Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mobile Phone as (dumb) GPS unit
  • jimmy

Been trying to think this one through and have looked at a couple of options but wondering if anyone uses their phone as a GPS route guide rather than just tracking. I’m doing a longish trip soon, mostly using NCN routes. I don’t want to drain my battery, though, so ideally want something that I can download a map with enough detail, leave it switched off most the time but just use it when needed to navigate the not-so-uncommon poorly signed bits.

Alternative is getting hold of a Garmin device but its something else to charge / buy / beg / steal / borrow.

thepodge
    Free Member

I do this. Happened upon a load of OS / Memory map files so downloaded MMTracker.

I save battery by putting it in flight mode and then switching GPS back on.

jam-bo

i have viewranger on my phone with OS maps loaded. I leave it in my bag and use it for reference.

I also have a garmin watch that does all the tracking stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    medoramas
    Free Member

Phone with Viewranger (with premium OS maps downloaded) and QuadLock mounting system here.

I’ve retired my Garmin since using this little thing.

jimmy

MMTracker & Viewranger, you say…. Will check those out thanks.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Orux maps, free, offline maps, worth a look 🙂

g5604
    Free Member

the big problem I found with using my phone as a gps is when it rains the touch screen goes crazy.

lardman
    Free Member

Same as Jambo and Medoramas here…..
    Viewranger and local OS maps loaded and ready. Quadlock mount to top tube of bike.
    Just turn on when i need it, and look see where i am.

CraigW
    Free Member

I like Maps.Me.
    It is free. You can download maps for the whole country, to use offline. Its based on OpenStreetMap, so fairly detailed for most of the NCN routes etc. It can do autorouting for cycling/walking.

thenorthwind

+ 1 for Viewranger and OS data. Use old phone as dedicated GPS device. No other apps. Flight mode (except when syncing over GPS). Waterproof soft case. One of those elastic silicone bar mount thingies. Buy a spare battery if you’re worried about it running out.

simon1975

Another +1 for basic (Android) phone with ViewRanger with OS maps, in pocket or drybag and get it out when needed – just as I’d do with a paper map. ViewRanger allow you to licence the maps you’ve paid for on up to 4 devices per account.

It’ll make emergency calls without a SIM card, but I have a Three one in mine as the credit on their PAYG doesn’t have a time limit (as long as you actually use it for something every once in a while).

Battery life largely dependent on screen-on time. Mine will track GPS for over 24 hours (in airplane mode) if I don’t keep looking at the screen.

thepodge
    Free Member

Just been looking at Viewranger, is there any way to make the navigation arrow larger? I cant find anything in the settings

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I do this. Happened upon a load of OS / Memory map files so downloaded MMTracker.

I save battery by putting it in flight mode and then switching GPS back on.

+1
    Old HTC Hero lasts about 6 hours in flight mode running MMTracker and using screen intermittently. I connect to a dynamo for longer rides too to keep it going. Only downside is it isn’t waterproof.

canopy
    Free Member

yup viewranger here too. i’m a bit of a planner so don’t need it much

thepodge
    Free Member

Just been messing with ViewRanger, its much more polished than MMTracker and has the benefit of being able to use OpenStreetmap but I think I still prefer MMTracker… I Just need to find some better Anglesey maps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Phone as (dumb) GPS unit’ is closed to new replies.