Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Moab – Which Airport
  • beamers

Planning a trip to Moab later this year. Which airport do I need to fly into? (It will be an internal US flight)

mAx_hEadSet

I flew to Denver and drove through the rockies stopping in Vale and Grande Junction on the way

djglover
    Free Member

Aye, denver & drive is what I did

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Salt lake city is a bit closer than Denver, but the drive along I-70 from Denver is quite nice in the summer. You can fly into Grand Junction pretty cheaply and then its only an hours drive south. Have a look at Frontier or Southwest

sweaman2
    Free Member

Major airports are Salt Lake city (closest) or Denver (further away but more scenic / opportunities to easily break the journey)
    I would say Denver and aim to overnight or spend a day each way at Fruita – makes it much less of a slog. Driving it in one go is a bit of an epic and essentially takes all day.

crazy-legs

We did Moab as part of a 2-week Breckenridge based holiday so we flew to Denver, had a few days in Breck, drove to Moab via Fruita, had a few days there then back (via Fruita again) and the final few days in Breck. It’s a LONG drive but Denver is a major hub airport and you can get direct flights there from the UK.

metalheart
    Free Member

Been twice and both flew to Denver.

Found Denver cheaper/shorter flight wise (and direct from UK) where as SLC seemed to go via LAX.

Moab is a bit of a hike right enough and doesn’t really lend itself to any of the major stops (Crested Butte, etc) as at the time of year for riding Moab they will probably still be snow bound (CB wasn’t ‘open’ by end of June last year). That said CB is a very cool place to hang out.

Fruita is worth a stop for sure but unless you enjoy riding in 100 degrees of heat avoid high summer. I particularly enjoyed Joes Ridge and the Kessel Run despite the heat.

Oh and another thing stay in Boulder (not Denver) as like CB Boulder is a very cool place to hang out. It seems to be mandatory to have a bike if you live there. Worth a visit (I’d move there in a shot if I had the chance) 8)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Moab – Which Airport’ is closed to new replies.