Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mobile data – how much in a month?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I was wondering how much data most people typically use in a month? I’m trying to figure out which network would be best for my new phone, and it depends on how much data I use. Likely to go over 1GB most months? I would be using it a fair amount I think.

clubber
    Free Member

About 500-750Mb a month though I have done 1.5GB when I used it as a hotspot for a while.

I should add that I use Wifi whenever I’m home and that’s quite a lot in addition to the numbers above.

loddrik
    Free Member

3gb or so. Now on giffgaff so doesn’t matter 😛

somouk
    Free Member

Depends on how much I’m travelling in a month. Very little travel and I’ll just scrape 512 Mb, a lot of travelling and I’ll probably hit the 1 Gb allowance.

I do try and use wifi as much as possible and have free wifi at premier inns, home, mates houses and The Cloud access points which does help a lot to my allowance.

molgrips
    Free Member

What is this The Cloud thing?

miketually
    Free Member

The most I’ve hit is 2GB in one month. I have my phone set to send all photos up to Google+ and was using it as my main camera while on holiday for a week. This was just after Google unveiled their Auto Awesome feature, so I was firing off sequences of images to make it create animated GIFs.

miketually
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    What is this The Cloud thing?

The Cloud: The Cloud, a BSkyB subsidiary, is a provider of public access Wi-Fi hotspots in the UK.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cheers chaps!

jambalaya
    Free Member

1gb month is quite generous but that’s assuming you have good wifi and I recall from your original post that was an issue. I do app updates/downloads, photo uploads etc and buy music / movies via wifi so it keeps mobile usage down! Note you can do this via your computer and then sync the phone which minimises data. If you have bt internet they have lots of wifi hotspots as basically every bt router is a hotspot. Generally you can upgrade your contract at any time so you might try a limit to start with depending upon costs, personally next time I’d go unlimited as extra cost is limited these days with 3 who I will use.

Edit: I have my iPhone / iCloud setup so that all synching is done wifi only (so no mobile data) so when I take photos they are transferred to cloud and other devices only once I’m back on wifi, ie at home (or in pub, most of my wifi hotspots are pubs/bars with free wifi).

footflaps

I think I use less than 100Mb/month. I use loads of data, but it’s mainly at work or home, when I’m on Wifi…..

patriotpro
    Free Member

It all depends on the availability of Wi-Fi ime.

You can also tweek your download settings to only download emails, etc when using WF.

I have an allowance of .5gb and almost reached that one month after using my phone to stream music at a BBQ. Never get anywhere near it normally.

Milkie
    Free Member

I only use mine on WiFi really… I still manage to use 500mb a month. 😕

IA

No wifi at work and I stream spotify, etc. all day long, get through about 1.5gig a month.

stumpy01

I use anywhere between 1 and 2 Gb, but seeing as I have unlimited I just leave data on all the time and use my phone for itunes radio, quite a lot of browsing, watching crap on youtube etc….

Don’t even bother switching it to wi-fi at home as I seem to get almost as fast connection on Three as I do with my rubbish TalkTalk broadband.

bails

Wifi is rubbish at work (and our broadband at home is slower than my Three 3G signal) so I get through about 3-4GB a month.

If I had a limit then I’d use less, but seeing as it’s unlimited I don’t stress about connecting to wifi or turning HD off on youtube.

brakes
    Free Member

500-600 MB a month consistently for about 18 months; used mainly for mobile data i.e. not at work/ home.
    I have a 500 limit and top up when I need to.
    Mainly used for social media, maps/ navigation, strava (!) and a bit of internet browsing when on the train/ toilet.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Quiet month just now… only used 2.15 GB since 1st Sept

Most months it’s around 7 – 8 GB in total

But on Three 1 plan so no cap and I can create a hotspot any where I like so it’s used a lot 😀

footflaps

Mainly used for social media, maps/ navigation, strava (!) and a bit of internet browsing when on the train/ toilet.

Our new office has excellent WiFi coverage in the loos 🙂

prawny

Normally about 5-6gb a month, but now I’m on unlimited I do take the piss a bit. Downloading TV shows internet radio and streaming stuff etc. I’m on the train for two hours a day so it gets some hammer.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mobile data – how much in a month?’ is closed to new replies.