• This topic has 35 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by dazh.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • MNPR – 11the July – Tour de Littleborough 2016 – Warning ROAD BIKE content!
  • Harry_the_Spider

Bonjour,

Wine Press, Hollingworth Lake
    8:15 blast off
    40ish km road ride. Littlebrough – Walsden – Lumbutts/Mankinholes – Hebden Bridge – Mytholmroyd – Cragg Vale – Littlebrough.
    Bring money for absinth

Salut,

Henri l’Araignée

scaled
    Free Member

If it’s wet I hoe you’ve all got bloody mudguards 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Hom le F up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dazh

Make sure you have at least a rear light, we’ll be finishing before it gets dark but it’ll get a bit murky after 9, especially if the weather is less than optimal.

Are we going to do a team photo? 😯

jekkyl

absolutely shocking.

[video]https://youtu.be/RXeKX-GPyds[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

5 different helmets in that pic.

Paul-S
    Free Member

I should be up for a road ride.

( Obviously I’ll suffer from some horrendous 1 night illness if it is raining 😉 )

Paul.

binners

I happen to be doing some roadie designs today. controversial, I know. So there tha goes, as I’ve been slacking of late…

Sandwich

Cavaliers and Roundheads ride?

duncancallum

I’m out. I’ve fractured my thumb.

After a week n the knuckle still being swollen I gave up n sought medical attention. Yep it’s bust await fracture clinic now.

It’s my excuse for being shit at speedway

gaze
    Free Member

Need to take a spare pair of socks !!!

dazh

The weather’s going to clear by 7pm. Fist person to do a Chris Froome on the Blackstone Edge Descent gets a free pint, or more likely a hospital visit.

scaled
    Free Member

Currently mulling over the 50 mile round trip and the ethics of driving to a road ride.

If there’s a ‘nice’ way to get from Sale to the Wine Press let me know, I can’t see a route that’s not grim as ****.

dazh

Follow my commute route. Not exactly picturesque but it avoids the worst roads. I’d show you the way but I wimped out and got the train into work today.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m interested to see what our road bikes all look like. I’ve been riding with you lot for years but this will be completely out of context.

My MTBs as rule are dirty but functional yet my road bike looks immaculate despite it only being a “cheapy”. Cheapy being a relative term as it would make some people wince, but it was only a third the price of my MTB.

I’ll be wearing colour coordinate kit too. Everything including the bike, kit, lid and mobile phone case are red, black and white.

I look like a right dick 😉

binners

I’m tempted to come over tonight to get some pictures, while tutting and shaking my head disapprovingly

You are all aware how wrong this is, yeah?

brennak

I’m interested to see what our road bikes all look like. I’ve been riding with you lot for years but this will be completely out of context.

Mine will look like a Cotic Rocket with drop bars and road tyres if I get them fitted by tea time the gear and brake levers seem to be a bit different

dazh

I’ll be wearing colour coordinate kit too.

Sunday best then is it? Wonder if I have time to shave my legs when I get home?

Being the bike I ride most, especially in bad weather, my road bike is in the same sorry state of minimal maintenance and cleaning as my mountain bikes.

You are all aware how wrong this is, yeah?

How can riding a bike be wrong?

Bregante

I hope for all your sakes that the wind over there is isn’t as bad as it is in N.Yorks.

Just back from a very interesting* ride out round the fringes of Stainburn Forest. Leave your 50mm carbon aero wheels at home ladies and gents.

*bloody terrifying.

binners

How can riding a bike be wrong?

Because I’m uncomfortable with change! Thats why!

And nobody should ever see me in lycra. EVER! Unless its as part of some cruel and unusual torture. I’d look like a burst black pudding. Just thank me for sparing the world this horror!

dazh

I hope for all your sakes that the wind over there is isn’t as bad as it is in N.Yorks.

Forecast says a 11mph westerly. We can always decide to do the route the other way round but riding up Cragg Vale into a headwind is all part of the fun, and the descent down to Littlebrough is much more fun than the descent to Mytholmroyd.

Harry_the_Spider

I’d look like a burst black pudding.

My livery makes me look like road kill.

scaled
    Free Member

Arse.

Looks like I’ve been dumped on call by work.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I drove to Austria on Friday, raced a 211k race on Saturday, had a shower, ate a steak then drove 1022 miles home again. Arrived home last night.
    I’m pretty **** right now to be quite honest.

Not that I show up very often anyway.
    but anyway.

zzz

dazh

Weather’s brightening up nicely! 😕

No idea who’s coming so I’ll see you there later. If anyone’s going to be late send me and email or post on here and we’ll wait.

mintimperial

Well I was 50/50 at best but son started barfing all over the place about an hour ago so I’m definitely out now. 🙁 Have fun into that headwind up Cragg. 😀

Dunc I’m not surprised that was a break, looked flipping painful! Heal up quick and all that.

duncancallum

Cheers Tom. I’m thinking of fibreglassing a splint whislt waiting for the fracture clinic. I’m ok but can’t use my reverb…

Harry_the_Spider

That was grimly satisfying. Not too windy, but two hours of near constant liquid sunshine.

Allez! Allez! Allez!

dazh

The ride to work was a bit slower than normal this morning. I much prefer riding a road bike in the rain than a mountain bike. We should do it again sometime.

Harry_the_Spider

Le club cycliste de Simister* roll out most Saturday mornings at 6:00am for a cheeky 40km in the hills above Bury with the aim of getting back for 8:00am.

You are more than welcome to join us.

*me and my mates Nigel and Pete.

D0NK

I much prefer riding a road bike in the rain than a mountain bike.

perv. I’m a complete and utter fair weather roadie.

But genuinely interested to see your working out for that decision….

dazh

But genuinely interested to see your working out for that decision….

1. You don’t get covered in sh*t
    2. Once you get going you don’t really notice the rain, you’re out in it for less time, and it’s more continuous so it’s easier to stay warm.
    3. In summer the rain can have a nice cooling effect
    5. It doesn’t cost you a new drive-train every year (multiply if you have multiple bikes)

D0NK

are you riding with full guards?
    My road bike hasn’t got them and as anything remotely waterproof is instant boil in the bag for road riding, so you’ve got the constant enema thing. Rim brakes so crappy braking, limited visibility, grip on manhole covers, white lines etc, misted up car windows added to crap visibility for added risk.*

But yeah you make some valid points.

*fatter tyres, full guards and disc brakes solve a lot of these problems but then you’re not really on a road bike anymore, more like a cx/gravel or tourer, and you can take them on more interesting dirt roads 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Just spent lunch looking at carbon road bikes on Paul’s Cycles… must resist.

binners

Weirdo.

dazh

Don’t use guards in the summer, but do in the winter, even then it’s only a raceblade on the back not full guards. Don’t wear waterproofs either, windproofs are fine and I just get wet and tolerate it. I actually prefer rim brakes on road bike, they have more modulation and don’t lock up the rear wheel like discs do, and they don’t squeak. Manhole covers are easily avoidable, and visibility to drivers can be managed by good road position (not in the gutter, and middle of the road on descents), and an extremely bright rear light used even in the daytime (HtS can testify to that).

Got gravel bike too, which is brilliant, but it gets ridden more in the winter.

Just spent lunch looking at carbon road bikes on Paul’s Cycles

Don’t get one of these cos I’ll be insanely jealous.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘MNPR – 11the July – Tour de Littleborough 2016 – Warning ROAD BIKE content!’ is closed to new replies.