Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mobile phones..contract expired so what's the best PAYG deal
  • rockhopper70

My 14yo daughter has had a 2 yr contract with carphone warehouse (talk talk). For £7.50 per month, it included 5000 texts, 120 mins of talk time and 500mb of data.
    I’m sure she doesn’t use anywhere near that allowance and this is confirmed with the bill angel app.
    Looking to see what the options are and the rep at CPW told us that a PAYG would eat into the credit through data roaming.
    I presume this could be switched off so that would just leave texts and calls to pay for.
    She is wanting to use whatsapp ( a subject of an altogether differant) conversation to be had, but this would allow free messaging when in wifi, and we are in bt so she would be able to use hotspots.
    I expect the rep does want to make a sale for another 24 month contract but that doesn’t seem wholly unreasonable and for £8.50 per month, a similar allowance could be had, with a shiny new phone.
    So, to cut to the chase, would the PAYG be better value and what network/deal would be recommended?

Thanks

ampthill

Its worth giving 3 PAYG a try. If its oricey after a month get another contract

For me it seems to be the cheapest by far. You don’t have the ridiculous buy x minutes for £y but it expires in 1 month. These deals all seem to need £10 a month top up which is then more than a cheap contract

Any way with 3 its 1p a MB. 2p a text and 3p a minute. I’m under Wi Fi most of the time but I never shy away from downloading a map or checking Facebook on 3G as its only a few pence each time. The data here is cheap enough for whatsapp to undercut texting. I think I’ve spent about £50 in a year.

properbikeco
    Free Member

you can get a similar deal on a monthly basis from talkmobile for £7 per month

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use the 3 PAYG (3,2,1)that’s just that. No need to monthly pay anything. I doubt I use a tenner in 6 months.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

another 3 (321) user here. as above, as it’s so easy to take your number with you, it’s worth trying out for a few months. If she does loads of anything ie texting etc, then it might not be the one to go for, but it’s excellent for low users who also spend most times with access to wifi.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Best to choose based on which network gives you the best signal in the area you live and spend most of your time in. No point being on the cheapest deal if you can’t get a signal. I’m on GiffGaff and its brilliant. Dirt cheap, fantastic coverage where I am, really good 3G signal so internet use is a pleasure, so if you get a good signal on the O2 network where you are then I would recommend them.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I had the same situation, after 2 years of rubbish reception from Talkmobile I went to T.mobile PAYG. If you keep at least £10 in your account it will automatically add a package once a month. This gives me 100 minutes, 200 texts and 500mb data which is plenty for me.I assume you mean ordinary data not data roaming which is expensive abroad. i don’t intend being locked into a long contract again. If it works you could possibly move to a monthly contract.

brassneck

I’d go with GiffGaff if I had O2 where I lived.

Stuck with Vodafone, though the employee advantage programme will help finance an iPhone 6 shortly, the only bonus I can think of at the moment.

rocketman
    Free Member

Three PAYG here

3p/min voice, 2p/text, 1p/MB data

Can top up with £15 and convert it into an add-on which gives 300 mins/3000 texts/unlimited data for one month

3G but switches to 4G when available

ourmaninthenorth

Have a look at the EE announcement on the £1 pw PAYG sim only deal announced today.

Linky to news story.

ourmaninthenorth

My 14yo daughter has had a 2 yr contract with carphone warehouse (talk talk).

FWIW it’s Talk Mobile, which is CPW’s brand. Talktalk Mobile is different and currently only available to TalkTalk broadband customers, though they* do have some great propositions….

*we….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mobile phones..contract expired so what's the best PAYG deal’ is closed to new replies.