Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • mobile phone scammers – how do they get away with it???
  • sadexpunk

tuesday i had a text from 'member services' or something. id just upgraded my phone, so was expecting the odd SIM text from orange, so i opened it.

it was from some scamming b*st*rds stating that as id opened the text i had now agreed to subscribe to a ringtone service blah di blah, £2.50 per month etc etc, we'll send you new ringtones blah de blah, text STOP to 82344 if you want to unsubscribe.

i wasnt falling for that one i thought. the STOP text would probably cost a fortune, and i wasnt giving a penny to the t*ssers.

i knocked it off, and thought ill deal with it later. when i went back to the phone, no way could i find it!! not in the inbox, any service info etc >-(

so i rang orange. explained it all, and said that as my contract was with them, that nobody could actually get any of my money unless orange authorised it. so can you just make sure they dont get it please.

ah, not that simple im afraid. if you subscribe to something, we have to pay them when they ask for it.

but i didnt subscribe. all i did was open a text.

you need to ring them then

no chance. i dont need to do ANYTHING. you do!

now, ive just received another text, wrote it all down and phoned orange with their number. 82344.

ah yes, we can see who it is

can you stop it then?

im afraid not. you need to contact them. just send 'STOP ALL' to 82344.

but itll cost me.

nothing we can do about that, sorry.

grrrrrr!!!!! how do they get away with it?? isnt it illegal??? i havent subscribed to anything yet theyll take some of my money and theres nowt i can do about it???

cant i report them to someone? isnt it theft??

i thank you for your patience while i got that off my chest. i feel better now 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

My daughter got her new iPhone

Next day she got a call from someone claiming to be from O2 asking her if she wanted to take insurance out @50% discount
    She agreed & gave them her debit card details – she's now £80 lighter

Apparently places like Car Phone Warehouse buy blocks of phone numbers so these scammers just buy a phone & then ring the numbers close to it in the knowledge that if it's answered, it must be a new phone

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘mobile phone scammers – how do they get away with it???’ is closed to new replies.