Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • mobile hot spot questions
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

My android and iOS devices can control my Mac over WiFi. We have no WiFi in the house other than using my phone as a hotspot. Will I use my data plan capacity if I link my tablet to my computer via my phone?

And on a related subject, who is doing the best deals on mobile broadband at the moment? I’m with Tesco and it seems a tad pricey.

somouk
    Free Member

Although the link between the phone and the tablet and the laptop won’t go out to the internet per say having both connected will allow them to use internet services in the background which will use data.

You’ll also need to check that the hotspot doesn’t use device isolation to stop them talking.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ta. They do work well together with Splashtop.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes you will use your phone data allowance if you connect your computer/tablet to the web via the phone hotspot. Be very careful that automatic updates are switched off on the mac/tablet or you will start downloading OS updates over your phone, ditto cloud sharing of things like photos. The tablet/mac see the phone as normal wifi so they can kick start all sorts of downloads.

FWIW I used a mobile wifi device from Three with my mac/tablet and it works really well for normal browsing etc. IME the iPhone works less well.

What @somuk says is correct, the pure link between phone/tablet/mac wont use data but lots of stuff can happen in background. If you want to stop this just switch mobile data off on the phone temporarily.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d just turn off mobile data on the phone if you’re worried.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘mobile hot spot questions’ is closed to new replies.