Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mmmbop vs Ti
  • Northwind

Uh oh… CRC have the medium Ragley Ti in at a grand, that’s just affordable…

So, convince me otherwise! I really rate my Mmmbop but I consider it pretty flawed, the geometry’s superb, the weight’s good, I love the way it handles generally but the stiffness of it is just such a black mark- even with a fat rear tyre it’s all over the place as soon as it gets rocky, sometimes it feels like the rear end’s in the air more than it is on the ground. But I tolerate that for all the other goodness that it brings with it, it’s a fair tradeoff.

So, apparently the Ti is still pretty stiff but that’s all relative… can anyone compare the 2?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do concur with the mmmbop comments, kills me on long rides. Why not just get a blue pig?

Northwind

Weightweenieism 🙄

TBH it’s not comfort that bothers me, I’ve got a cast iron arse so it doesn’t really come into it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

In that case, it’s a bargain… buy it 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Err – I was suer I’d already replied to this….

Do you want a ride on mine? It’s only a 16″ but might give you some indication of differences.

Northwind

Aye mate, that’d be brilliant- I’d have to be honest with you though and say I don’t think I’ll be buying one at RRP! I’ve been looking for a used one but it’s at £1000 for the next… er… 3 minutes at CRC for a medium. But I’ve decided to pass for now, just not sure enough that it’s what I want to drop that sort of cash.

But a wee shot of yours would be fab, ideally I’d end up saying “No I don’t like this” and save my moneys :mrgreen:

mooman
    Free Member

the geometry’s superb, the weight’s good, I love the way it handles generally but the stiffness of it is just such a black mark- even with a fat rear tyre it’s all over the place as soon as it gets rocky, sometimes it feels like the rear end’s in the air more than it is on the ground.

I agree with all your comments. But would add that the stiff back end is something you can learn to love and use to the bikes already superb handling.
    I had a little go of a friends ti. It was also great … but not that much better than my mbop – certainly not a thousand pound better.
    Sadly, I put a big dent in the top tube of mine lastnight ..
    Even more sadder is that they dont make mmmbops anymore.

druidh
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Aye mate, that’d be brilliant- I’d have to be honest with you though and say I don’t think I’ll be buying one at RRP! I’ve been looking for a used one but it’s at £1000 for the next… er… 3 minutes at CRC for a medium. But I’ve decided to pass for now, just not sure enough that it’s what I want to drop that sort of cash.

But a wee shot of yours would be fab, ideally I’d end up saying “No I don’t like this” and save my moneysSorry – I really wasn’t meaning to sound like I was pushing you to buy one from TBC (or anyone really). Just genuinely wanting to help out. I’m likely to be away all day tomorrow, but you could pop up and borrow it this evening – pop back on Saturday sometime – if that suits?

Northwind

Never doubted that for a second mate! Sorry if I sounded otherwise, really not meant that way at all,

Just in tonight so missed your message but could I ask you to drop me an email at andrew@blackjack.f9.co.uk so we can sort it out without boring the forum 😉 And I’ll be even more in your debt!

trailertrash

The standard of grammar, punctuation, and on first examination also logic, in this thread is appalling. 0/10.

I say ‘Meh’.

druidh
    Free Member

comma before “and”???

trailertrash

That is called an “Oxford comma” and gives the desired spoken flow to the sentence 8)

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for the Oxford comma.

Northwind

This thread contained good advice and also a very generous offer from Druidh but until this point it felt sadly incomplete. But now that it also includes an english lesson, it feels whole. I thank you, sir.

rudedog
    Free Member

What happened to your cotic soul? Do the ragleys really ride that much better?

Just curious as I was considering changing my Handjob for one or these frames.

Northwind

rudedog – Member

What happened to your cotic soul? Do the ragleys really ride that much better?

Definately not better… But pretty different. What happened was I built up my old carrera as a rigid XC bike and started using that most of the time for local trails, and at the same time decided to build a harder use hardtail… So in came the Mmmbop, and after a while I just couldn’t justify keeping the Soul. Though I really miss it 🙁 I can see me buying another in a couple of years but just now I wanted something a bit more focused. For downhill trails and the like the Soul could cope fine but the Mmmbop allows me to play a bit more.

If I had to say which bike’s better though, it’s the Soul… By a fair bit. But I’ve the luxury of 3 bikes so I don’t mind having 2 to do the job that the Soul used to do by itself.

So I guess this lusting after a Ti is an attempt to get back what I’ve lost by switching to the Bop, without giving up any of what I’ve gained, if that makes sense.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mmmbop vs Ti’ is closed to new replies.