Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Mobile Contract Question
  • willber
    Free Member

So – my 24 month phone contract with Orange ended at the end of Feb. When I rang up to cancel I ended up agreeing to a 12 month SIM only package for 8.50 per month. I was told the SIM would arrive within a week, and when it does to ring up/follow the instructions in the SIM Pack to activate it.

After a week, nothing arrives – I needed a phone (had managed a week, but needed a new connection for work). As I hadn’t received anything, nor signed anything and was under the impression that if the SIM did arrive I wouldn’t have to activate it – I went out and bought a new phone from a store on contract that was connected immediately.

I thought nothing more about it – until yesterday I got a Welcome to orange letter, detailing that I was now on a new 12 month contract (as of 5.3.13) at 15.50 a month.

Rang Orange and explained and told them I wanted to cancel the contract and they are trying to tell me I’ll have to buy myself out of it???

I’ve tried to argue with them but they seem pretty resolute.

Am I being unreasonable?

johndoh
    Free Member

Distance selling regs.

You’ll be fine – just explain distance selling regs.

Then, if they don’t get it, tell them about distance selling regs.

willber
    Free Member

Tried that – apparently you only have 7 days from the start of the contract – which according to them started on the 5th March……

I’ve checked, and apparently DSR does only afford you 7 days with regards to phone contracts.

I’ve tried to highlight the point that surely a contract can only start when I recieve the items, or activate them – they say the contract began when the call was made to them……

willber
    Free Member

I also said that they’d advised me i’d recieve the SIM within a week – so I made arrangments to cover that week with regards to taking calls. However, after a week it was no longer practical or cost effective to continue with these arrangements so I went out and bought a new phone contract – as a result of not receiving the Orange sim. Orange sticking to their guns – simply saying “Your contract began 5th March – 7 days has now lapsed and you have no right to cancel”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Contract Question’ is closed to new replies.