Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mobile data – how much is 250Mb ?
  • scaredypants

… if you use facebook, instagram etc ?

peteimpreza

bugger all

oliverracing

for me – about 5-6 days

bikemike1968
    Free Member

If you are using Facebook and instagram you’ll need at least one gig, preferably more. With 250 mb you’ll be paying a fortune in excess data charges.

seosamh77
    Free Member

4 hours to 4 days.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Two hundred and fifty megabytes.

Is a mobile megabyte, different to say a megabyte over broadband?

scaredypants

dd, they’re mobile ones, luvvie – means they have to be lighter

slackboy

Not enough

if you leave mobile data on and use facebook/instagram / snapchat whatever every day and don’t hook onto a wireless network at work/college then you’ll go through 1Gb per month easily.

250Mb is a quarter of a 1Gb so about a weeks worth.

marmaduke
    Free Member

In the past week I’ve used 512 mb mobile and 3500mb on WiFi because I’ve been mainly working from home. Your phone will p*ss 250mb.

just5minutes
    Free Member

about £2.50 on three’s 123 payg tariff 😀

ElShalimo

Go to this page on the Three website
    and click on the How much data do I need? words

A very handy summary table pops up to explain what data allowances can represent.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I don’t know how people put up with these stingy data plans, I use at least 9gb a month,l.

scaredypants

AH, see I’m being a tight dad – want a plan that doesn’t allow my daughter to waste her days at school buggering about on the internet

Cheers all

bensales
    Free Member

In contrast, I’ve spent a very long time on a plan with only 250Mb of data and I’m a very heavy iPhone user.

At home, it’s on my home wireless.
    At work, it’s on the work wireless.

It’s actually quite rare it uses mobile data. Only reason I’ve now got 1Gb, is because that was the lowest 4G I could get with Giffgaff.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The three guy told me I used 55gb last month, so on that basis about five minutes lol

CHB

For urchins Tesco are pretty good. They do capped tarifs so they can’t go over the allowance. You can also check online and increase data if needed.

butcher

I use sod all. Past week I’ve used 75mb. And that’s the most I’ve seen it use yet, purely because I haven’t been connected to the Wifi at work. Depends on your usage though. At home I’m connected to the wifi too. In fact it’s rare I’m not connected to wifi. But if you’re out all the time, Youtubing your face off and stuff… I suppose inevitably kids will go through a lot, roaming from place to place, but I see it as like money. One must be disciplined and learn to save!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

AH, see I’m being a tight dad – want a plan that doesn’t allow my daughter to waste her days at school buggering about on the internet

Cheers all

That’s gonna backfire when she does piss around on it all day, and you get lumped with a huge bill for the extra data, no?

CountZero

If she was streaming music/video, like everyone says we all do these days, ‘cos, like nobody owns music anymore, do they? then that would be barely two days usage.

cookeaa

250mb Bugger all if you want to use stuff like Spotify, Youtube, Netflix or googlemaps/Navigation on the move, but if you just want to check the odd minor thing online, run a search, check on FB it would be adequate I reckon…

My Top tip is, turn off all data services on your phone till you need them, and make use of WiFi at home or at work for any bigger bandwidth tasks…

Northwind

The trouble is you don’t really control what data you’re transferring, so you can end up getting suddenly smashed by a big photo or video or some stupid streaming ad that you don’t know is streaming (eh STW? 😉 )

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

As an aside, how much data does an hours worth of Netflix use compared to streaming from a site, e.g. UCI events or YouTube.

I’d assume Netflix to be quite a bit higher due to the increased picture quality, but double?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You need a lot of data if you want to look at the STW gifs thread..

stumpy01

250Mb is not a lot…unless you are constantly relying on being somewhere with Wi-Fi…

I hardly ever turn the Wi-Fi on, on my phone. I’ve got unlimited data and the connection to my phone via the network is about as fast as my home broadband so there’s no point flipping it to Wi-Fi.

This month so far, I’ve used 2.4Gb:

1.66Gb on Spotify
    322Mb on Facebook
    161Mb on Chrome
    71Mb on Android OS
    70Mb on Maps
    35Mb on Play Store

and then a ton of smaller quantity stuff.

I wouldn’t say I was that heavy a user, apart from Spotify which I listen to quite a bit at work and will occasionally plug in at home.

Although, if I had to go onto a more restricted data package, I could use Wi-Fi most of the time and drop my data usage to below 1Gb without too much bother.

mark90
    Free Member

I’m really not a heavy user. Don’t stream music, and not a huge amount of video. In rough figures I get through about…

Phone:
    Mobile = 50MB/month
    Wifi = 500MB/month

Tablet:
    Wifi = 5GB/month

90% of the time I’m connected to wifi, and will use wifi for any big updates/downloads. Without the tablet my phone usage would undoubtedly be higher. Phone mobile data usage does go up when I’m away without wifi access, eg camping etc, then it can be 100-300MB/week. I have a 500MB data plan so ok for a week or maybe two away in a month.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mobile data – how much is 250Mb ?’ is closed to new replies.