Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mobile signal boosters
  • mikejd

Living in a rural location we have a poor signal for O2 and Vodaphone. I am looking at signal boosters to install in the house. Basically an outdoor aerial, a booster unit and an indoor aerial. Lots available on the web.

However, I am concerned over issues of licencing. Most of these websites suggest these units can be used legally but some say licencing is the responsibilty of the user. Google shows that Offcom says they are not legal and cannot be licenced. A friend has one and thinks it is not an issue in rural areas but probably is in an urban environment.

Anybody here using one? or have experience?

iolo
    Free Member

For O2 just install TUgo. It uses the wifi in your house as a signal transmitter.
    It works great when your abroad too as you don’t get roaming fees and can use your inclusive minutes.

gobuchul
    Free Member

For Vodafone I use a Sure Signal

Plugs into your wifi router and uses your internet connection for calls etc.

Works well.

youngrob

+1 for SureSignal. I’ve had it for years with no problems gives me 3.5G in the house.

ElShalimo

We have a Three Home Signal box that connects to the router. All calls and text messages go out via WiFi
    It is good but does drop frequently. Three now have an app which is better cos it does the same thing but using any WiFi connection so it works in the office etc
    All of which is useful cos the Three signal is awful at work and woeful at home

brassneck

For Vodafone I use a Sure Signal

I would to if they didn’t charge £99 for it. Seems a bit mean to charge for something they will make money out of one way or another. Most ISPs give you a router these days, I think the mobile telcos are missing out on a trick.

cranberry
    Free Member

I seem to recall if Vodafone tell you that there is a signal at your property and there isn^t then you can get a Sure Signal out of them for free.

iolo
    Free Member

I think the mobile telcos are missing out on a trick.

That’s why some providers have developed apps so you can connect to any wifi signal. Anywhere in the world. No need for additional expensive whatever’s.

norbert-colon

From what I remember when I researched the same thing :- The signal booster thingies are definitely not legal as in effect by using them you are creating a mini ‘cell’ and therefore would need a mobile operators licence according to Ofcom – which you can’t have as you aren’t a mobile operator.

The weird state of affairs is that they are not illegal to sell but they are illegal to use – hence the number of them that you see on the web. So a non starter if you want to stay legal. (whether anyone has been prosecuted for using one I have no idea)

However the various options of boxes/apps to call out using your internet connection work pretty well, on the proviso that you have a reasonable internet connection in the first place.

I use the Tugo app thingy from O2 and it works reasonably well, but I do have a decent (fibre broadband) internet connection. Not tried it on a slower link.

Have you looked at EE coverage – in my experience it is often better in areas where O2/Voda aren’t any good?

norbert-colon

PS O2 charge even more for their box that is the equivalent of the Vodafone sure signal. However now that you can use TuGo, there’s no need to have one of those.

footflaps

From what I remember when I researched the same thing :- The signal booster thingies are definitely not legal as in effect by using them you are creating a mini ‘cell’ and therefore would need a mobile operators licence according to Ofcom – which you can’t have as you aren’t a mobile operator.

The weird state of affairs is that they are not illegal to sell but they are illegal to use – hence the number of them that you see on the web. So a non starter if you want to stay legal. (whether anyone has been prosecuted for using one I have no idea)

Correct and I don’t know of any prosecutions. They’d be near impossible to detect.

They are popular in the US as there you own the spectrum inside your property and not the FCC / MNO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mobile signal boosters’ is closed to new replies.