Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Mobi Pressure Washers
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve used a Mobi Pressure Washer to clean my bike for the last 6 months. I’ve been told by a bike mechanic that these cause damage to the bike. However I thought the Mobi Washers were designed for this purpose, and that the pressure is too low to cause any damage.

On a £2000 full suspension bike I’ve had to replace the headset bearings, bottom bracket bearings and the front wheel bearings in just 6 months.

Is this normal to replace so much in just half a year or is it the Mobi that has caused the damage?

I make sure the pressure is not on full power whenever I’m cleaning anywhere other than the frame or tyres, and try to avoid spraying at the bottom bracket.

I’ve also been told by the said mechanic that the mobi can damage suspension and suspension pivots ?

Northwind

That’s not outrageously short, if you’re riding the bike a lot. I’ve got an older Mobi and on the most focused mode the water is a little more powerful than an average garden hose but still nothing like a full on powerwasher- as long as you’re reasonably careful with the spray (ie not blasting right at seals) then it shouldn’t cause any more bother than a hose, or rain, imo.

Some OE parts can be pretty poorly sealed, even on a £2000 bike.

swiss01
    Free Member

as above. i’m sure, if you tried, you could use your mobi to damage something but in the three or four years i’ve been using mine i’ve not damaged anything more than knocking over a container of degreaser

grannyjone
    Free Member

The bike has bee ridden once or twica a week. Sometimes in horrendous conditions in Winter and early Spring, regrettably.

I wouldn’t have thought the Mobi would have been more likely to have caused damage to bearings than the rain. Especially with the bike on a roof rack being driven on the motorway in the rain.

If I use the Mobi on full power on the frame, wheels and cassette, then use it on low pressure everywhere else, such as suspension, is this unlikely to cause damage?

grannyjone
    Free Member

When I said I used full pressure on the wheels I just meant the rims and the tyres, not the bearings

zero-cool
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for about 6 years and it’s not shortened the lifespan of any of my bike components. As said above, many OEM bearings are often pretty cheap/rubbish quality as its a place to save money on the build with out having visible crappy kit on show.

Also even on full power you’d have to be blasting it under the seals of bearings, forks, shocks etc. I’ve also used full power jet washers to clean my bikes and they’ve never caused any problems (although with them I am pretty careful when cleaning anything with a seal. Seeing as they can remove car paint if you’re not careful.

Wally

I had the same issue, my new “quality” bike had the cheapest bearings imaginable. It’s not your washer.

reedspeed
    Free Member

I make sure there’s a reasonable amount of grease around all my bearings,it’s helps keep both crap & water out !.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I haven’t found a bike mechanic yet that hasn’t said that regular use of a pressure washer will shorten the life of bearings. No matter how careful you are the water gets in quicker, compared to using bucket and brush. I dont think its a coincidence your bearings have needed replacing so soon and your using a pressure washer…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve avoided even using a hose on the Yeti in the last year as the bearings are a bit on the expensive side, and don’t last. Made a bit of a difference too.

grannyjone
    Free Member

My bike is the Camber Evo 2014. I suspect the bearings were just cheap. Can any other Mobi users say how long their bearings usually last and how many washes per week?

I like using the Mobi as it gets the bike clean in 10 minutes. Bucket and brush is a pain in the arse.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Correction its the 2015 Camber Evo not 2014 – not sure if it makes any difference

Wally

Like previous poster said, grease your bearings every so often and buy stainless, keep using Mobi – works for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Mobi Pressure Washers’ is closed to new replies.