Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Mnaic Street Preachers; This is The day (you are likely to punch your radio)
  • kilo

Did they ever listen to the The The version before going out an anihalating it with a crapola pub rock version – they sound like the overwieght useless musos you used to get at the Grey Horse in Kingston – utter, utter excrement and why do BBc 6 keep playing it?

flange
    Free Member

Panic Street Cleaners are rubbish, always have been and always will be. Utter tripe

kilo

This however is a new low even by their standards

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They are a bit rubbish aren’t they? Listened to Generation Terrorists yesterday and it is awful. Some good noodling though.

kilo

Music for fat lazy students who haven’t got the brains to be goths.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, I heard that pointless, turgid cover version on the radio yesterday. Couldn’t bring myself to post about it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

The holy bible was brilliant (or at least I thought it was at the time, not listened to it in years). Everything i’ve had the misfortune to hear in the past 10 years or so has been dire.

tang
    Free Member

the most over rated band in the uk and they have slayed it to a panful death. the the(matt johnson) on the other hand one of the most under rated bands of all time. went to see them a few times, brilliant. soul mining on right now and mind bomb lyrics are more current than on release!

DezB
    Free Member

This was good
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=7Z75uaReMIQ[/video]

They should never have sacked Richie.

meehaja
    Free Member

Best band I ever heard, until I heard the clash. Never looked back. Nice eyeliner though.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Bradfield was on one of those songwriters circle programmes recently… Totally out of his depth…. And the Lyrics (by Wire ?) always suck and barely scan.

One decent album.

trailmonkey

i still like motorcycle emptiness.

don’t like anything else though.

Sawyer
    Free Member

Everything Must Go is a decent album.

saladdodger
    Free Member

yep I agree they realy fugged up a good track with there pants rendition of a superb track

CountZero

The only band that I admit to having a deep and overwhelming dislike for. Even more than Oasis, who at least managed some reasonable lyrics that scanned. I mean, WTF does ‘Motorcycle Emptiness’ actually mean? The sort of turgid pseudo-poetry that a gloomy teen scribbles on their excercise book, and and equivalent level of politics too. I really, really wish they’d call it a day.
    …and it ain’t ‘cos they is welsh, boyo, look you. I like welsh bands, I just loath the Manics.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

( BEFORE I BEGIN I’M WELSH SO BIASED)

IMO virtually everything since the ‘Everything Must Go’ was/has been MOR tripe.

There have a been a few ok songs since, ‘if you tolerate this’ – ‘masses for the classes’ – ‘Intravenous Agnostic’

Generation terrorists is a classic first album, over the top, taking the p*ss teenage angst… (rose tinted specs on – showing my age)if you compare it to most young new bands in the last 10-15 years they could take a lesson from the album and it would blow them apart. some of the guitar work was beyond their years, yes they were young and their political views were a laugh but they stood out compared to some of the utter fekin shit that is around these days.

the holy bible was a totally messed up album but had some classics on there, their best album by far, the anger and hatred is amazing.

It has been sad to see them become fat old men, but i guess it happens to many bands in the end.

i think this song is their last and they will never come back (hopefully)

Thank you manics, had some good gigs, the old cardiff astoria gig when i nearly passed out when they played virtually the whole of the ‘holy bible’ and had to stop for the crowd to calm down, then Newport centre was a classic not long after Richie left…

rose tinted spec off.

good night

mintimperial

The Holy Bible is one of the best albums ever released by any band ever. Still love playing that record really loud when I’m feeling angry.

sc-xc

I remember seeing them a couple of times at the old JB’s in Dudley. £3 in and £1.50 for a can of Red Stripe.

Terrible then – and that was with the arm slashing crybaby.

They promised they would make one great record then **** off. They did neither, and exist so that Chris Rea fans have something else to listen to.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

They promised they would make one great record then **** off. They did neither, and exist so that Chris Rea fans have something else to listen to.

pmsl

emsz
    Free Member

Awful awful they try way too hard.

plus my housemate LUVS them and I have to listen the constantly. arrrrgggghhhhhh

colournoise

Generation Terrorists was a decent album.

The Holy Bible is one of the most beautifully spiteful albums I know.

Since then they have usually managed a couple of decent tracks per album amonst the (immaculately played and sung) MoR blandness. Since they lost Richey the anger that drove their best stuff pretty much has been lost too.

Still have a soft spot for them though, and to be fair they have mangled one of The The’s weakest moments.

slainte 😳 rob

Napalm
    Free Member

Sc-xc, you used to go to the original JB’s behind Pathfinder, up the road from the Lamp Tavern?
    I used to go 3 weekends out 4, saw U2, Ruts, Tourists, Police, Bauhaus & everyone else there – great venue once you got past Jimmy the Con.

As for the Manics, huge fan, Clash spirit lives on.

cakefacesmallblock

Generation Terrorists. One of my favourite albums of all time…..and I’ve been around a long time.

djglover
    Free Member

Went MEGA SHITE BIG TIME after the first two albums

La Tristesse Durera & Motorcycle emptiness are 2 of my favorite songs though

djglover
    Free Member

<Double post>

monkey_boy
    Free Member

f*ckin av it butt! when festivals were festivals 😉

whatever happned to Phoenix?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpVVs4hsu1E&feature=related[/video]

fubar
    Free Member

It was my nomination in this recent thread:- http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/most-improbable-cover-version/page/2

although it’s a poor cover it still can’t sink to the depths of Coldplay ‘Paradise’ (that’s ironic right ?)…[primary] school girl lyrics

sc-xc

the original JB’s behind Pathfinder, up the road from the Lamp Tavern?

Oh yes. You were before my time though….started in ’89 so got to see Stuffies, Jesus Jones, Blur, Roses, Ride, Levellers etc etc.

Was up there Tue/Thur/Fri until about ’94, then discovered clubbing and E. Great place, and a shame that the new place died a death. I hear it’s being resurrected as a venue and they are putting Sam back in charge though 8)

Napalm
    Free Member

Now that was a proper venue; thanks for the picture.
    Btw Jesus Jones playing in London soon & a UK tour in 2012.

DezB
    Free Member

As for the Manics, huge fan, Clash spirit lives on.

Someone’s having a f&(^ing LAUGH!

zokes
    Free Member

La Tristesse Durera & Motorcycle emptiness are 2 of my favorite songs though

+1

GW
    Free Member

I heard the opening few chords on the radio the other day and not having heard The The in absolutley ages rushed over to turn up the volume.. when the vocals kicked in I was across the other side of the room feeling aurally violated. (and not in a good way 😉 )

Garry_Lager

( BEFORE I BEGIN I’M WELSH SO BIASED)

IMO virtually everything since the ‘Everything Must Go’ was/has been MOR tripe.

There have a been a few ok songs since, ‘if you tolerate this’ – ‘masses for the classes’ – ‘Intravenous Agnostic’

Generation terrorists is a classic first album, over the top, taking the p*ss teenage angst… (rose tinted specs on – showing my age)if you compare it to most young new bands in the last 10-15 years they could take a lesson from the album and it would blow them apart. some of the guitar work was beyond their years, yes they were young and their political views were a laugh but they stood out compared to some of the utter fekin shit that is around these days.

the holy bible was a totally messed up album but had some classics on there, their best album by far, the anger and hatred is amazing.

It has been sad to see them become fat old men, but i guess it happens to many bands in the end.

i think this song is their last and they will never come back (hopefully)

Thank you manics, had some good gigs, the old cardiff astoria gig when i nearly passed out when they played virtually the whole of the ‘holy bible’ and had to stop for the crowd to calm down, then Newport centre was a classic not long after Richie left…

rose tinted spec off.

good night Is right Monkey Boy. Great band to follow back in the day. Yeah they talked a good song more than played one but they had their moments. They’re always going to get some stick taking on a sacred cow cover from 80s The The.

Not listened to the manics in beards, but did they not fk up pretty badly with their second album? Recall it being really poor and sort of boring.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I watched thirty seconds of them at v this year and **** off!!

tang
    Free Member

tbh I’d have been happier if ‘2 shoes’ had covered it.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i was physically sick when i heard the msp murdering a classic. Soul Mining & infected should be national treasures and no one should be allowed to alter or mess with. End of.

carbon337
    Free Member

Post Holy Bible they are shocking, in fact I’d call them embarrassing

OmarLittle
    Free Member

The Holy Bible is immense.

In terms of their legacy they made a huge mistake not changing their name – every shit thing they do now just tarnishes their past in a way that a shit Foo Fighters song isn’t ever going to tarnish In Utero.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Mnaic Street Preachers; This is The day (you are likely to punch your radio)’ is closed to new replies.