Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mobile phone insurance
  • bavariangaz
    Free Member

With a few holidays booked over the coming months I think it’s time to insure my phone, being a bit clumsy too I couldn’t afford to buy a new one.
    Does anyone have any experience with phone insurance, who to avoid, or am I best getting insurance through the network provider (EE in my case)??

dooosuk
    Free Member

Mrs has insurance through EE (£8/mth iirc). Was painless when she had to claim for a new screen on a Galaxy S4 at the start of the year.

Do you not have any cover through your bank account? Plenty of banks give travel insurance, phone insurance, breakdown cover etc. with their premium accounts.

muggomagic

Should check with your contents insurance provider if it’s covered for accidental damage and loss.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Check home & contents, bank offers and all that before doing specific insurance. As with everything a specific policy is normally really bad value.

bigyinn
    Free Member

protect your bubble is supposed to pretty good.
    You home contents may already cover you, M&S does.

bavariangaz
    Free Member

Only have basic bank account, it’s £15 a month with halifax to get phone insurance. May pop into EE tomorrow and ask in there. Will also double check my home & contents, though will it cover me if I’m on holiday? In this country and abroad.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

the Mrs had to claim on her phones4u policy recently and they were excellent. Really top service.

rocketman
    Free Member

Very often covered up to £1k by contents insurance along with cameras, laptops tablets etc

dooge
    Free Member

I used to work for a large mobile phone shop and we sold our own insurance. It really depends what you need; some will cover for all scenarios and pay out regardless but is expensive (up to £13.99 a month!) and others are a bit hit and miss. Generally, the larger companies are better (Protect your bubble for example) however make sure you understand the policy. Some wont cover for water damage if it gets wet in a pocket due to rain or moisture as this is seen as negligent use of your phone whereas some wont care. If you say you ‘accidentally’ spilt water on it, different ball game (not promoting fraud)

I sold several insurance policies on the back of ‘my bank refused my claim for this or that’ as the all in one policies are generally a bit naff and cover for few scenarios.

You also have to weigh up do I need this. Are you a clumsy person? Do you break your phone regularly? Could you take cheaper steps to prevent damage/loss/theft? (decent case, not taking it with you, even moving which pocket you keep it in) How much is my phone now worth? If you are paying £8 a month over a year period, you crack your screen, make a claim (£40 excess) thats £136 that you could have saved. Most places will charge £50-100 for a screen replacement for most popular phones.

There is also the case of how much you rely on your phone. Is it a live on work on cant be without it or just an occasional thing? Insurance may be better in that good policies will swap old for new quickly or even offer warranty swaps within 24hrs instead of it taking up to a month to repair.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Leave your expensive phone at home, buy a £9.99 thing from Tesco and buy a local sim card when you get to your destination.

br
    Free Member

Leave your expensive phone at home, buy a £9.99 thing from Tesco and buy a local sim card when you get to your destination.

This.

Or be more careful.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Just been through this: but my Bank – offers a bundle – Gadgets, Family Travel, Breakdown cover and identity theft for £12 a month.

Had a phone and Loch interface and just got my phone back quite simple really.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mobile phone insurance’ is closed to new replies.