• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Mobile Atlas Creator – Destroyed by the powers that be !!!
  • excitable1
    Free Member

I knew that the latest down load (version 9) had far less map sources but the older version (8.1) is still out there with the original list, (including Multimap UK OS which got 1:25k maps for everywhere).

But as usual it’s been got at by OS and all the other extortionist out there who want to charge a hundred notes plus for a 1:25k digital map. Anyone else noticed that their Atlas Creator has been getting more and more red crosses appearing on the preview. Try creating a custom map now… just a blank square with a couple of tiles if your lucky.

The powers that be responsible for this one go right up there with Ticket Master, Domestic Appliance Service Contractors and the Inland Revenue 👿 !!!

crikey
    Free Member

That would be the people who make maps then?

xcentric
    Free Member

So, make a convincing case as to why it should be free from the OS? (am serious – I’m going to visit them soon to discuss freeing up their data, and having an mtb set of arguments would be good).

CraigW
    Free Member

Mobile Atlas Creator has been overloading servers, and costing money to the people running them.

excitable1
    Free Member

OK, I know the source through Mobac was free and that OS is a business that has costs of it’s own to cover, and I suspect that the developer of Mobac didn’t get any permissions before developing the software.

Likewise though I don’t think the developer did too much wrong in utilising a source such as Multimap OS that was originally available to all FOC and putting a programme over the top of it that creates a map. Isn’t that what Google Earth now does ?

I can’t believe that OS sells many of it’s digital OS maps at the the prices it charges or indeed the custom maps on it’s web site. To put it into perspective you could buy a second GPS device for the price of 3 National Parks ! I also understand that even when you do buy one of their maps then the use of them is very restricted.

Also, how much does it cost for OS to create a digital map ? If it’s down loaded = the cost of their servers, and if it’s a physical send = the cost of a memory card which they undoubtedly buy in bulk.
    How often do they up date their OS maps and by how much and how much does that cost with modern technology ? I suspect very little in answer to all those points.

So it comes down to their current business model. Which is to charge too much for a restricted product and have very few sales and hope the costs per unit can be covered with the return.

Surly a better model would be to charge very little for something people are going to want to buy on mass and be unrestricted with it’s use.

Sound familiar. Itunes. A CD was £10 a CD single £5, sell albums for £6 and tracks for 99p instead and you take over the music world.
    And there’s your argument to OS. Free up the 1:25k nationwide so that everyone can use them on their smart phones and Garmins unrestricted but charge them small amounts for the privilege. Everyone knows the OS maps are the most accurate and have the most detail and everyone would soon discard alternative sources and maps.

It’s not like that business model is untested and the devices and the ability to use the maps is already out there in everyone’s hands waiting for the maps.

crikey
    Free Member

Perhaps you could ask them for a map of the moon.

…on a stick.

GrahamS

That is why projects like OpenStreetMap and OpenCycleMap exist.

excitable1
    Free Member

What’s the point, there’s no ST there !

GrahamS

Incidentally quite a lot of OS data is made available for free as part of their Open Data initiative.

xcentric
    Free Member

excitable1 – thanks for the views.

winston_dog
    Free Member

OS is a Government trading fund.
    It is not a private business but has a lot of self determination. It is very similar to the UK Hydrographic Office.

Both organisations are very risk adverse and totally stuck in the past. However both produce absolutely outstanding products.

It’s such a shame, I for one would happily pay a £10 – £15 annual subscription for full access to the OS50k and 25k including a transfer/download facility.

They will still have a very similar market for the paper products, I use both as a large paper map is still more useful for a lot of things than a smaller electronic version.

druidh
    Free Member

winston_dog – Member
    It’s such a shame, I for one would happily pay a £10 – £15 annual subscription for full access to the OS50k and 25k including a transfer/download facility.

OS getamap is £20 per year.

Buy an annual subscription to OS getamap to get access to all features including:

– Plot, plan, save and share routes
    – Free map printing
    – Free recommended routes
    – Import and export routes to Garmin GPS
    – Personalisation options
    – View full screen maps

excitable1
    Free Member

@ druidh

Getamap does not allow you to down load the actual OS map itself or sections of it so you can upload the map onto your Garmin.

Actually for £20/year you are paying for the privilege of what you can do on Google, Anquet Maps & Garmin Connect (amongst others) free of charge.

@ xcentric

Having looked into this further I understand that Anquet Maps do exactly what we are after but at fairly hefty prices. Not surprising they are also licensed by OS. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find that there is a lock out agreement or exclusivity agreement between OS and Anquet. Hence, it will be difficult or they will be reluctant or Anquet will protest if anything else is suggested.

How ridiculous does it sound that you can by a paper OS for one part of the Lakes for £7 at 1:25k and have to spend some time photocopying and marking out a route but to save time & effort by utilising modern technology we have to pay the earth !

molgrips
    Free Member

How ridiculous does it sound that you can by a paper OS for one part of the Lakes for £7

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that paper maps don’t last that long, and with heavy use you need to replace them fairly often..?

grum
    Free Member

OS mapping seems very cheap for the (free) Memory Map app on my iPhone. Think it cost me £10-£15 for most of the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales and a few other bits.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Multiple purchase…
    One of the biggest issues I have with OS is that I have to purchase the same map multiple times. For example I may (almost always do) buy a paper map, but then have to buy the digital version to go on my Garmin. Same data, but have to purchase twice. I even own the same digital map multiple times because Memory Map cant use Quo Maps data etc.

Print size…
    All the digital versions I have I can only print out at A4 size, why? Again, I’ve paid for the data why can’t I print out whatever size I like? Being able to do this wouldn’t destroy map sales as I could never print to paper/waterproof medium at the quality of the ones you buy. But it would be really useful to print at say A3 then I could repeatedly trash by adding routes, notes etc.

Misc…
    I do some cycle touring and I’d like to be able to buy a route at say 25k, but not have to have the whole set of maps which can quickly get silly. So say I was doing LEJOG I’d love to be able to have a map of my route in high detail, but only covering say 2k either side of the route. I know you can buy small tiles for Quo, but its a pita. Just thinking out loud really.

druidh
    Free Member

You can also “cut your own” 1:25k with Anquet and with Garmin Birdseye

mrjmt
    Free Member

(or select “Ordanace Survey Explorer Maps (UK)” as the source and choose zoom level 15.)

😆

but dont go using it too much and overloading that source too!

winston_dog
    Free Member

druidh

Get a Map doesn’t let you transfer the map to a Garmin, just the route.

There is loads of free software that lets you transfer routes.

I have spent a fortune on OS products over the years and do not feel guilt in using Mobile Atlas Creator for my garmin.

mintimperial

make a convincing case as to why it should be free from the OS

Just want to add my voice to what others are saying here. I don’t think digtal OS maps should necessarily be free. I do think that £150 for a 1:25k map of just the Peak District to use on my Garmin is criminal, though, especially when you can pick up the paper equivalent for what, £15 or so? I would be willing to pay in order to be able to use digital copies of the 1:25k maps but it would have to be very convenient, completely unrestricted for personal use, and in line with the cost of the physical maps.

Lifer
    Free Member

Viewranage uses OS Maps and for £15.00 you get:

Great Britain 1:50k (up to 14,800 sqkm), 1:25k (up to 630 sqkm)

DT78
    Free Member

Garmin set the price of the maps to be used on their devices. Not os.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Mobile Atlas Creator – Destroyed by the powers that be !!!’ is closed to new replies.