch along with the story of a driver not willing to pay the fine or accept the charge for the above minor incident.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m reading this with some chagrin as I think I’m in line for a ticket from a fixed camera which I knew was there…

Driving to Aberdeen on Friday, I came to a 50mph section of the dual carriageway where I knew there was a speed camera. The lorry in front of me was doing about 40, so I moved into the outside lane and started to overtake at just under 50.

Half way past him, he starts indicating out to the right – I speeded up a little, (thinking of that video of all the blind spots a lorry driver has) but he started to pull into my lane, forcing me almost into the central reservation.

So I put my foot down, despite almost being at the camera. I did get past safely and looked in my mirror to see the lorry suddenly swerve back into the inside lane as he saw me. Unfortunately for me, I went through the camera deccelerating from over 60.

Sucks to be me 🙁

CountZero

User, if that was filmed, I’d be prepared to go to court to argue that going over the speed limit at that point was preferable to being crushed against the central reservation. Common sense ought to prevail there.

Cougar

Playing devil’s advocate,

a) you should’ve braked rather than sped up,
    b) you could’ve sounded your horn,
    c) you perhaps should’ve anticipated it.

But in that situation, I’d probably have done much the the same. I’d definitely have leant on the horn though, that’s what it’s for.

user-removed
    Free Member

Count – I have no faith in common sense when it comes to traffic enforcement. I read last year of a case where two drivers had to go through a red light (they had been stationary) to allow an ambulance through. They were both ticketed despite the situation.

Cougar – lots of fair points there…

a) I agree that braking would have been the sensible thing to do – I just couldn’t believe that he hadn’t seen me, so blithely carried on. In my defense, I was (dimly) aware there was another car bringing up the rear in the outside lane, although I had no idea how far behind he was so braking might, or might not, have compounded the problem…

b) Yes, I should have hit the horn, but mild panic got the better of me.

c) Well this is the weird bit. There was a junction on the left and if a vehicle had been trying to join the dual carriageway I could understand why the lorry might courteously pull into the outer lane. But it was a very wide, open junction with a good view back down the adjoining road. When I started overtaking, there was absolutely, posi-tive-ly nothing approaching, and after the manoeuvre, there was still nothing there. So I really have no clue why the lorry wanted to shift lanes – no upcoming right turns, no tractors in the inside lane – nothing!

I suppose it was a typical human reaction – fight or flight with a lorry and a car? Stick yer foot doon…

radoggair
    Free Member

I know that stretch very well, on my way up to 10 UTB in May that same thing happened, sitting behind slower traffic so when the straight appeared i gunned it. Must of been doing 80+ going past the camera van but have not heard anything to this day. So either

A/ I was doing around 70ish when he was focussing on me and let me off or

B/ i was beside the cars all the way past so he never actually got my reg plate or

C/ He was having a sleep in the back and missed me

Either way, no penalty received. Hope and wait my friend , hope and wait

stevie750

I used to drive glasgow to skye twice a month, It didn’t take me long to work out that overtaking every slow moving car only made a difference of about 15 minutes compared to just waiting behind them, but I got there a lot more relaxed and with a lot more petrol in the tank.

Th A82 is always busy, it just gets busier with camper vans and caravans in the summer.

The glencoe stretch is the worst, the amount of times I have come round a corner to be presented with a car parked on the road and the occupants stood round taking pictures.

peterfile
    Free Member

3 weeks later – no ticket 🙂

What a lovely feeling!

peterfile

Absolutely no promises here, but the guy who operates that camera van says that when he sees cars overtaking he doesn’t ping them when they’re doing so. If they pull back in and don’t return to the speed limit straight away, he considers them fair game, but if they do, he leaves them.

That’s what he told me, so fingers crossed!

Thanks thegreatape 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Viewing 9 posts - 121 through 129 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Speed Cameras and Overtaking’ is closed to new replies.