Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mobile phone – no signal in house – what to do?
  • sl2000

I've just moved into a house in London SW11, and have no mobile reception in the house unless I stand by a window upstairs. The signal in the street is OK but not great – about 4 bars.

Same problem on Orange and Vodafone so I'm not sure switching contract would help.

Has anyone tried any form of signal booster like these http://www.mobdev.co.uk/acatalog/MX_Series.html? Or any other ideas please.

Houns

Be grateful?

crikey
    Free Member

Taff
    Free Member

Don't know about boosters but you can do call forwarding so if you don't answer it goes through to your house phone… only helps if you have a house phone

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you go to network selection on your phone, and set it to 'manual' rather than automatic network selection, then you can see what networks it is able to pick up inside your house. That way you can work out who to switch to. There are very few places except complete wilderness and underground where you can't get signal on any network, and I'd be pretty surprised if there are any in London.

tron
    Free Member

Suresignal provides a local signal using your broadband. I think Voda are the only people in the UK to have the tech.

hug
    Free Member

I have the same with orange but not vodaphone (so am now on orange & thank the big man for peace 'n' quiet)

Jellybaby
    Free Member

You need a mobile phone thats UMA (unlicensed mobile access) compatible (didnt check out the links so not sure whats there). UMA connects via your wi-fi router from home broadband e.g BT home hub so doesn't use any mobile network.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

I've got a Vodafone sure signal and it's hopeless. They are a pain to set up with a lot of routers / broadband services and the reliability and quality of Vodafone's support can best be fairly described as pi55 poor.

sl2000

Thanks all. @joemarshall good advice – will see what I can pick up. Vodafone thing looks interesting, though possibly not worth switching network for. Both me and my wife need to be call-able at home unfortunately so I think call-forwarding is the easiest way to go. Not yet got a home phone or broadband though.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The Vodafone Sure Signal is the way forward. All the operators will be offering them in the near future. Technically it is called a femtocell, and has huge benefits for the mobile operators. Will give you cheap mobile calls when at home as well as giving you perfect coverage.

Not sure why F-J above has problems. Friend of mine got one, installed it no problem, and it works perfectly.

Tomahawk
    Free Member

Interesting this people….

My dragon has contract with orange that she sought out herself (independence was her downfall) that has no signal in our house or at the stable yard where she works. Being situated in either of these places for the majority of the time has me spitting 'automated' feathers. My Voda is fine and she is desperate to change.

Has anyone canceled a contract due to similar reasons? and what did you payout? I'm thinking that 2 months notice should be sufficient?

molgrips
    Free Member

There are lots of phones that do Wifi voice calling… in one form or another.

Dancake
    Free Member

St up call forwarding to your landline when you are in the house?

edit. Sorry you said that already

Jellybaby
    Free Member

Tomahawk – depends where she is in her contract. If its in first month or just over then where she got the phone from may honour the return of the contract as she cannot use the airtime provided to her. After that she'll be tied into the contract until it ends or if you pay to buy it out. She should be able to lower the talkplan to make it cheaper. Also its 30 days notice to cancel with Orange.

Hope this helps.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Stand by an upstairs window might work

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mobile phone – no signal in house – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.