Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Mobile friendly email using own domain name?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So, knowing that a few erm… geeks hang out here, care to offer some advice to a ‘late adopter’ of smartphone technology…

Been happy for many years with my own domain name hosted on a US service provider, and old fashioned POP email with my windows email client.

However, recently launched myself into the wonderful world of smartphones, and find my old POP email account just can’t cope with accessing email from multiple devices. Said US service provider tells me only solution is to upgrade to a business account that uses IMAP protocol and costs per month what I was paying per year previously.

I suspect this is a load of cr@p but don’t know enough about it to take my domain and move elsewhere.

So, what’s the cheapest and easiest way to continue to use my own domain name for email, but be able to enjoy the wonderful world of instantly synced multiple mobile email devices?

dannybgoode

I use fasthosts.co.uk and their web based email standard hosting (£20ish a year) can easily be accessed from smartphones etc.

Cheers

Danny B

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ok, should probably mention I’m based in Oz, though these days that shouldn’t really make any difference, and for the last ten years my domain name has been hosted in the US…

Stoner
    Free Member

subscribe to google apps and move to their mail servers.

Ad-free google products. Massive storage. google legendary spam filter.

Then with an android phone/chrome browser seamless google across any platform.

The sub might not be considered cheap by many, but since Im a freelancer and run my world/business through it I reckon $50 per user pa to be good VFM.

clubber
    Free Member

Doesn’t your own domain offer email forwarding as an option? Most do IME.

If so, set up a new gmail/whatever email account and then set your personal email address to forward to that new account.

Then just set up the new account on your phone.

or just change your domain provider.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Clubber, someone suggested this to me but a quick Google suggested that when sending email it still shows as coming form Gmail/Hotmail whatever, so kinda negates the purpose of having my own domain/email address. Isn’t this the case?

Stoner, my company use Google Apps, and the boss has offered for me to piggy-back off their account, but I’m not sure if that’d work?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I send and recieve mail on my phone through outlook.com (was hotmail) using my own domain.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Sorry, that’s a lie. It’s got a ‘on behalf of’ tacked on it 🙁

perthmtb
    Free Member

I send and recieve mail on my phone through outlook.com (was hotmail) using my own domain.

Hows dat work den? Don’t you have to pay someone to ‘park’ your own domain name with them? Do Hotmail offer that service as well as free Anybody@hotmail.com services?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Sorry, that’s a lie. It’s got a ‘on behalf of’ tacked on it

Ah, Ok, so the mail forwarding option discussed above…

clubber
    Free Member

Clubber, someone suggested this to me but a quick Google suggested that when sending email it still shows as coming form Gmail/Hotmail whatever, so kinda negates the purpose of having my own domain/email address. Isn’t this the case?

Yes, it is.

It really depends whether that matters. For example, my email address on here is just forwarded to a gmail account and as you say, if I reply, they can see that it’s come via gmail. So what? Maybe if you’re a business it looks less professional but otherwise…

And anyway, most domain hosts will offer POP3 type email for pennies anyway. If yours doesn’t, move.

jwh
    Free Member

In order to use hotmail / outlook.com with your own domain you register here: http://www.domains.live.com/

then you can set up email account and use there website / app just like a hotmail account – but all coming / going from your own domain.

I have a few through it and works well.

perthmtb
    Free Member

And anyway, most domain hosts will offer POP3 type email for pennies anyway. If yours doesn’t, move.

I think thats what I’ve got – if POP3 is the same as POP?!? Anyway, it won’t work with my smartphone (despite it offering POP3 as one of the options when setting up an email account)- just stays synchronising for ever. When I asked my domain/email host how to set it up properly, they said its a common problem with POP as it just wasn’t designed to synchronise multiple mobile devices all accessing the same email account, as it was built back in the dark ages. Hence their offer to ‘upgrade’ me…

Bimbler
    Free Member

I use fasthosts.co.uk and their web based email standard hosting (£20ish a year) can easily be accessed from smartphones etc.

+1

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I send @allmountainventure.com emails via gmail. Not sure how it was set up, it was all done for my by my web bloke. Works great on phones and tabs, android set up requires a google account so it seems obvious to use the g platform for everyhting. Google drive (dropbox), google docs (MS office), g+ (picassa) and so on.

I use the free version so have a cap on drive storage and get ads on the right of my email page (which I tune out)

aracer
    Free Member

Nope – you can set gmail to send “from” whatever address you like (though you do have to have to be able to recieve mail on that address to authorise sending from it, that or have the domain registered on google apps). Have just double checked one I’ve set up for the school on google apps, and whilst it mentions gmail in the full headers that’s quite buried and the headline send from is the address I specified. Actually fairly straightforward to do this – we’re currently using gmail to connect via POP3 with an existing email provider to download messages, with emails being sent via gmail but with a from address which goes to the original account.

So all you need is a gmail account (which presumably will work well with your smartphone – works fine on an ipad) and set that up to access your existing account via pop3. In the settings under thwe “accounts” tab.

thepurist

As above gmail can send from any domain name, but IIRC it uses ‘xyz@yourdomian.com’ as the ‘from’ and ‘xyz@gmail.com’ as the sender, (apparently to stop some anti-spam filters from kicking in). Some mail clients interpret that differently and will display ‘from xyz@gmail on behalf of XYZ’ and set the ‘From’ address and ‘Reply To’ address differnely. Similarly if you’re trying to send from Android you need to do a bit of fettling of the account settings and some mail apps don’t seem to play nicely when using a different address to the gmail account. AquaMail seems to be the best I’ve found for the gmail forwarding setup – free unless you want to get rid of the default sig.

clubber
    Free Member

whilst it mentions gmail in the full headers that’s quite buried and the headline send from is the address I specified.

Depends on your email system. Here (outlook FWIW), it’s very clear that the email actually comes from gmail (eg the on behalf of always appears) and no attempt to reconfigure gmail that I’ve found will change that since it’s always in the header (and which some systems don’t show).

aracer
    Free Member

That’s only the case if you configure gmail to send mail through gmail. You can configure it to send via another SMTP server (ie the one on your existing account) in which case both the “from” and “reply to” are set correctly to that of the original account. When I was referring to gmail being buried deep in the headers it’s far deeper than that (there’s a mention of gmail in the message ID, but no email program I know of displays that as standard).

I’ve just set up a new address on my plusnet account to test, and used gmail to send from that account to my yahoo account, the received headers are as follows (redacted)

From XXXX XXXX Thu Oct 3 15:56:53 2013
    X-Apparently-To: XXXX@yahoo.co.uk via 46.228.37.139; Thu, 03 Oct 2013 14:56:55 +0000
    Return-Path: <test@XXXX.plus.com>
    Received-SPF: none (domain of XXXX.plus.com does not designate permitted sender hosts)
    X-YMailISG: MBrqYF4WLDvuN551LUZomYBAZq5I9QujnSWECqDrbaBfCEmo
    Y13TPIlR3r6iDFhvH0P4tdAP9a8hL2iGCRPeY.M5f_XK82zHWzYJB4HIBUy0
    fJTC6vA20PrDWXYssU8LQQaNcFg4q9NUvBFsQIZDJJHykeIL_OmJsl08ddGy
    PUBStLOqS6IYaoFl6XxcpzMKmr7aijwP42W8wxFx4dHGeFX.9DfFPM8CNcUN
    15JQ8.Y._HsqKd.PwY.sAiSVV_Z8OftT6P5QOgMR1zpPnr6hysms_IUMxpnY
    7jSgvNLTGtkdnkmONUsJ4vZ76.0PWjZmifkoD.4vYi.K6X_KVWChjrAWU8yi
    wgtB9cmxTR2Z7B3vYC8OS_q.R3V4L8y8KrWlIaaDnfbDWhynQtHhClw2xHDV
    4JIBxtbmo8mUqUZ4DQNVMBIKu3dc6MVDLkqLTwMlUr.eH1rBn.0reAxCqKSa
    V67uSeN2Gyqgzp5dOgAwAMXLTjShqQQC6FfhRIKm6kPXEfwIzqj.2lWqrwnW
    WJqniQOKUY0b5KQiQoTQxl44jzZ0g0jc.pmn.k_uYaVh_F_RslGquAl7oSpr
    vaOzZd6h3p3O0IatAHAv8MqJVNzUtnljEt7_m1F0VzTLsTb.0VL5PvEbpOox
    YIPe2_ca_MfzeX3vNwBKi3BKocGEBzjEW48YzKDEKOr6vnq49BsFNIObb0Yi
    vg2QNtombZaCe5PAiwii6YFQbTTDEXTUaJYom2Fj5qRVkdZNWNLzqXcUpM0U
    hzoNeQ9vTfjuZ8Ycakcro5T8G0_OIgBu0pRXUHXWhAkCRaXprJlCkPEt8eXX
    ONjXXU3xCR2sGy1tTaq9nyULigpLyHIyEOifCXbiH.XG9pL5wQbV2lTQIYbV
    VThTCb5Pn.4Lcfnsruy9ptjUhjAPJewU2ysGgS6An5FUjFrYfhnMpXNB1YGx
    JQiGXMgEgKnwHA3lKSDIEc4_bURSWr6WgI.FRE9CxN8Go0S2ER2ikX.PbIMo
    seExXEQbeaI1q_mQ1vppnoWgl.cHOsVZ_RQlgmI4Vek9ALicy11M_iCZn944
    SfvYmspV5Kk6mj61ltSCxpW8Iy.YHYhop8gboyVCcp.ecJMboo0EI_NLOxal
    Y6rWJbgTZ2Hyx1T2ZhW8TjyePOHWk438pdEzKuOXNyIDUHmeBMw8FsTXzDdx
    2kLnIm4HCepGV2DEZ6_.
    X-Originating-IP: [84.93.230.227]
    Authentication-Results: mta1062.mail.ir2.yahoo.com from=XXXX.plus.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=XXXX.plus.com; dkim=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO avasout01.plus.net) (84.93.230.227)
    by mta1062.mail.ir2.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 03 Oct 2013 14:56:55 +0000
    Received: from mail-we0-f177.google.com ([74.125.82.177])
    by avasout01 with smtp
    id Yewt1m0063pZ1Te01ewuAw; Thu, 03 Oct 2013 15:56:55 +0100
    X-CM-Score: 0.00
    X-CNFS-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=PIY2p5aC c=1 sm=1 tr=0
    a=TY536VeB8EqGyhb/77Hj9A==:117 a=1XWaLZrsAAAA:8 a=0Bzu9jTXAAAA:8
    a=ihvODaAuJD4A:10 a=EBOSESyhAAAA:8 a=pGLkceISAAAA:8 a=BrDiTsk0AAAA:8
    a=zJFhDcV65yqPMEVMrPcA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=QEVbh0-VRe8A:10 a=5EjUCq1is2EA:10
    X-AUTH: XXXX+test:2500
    Received: by mail-we0-f177.google.com with SMTP id t60so2838204wes.36
    for <XXXX@yahoo.co.uk>; Thu, 03 Oct 2013 07:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
    X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
    d=1e100.net; s=20130820;
    h=mime-version:reply-to:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;
    bh=zaDwHkLZ64G3wILsFLtgoISCvvt8wHFmti6qokiInw0=;
    b=V3gBQW3zksOHN/5IE2C+KxLRA3H9V1YNM2Jap+reeliCzmQhc8FK2BfV2eRNMkP+46
    RggwK3mNCVgNE/M73OaLXicj/AKtidV7geUFBrJnhYHyj4RWeA/tAOuhu/VfBtm/sEuG
    LmZO77qyk6YM/gx6ejZeNZZUBcq4I+N2QecVqC6s3IVSEMbhK8NoR9F7670vjXG5d58u
    guUvbg7pQEr+rOE8ptWp0R/eOznMjkx2vA2G2GBVBLSsPyEgjOaocRex3rBA6sYPiD9K
    lhyaVCKzbFN2A6ndQcMbZokoqdHoySXi4h7F5C/bIQOynFmWnUKfBKzrGTLAlkB4u1CF
    12Qg==
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Received: by 10.180.219.8 with SMTP id pk8mr2861136wic.58.1380812213743;
    Thu, 03 Oct 2013 07:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
    Reply-To: test@XXXX.plus.com
    Received: by 10.194.83.67 with HTTP; Thu, 3 Oct 2013 07:56:53 -0700 (PDT)
    Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 15:56:53 +0100
    Message-ID: <CAO2TaQee30O-BugGh0aN9t3VQ6x0k9fwSEuy22R6-p8cEKUpNw@mail.gmail.com>
    Subject: test4
    To: XXXX XXXX <XXXX@yahoo.co.uk>
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=001a1135e27e807d3004e7d765d4
    Content-Length: 217

atlaz
    Free Member

The company I work for gives one email account free with every domain. If that’s all you need, drop me a line.

clubber
    Free Member

You can configure it to send via another SMTP server

Right, yes, that’d work.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Mobile friendly email using own domain name?’ is closed to new replies.