Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Mmmmmmmmm tools :D (I love my shed content)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Spent £180 so far on tools and garrage stuff this week 😀

So far this week:
    *Torque wrench for the car
    *6" bearing puller
    *feeler guage
    *vacuum brake bleeder
    *axel stands
    All for the sake of changeing a brake hose (and subsequently ruined disks and pads) !

Next up, a trip to B&Q to buy some 1" plywood to build a propper workbench out of 😀 😀

Then I'm off shopping for a vice 😀 😀 😀

I love my shed

IanMunro
    Free Member

I just got one of these and some pickling salts.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

tinas, 1" plywood? 😯 If you can get it, can't think how expensive it would be. A reasonable compromise between cost and hardness is floor boarding. Not actual floor boards, but the glued fibre product you put down if you are carpeting over the top. Usually comes in 8'x4' sheets

nonk
    Free Member

Whats yon thing then ian?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

about £25 for a 8×4' sheet of softwood ply at B&Q, plan is to buy a sheet of that, cut 6" strips off each side (at B&Q) then use those to make the edges double thickness for bolting the vice onto.

4×4" softwood legs x 6

Then back and sides from thin (6mm ish) ply to give the whole thing some propper rigidity.

should get a 7'x3' bench out of 1 8×4 of 25mm, 1 of 6mm, and about 20ft of 4×4".

timber

just air drying the timber for my workbench after milling it last week, having cut it down the previous

think I may go look in the timber store and see if we we still have those 4"thick oak off-cuts

ourmaninthenorth

should get a 7'x3' bench out of 1 8×4 of 25mm, 1 of 6mm, and about 20ft of 4×4".

Sounds sensible. I've got my notebook in front of me when I did the calcs to get the max bench pieces out of the least amount of wood. Sadly, I can barely decipher it.

Must have made sense at the time, as I turned this:

Into this:

falkirk-mark

you turned a car into a workbench?

ourmaninthenorth

you turned a car into a workbench?

An impressive feat, I'm sure you'll admit.

😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Whats yon thing then ian?

Tis a boring head for my lathe for boring things.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ian – hope it wasnt expensive – could have just let the wood it ask TJ a question he has an opinion on 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Hrmph, I've just spent £2000 on tools! (600 mower, 200 brush cutter, 300 henchman ladders, 600 trailer, 300 hand tools!) Will the spending ever end?

legspin
    Free Member

Ian that's a boring head for a r7 type head in a Bridgeport milling machine, good luck using it on your lathe

Inbred456
    Free Member

Good luck with the boring bar set, one division is one thou on the radius, that is 0.05mm on the diameter. You'll struggle to get a bearing fit with one of those! That's providing the quill is not worn.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm not planning to get a bearing fit, getting a chimney fit. 🙂
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcs6qXnCCk4
    /edit Just checked the thread pitch it's 1 thou on the diameter for this one.

legspin
    Free Member

Any toolmaker could bore to a thou with one of those. Just not in a lathe.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ian that's a boring head for a r7 type head in a Bridgeport milling machine, good luck using it on your lathe

Indeed the manufacturer's picture is of an R7 type, Well R8 if we're going to nitpick 🙂 The one actually supplied has a number 3 morse taper which fits the mill head on my lathe.
    http://www.warco.co.uk/productimages/documents/P15.pdf

Inbred456
    Free Member

A thou on the diameter is better, just out of curiosity how much did it cost? Are the tools 1/2" diameter?

samuri
    Free Member

Tis a boring head for my lathe for boring things.

If you like. They look suspiciously like dildo attachments for masochists to me.

IanMunro
    Free Member

It was £89 with VAT from http://www.chronos.ltd.uk
    It's got 3/4" holes and comes with 3/4 carbide tools and 1/2 HSS with an adapter for them. Quality obviously isn't top-draw at that price, but it should be fine for the sort of stuff I do.

legspin
    Free Member

Ahhhhh R8, nearly. I don't use the Bridgeport much these days.

That's one big boring head for a little lathe.

MussEd
    Free Member

And this is now one boring thread thanks to this twaddle.

mushrooms
    Free Member

These are quite handy,

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If anyone needs tooling, lathes, milling machines, pillar drills, grinding wheels, donkey saws, wood working tools, table saws, etc etc etc then let me know – I have tonnes of the stuff…

18bikes

now you tell me, having just bought a miller, today. let me know if you're serious? !

Si

project
    Free Member

Axminsterpowertools.co.uk

Zedsdead
    Free Member

18bikes – I am very serious. I have a fair amount sitting here. A barn full….

Tracey

Every man needs an axe

Tracey

harrytoo
    Free Member

Hey there Zed, where are you, could do with a little hobby lathe myself.

Cheers,

J.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hi Harry, I'm up in Scotland. Delivery can be arranged no problem if you can't pick up.

zaskar
    Free Member

Don't forget to insure your shed tools against tea-leaves 😯

sturmey
    Free Member

I once got sacked from my job for being a thou out. I was working at a bank at the time. I'll get me coat

Sandwich

This weeks tool buy was this

It makes light work of any tiles.

dn-chevy
    Free Member

if you want a strong bench that you can hammer on get a fire door and use that as the top as its 40mm thick and block wood constriction also dont use soft wood get the framing wood for the legs

Zedsdead
    Free Member

If anyone's interested the I have the following close to hand…

Colchester Bantam 800 lathe, c/w 3 jaw chuck, face plate, spindle adapter plate, steady, and coolant system etc
    Colchester Student MK2 lathe, c/w 3 & 4 jaw chucks, coolant system etc
    Quick change toolposts to suit lathes, toolholders and tooling to suit
    Collet chucks and collets to suit lathes
    Harrison horizontal milling machine c/w power feed to table, coolant system etc (machine virtually unused)
    Viceroy pillar drill, c/w ½” drill chuck & morse taper spindle, capacity 20mm dia. in steel; table a bit marked but ok, has lost the rise and fall rack so raise / lower table manually.
    77kg (1.5 cwt) anvil on stand
    Gas forge

Wadkin and Startrite table saws
    Wadkin and Startrite bandsaws
    Wadkin workshop disc / belt sanders (large!)
    Workshop dust extractors, single and dual 3” inlet
    A few incomplete Viceroy bowl lathes

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

any workbenches and vices zedsdead?

5lab

it's nearly finished (I doubt it ever will be, fully), so figured I'd give it a pimp..

my ex-kitchen 😀

currently trying to accumilate a full set of park cone spanners and waiting for halfrauds ratchet spanners to go down to half price

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

now thats the kinda kitchen i can get behind

i'm about to go and tidy my garage after this thread

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Mmmmmmmmm tools :D (I love my shed content)’ is closed to new replies.