Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Moab area – other riding options (Sedona?)
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We’re off to Utah for 3 weeks at the end of next month, 10 days booked in Moab for the Outerbike Festival and general riding / hiking etc. We’ve been a few times before, so will probably move on for the 3rd week or so.

We’ll be heading back in the direction of Vegas, possibly via the Grand Canyon, but would like to do some riding in other areas that would be a bit different.

Arizona is an obvious choice, I’ve heard good things about both Flagstaff area and Sedona – can anyone tell me more? Is there any thing lift assisted down that way?

We’ll have a day at Gooseberry Mesa on the way to Moab, and another in Frutia while we’re there. Colorado is in the wrong direction unfortunately, so it’s South and West of Moab that I’m interested in.

cheers

greeble
    Free Member

I spent last september touring utah. There are some fantastic places to ride. Salt lake city has some good spots i.e. park city.
    Virgin near Zion national park is the site for the red bull rampage.
    vitalmtb have a good article here regarding southwest utah for riding
    http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Rad-Rides-Eats-More-The-Vital-MTB-Guide-To-Southwest-Utah,481

If you’re in Moah visit Arches national park some totally amazing stuff there! not for riding also head south and visit natural bridges national park and Page. all depends if you have the time ofcourse. I got in 2400miles in a week touring Utah

JamesD
    Free Member

Riding in Flagstaff is lovely – loads of swoopy woodland singletrack and some great techy stuff around the old lava fields too. The guys at Absolute Bikes were very helpful with trail recommendations and tips. Good maps and signage on the trail too. Stay away from their Spesh Hardrock for hire though, the one I had was truly awful!

Flagstaff, Arizona – Rocky Ridge trail by James Dymond, on Flickr

Flagstaff, Arizona – Mt Elden by James Dymond, on Flickr

Flagstaff, Arizona by James Dymond, on Flickr

Flagstaff, Arizona by James Dymond, on Flickr

missnotax
    Free Member

Oooh, exciting!!

I don’t anything useful to add, but i’m in Utah the first week of October (from the 5th) and I can’t WAIT!!!!

Hope you have a fabulous time 🙂

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks JamesD, that’s just what I was hoping for. I love the slickrock and desert, but also trails in the trees. We’ll probably head over to Flagstaff (but not stay in the Hostel RIGHT next to the train line this time….)

missnotax – you going to Outerbike?

sweaman2
    Free Member

It isn’t riding but Zion canyon is a must see for me if you are in the area. Hike the angels landing for some superb scenery.

greeble
    Free Member

staying next to the mainline east/west trainline in flagstaf isn’t the best idea I’ve done the same.
    Zion is amazing

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

sorry, should have said I’ve spent quite a lot of time in southern Utah, mainly hiking when not in Moab. I love Zion especially, and Bryce in the winter. I might do a road bike tour of Arches this year, free demos available with the Outerbike ticket.

The canyons in Escalante are some of the best, hopefully we’ll get out and do some canyoning this time, and maybe climbing at Fisher Towers.

MtbRoutes

Sedona is great – loads of great riding, spectacular scenery, but local knowledge is always a plus. Seek out Dave Cichan at the Fat Tire Bike Shop – super friendly and helpful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Moab area – other riding options (Sedona?)’ is closed to new replies.